Shotgun differences

~kev~

When I first looked this site over, one of the very first things I noticed, there are a lot of over and under shotguns here. Is that because over and under are more favored, because double barrels are legal, because people in the UK can not own semi-autos.....?

Here in the states, a lot of people prefer pump or semi-auto for duck and bird hunting. There is a nitch of over and under shooters states, but not like what I am seeing on this site.

My personal preference, I like semi-auto or pump.

Not strictly true!! You can own autos with more than a two shot mag if you get one on FAC. Don't mislead our American friend..........

Many years ago even OU guns were frowned upon, in the field, in this country. The most popular guns were side by side, but you rarely see them now. Apparently five times more OUs are sold than side by sides these days. Just check the gun rack at your local gunshop.

I think alot has to do with cosmetic appearance as well and are prepared to pay the earth for some nice engraving and wood .............Alot over here like to take their OU's to bed with them :friends:

and what pray tell is wrong with that, my o/u is more protective than the other half :welcomeani::friends: , but saying that i'm not a 100% sure there really :welcomeani:

Martin

the OU was actually the predecessor to the SS.

The SS was designed AFTER the OU

Interesting. Where did you source that fact?

mmm..... good question, just a fact I picked up somewhere, god knows where. It's true though, the first shotguns were OU

:welcomeani: Kev, without an fac, you can have a 3 shot semi, with and fac section 1 you can have as many shots as you want, i know someone who has an extrema 2 with the full 12 shots!!! heres one of my beloved browning silvers:b_221332.jpg

Anyone told you you look like ernie els??

Hello Kev

Welcome to the site. I notice from your list that it doesn’t look like you use either an sbs or ou. Now I use sbs >ou and an 8 shot pump that I hold on part one firearms cert. They’ve all got their uses. But if you handle a best grade gun there is a something about the way they feel and handle. They’re not just a barrel to punt a load of lead at the target. It’s not an ownership thing; it’s how it becomes part of the shooting experience.

Ps what do you think of the silencers that we use over here.

The vast majority of turkey and waterfowl hunters use repeaters in the states and that's likely to not change anytime soon. For people that hunt in the uplands I imagine what is chosen is based more on budget than anything else. I know more people that shoot doubles or O/Us than repeaters and I think on most internet forums you will see a similar trend. Since WWII we Americans have wanted more. We wanted guns that held more cartridges, and we wanted cartridges that held more shot. That's why for the most part repeaters are hell for stout and swing like a 2x4. They had to first handle 3" cartridges and now 3 1/2". Except for people shooting steel shot that trend has switched somewhat. There is a renewed interest in double guns including pre-WWII American, British, and European guns and more new doubles and O/Us are available now than ever before. Trends swing back and forth and right now it is swinging away from pumps and autos in the U.S.

:friends:

I'm afraid if you turned up dressed like that guy at any pheasant shoot I've got access to toting a semi-auto, you wouldn't be allowed to shoot.

Are you talking about me? i have spoken to several people that use semis to go on driven pheasant shoots recently. i have a cupboard full of guns and have an IGI Domino o/u Game gun that i wopuld use at a formal event.....The only reason i was dressed in camo is that, that was a wild pheasant that got in the way while I was pigeon shooting!!!

ernie els

Who?? :welcomeani:

I think alot has to do with cosmetic appearance as well and are prepared to pay the earth for some nice engraving and wood .............Alot over here like to take their OU's to bed with them :friends:

and what pray tell is wrong with that, my o/u is more protective than the other half :yahoo::lol: , but saying that i'm not a 100% sure there really :welcomeani:

Martin

Absolutely nothing :friends::welcomeani:

:lol:

Interesting. Where did you source that fact?

mmm..... good question, just a fact I picked up somewhere, god knows where. It's true though, the first shotguns were OU

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't O/U shotguns only come in after 1878 when American inventor Daniel Myron LeFever was the first to develop a "hammerless" shotgun.

I've never seen a O/U hammer gun, has anyone else ?

BJ

the over and under was developed AFTER hammerless guns became available so, the side by side was BEFORE the O/U

cheers KW