Discovery 4

When running an expensive vehicle outside warranty, you are of course taking a risk.  Things can go wrong, and some of them can be eye wateringly expensive - and have significant 'downtime'.  On the other hand you may get nothing go wrong at all.  I think you just need to weigh up the risks (likelihood of problem, cost and downtime) to be comfortable that they are acceptable to you.

Don’t go for the 16 plate it will have add blue , my 15 plate just had the DPF , I have recently sold mine not because it was problematic just fancied a change, you will hear about the terminal crankshaft snap which has happened to a fair few people, maintain it religiously especially correct oil change.

16 hours ago, Wylye said:

They are lovely cars. Just keep a grand to one side somewhere in case the worst happens. I had one and did 60k miles with no trouble at all.

If almost anything happens your grand is going nowhere these days. 
Best keep hold of several grand.

10 minutes ago, London Best said:

If almost anything happens your grand is going nowhere these days. 
Best keep hold of several grand.

/\. This.  Spares prices have gone through the roof.  The 'electronic age' in cars with fancy lights, 'active' suspensions and ECU's for everything means that there is a lot to go wrong - and a computer that diagnoses to 'replace blocks' levels can make spares (not specifically LandRover) very costly.  May be a lot cheaper at an indie, but main dealer spares and labour costs can be eye watering.

20 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

/\. This.  Spares prices have gone through the roof.  The 'electronic age' in cars with fancy lights, 'active' suspensions and ECU's for everything means that there is a lot to go wrong - and a computer that diagnoses to 'replace blocks' levels can make spares (not specifically LandRover) very costly.  May be a lot cheaper at an indie, but main dealer spares and labour costs can be eye watering.

Just had some routine (necessary) replacements fitted to my 2009 110 CSW. And there is nothing fancy about that!
Discs, pads, callipers all round and radius arm bushes fitted. With Labour bill was nearly £1700. 
Only the labour upsets me as I have always done the work myself but am no longer able to do so without it hurting.

Edited by London Best

• 2 weeks later...

Pays your money and take your chances. Everthing these days is outrageous to fix, my mum just had the turbo and service on her Golf and it cost £1200! Everything needs coding to the car, so you need a PHD in computer stuff to fix most things. My Jag is 20 years old, its an x350 XJR, and it cost me £4250 about 7 years ago and when new was £65000. Goes very well for a 20 year old Jag but what keeps me awake at night is the air suspension as the dampers are £750 a corner and the electronic parking brake is another. The part isn't to bad but you have to drop the rear subframe it replace it and that opens bonus worms!

If you fancy one get it, if it breakes nothing you can do but it may not.