Racism

steve1066

I wonder whether any geriatric PW members remember Michael Flanders & Donald Swann singing "A song of patriotic prejudice".   Easily found on dozens of websites, but gently poking fun at people from other countries might be frowned upon nowadays.

7 hours ago, Miserableolgit said:

The Americans often use ‘Brit’s’ now.

It grates me how many British people use this term to describe themselves now. You never heard it until around 10 years ago and now it’s everywhere. I blame the tabloids mostly as The Sun in particular use it in headlines frequently.

5 hours ago, Genghis said:

It grates me how many British people use this term to describe themselves now. You never heard it until around 10 years ago and now it’s everywhere. I blame the tabloids mostly as The Sun in particular use it in headlines frequently.

The term grates with me full stop. 

14 hours ago, Genghis said:

You read "the Sun"..........................................:rolleyes:

On 21/06/2024 at 10:55, shaun4860 said:

Nah, we are Poms to the Aussies 

:shaun:

Common here in New Zealand too. It can be said in a matter of fact way, but is often used in a derogatory manner. It is specifically reserved for English, rather than British people in general I have found. I used to find it jarring, but it doesn't bother me now, I even find myself using it occasionally. 

1 hour ago, Houseplant said:

Common here in New Zealand too. It can be said in a matter of fact way, but is often used in a derogatory manner. It is specifically reserved for English, rather than British people in general I have found. I used to find it jarring, but it doesn't bother me now, I even find myself using it occasionally. 

Can’t say it would bother me.

The French at one time either called the English "les rosbeefs" after the roast beef they believed the English were meant to eat and their florid faces. Nowadays with the price of meat roast beef has been replaced with "gammon" for a certain type of florid faced person. The other expression for the English after observing the loutish behaviour of some football fans used to be "les **** offs" on account of those words being overheard. Less rude and quite commonplace is "les Anglais".

Edited by enfieldspares

On 20/06/2024 at 20:59, Zoli 12 guage said:

OK,hands up,it was probably me🤔

BUT,the main point i was getting at,was,WHY is my BASC membership (and the other members) money being spent on woke box ticking,when,on the issues that BASC are supposed to represent,us,the members on,they just roll over,accept the "belly rub" and just sell the members down the river.

hope that's clarified it👍

LEAD SHOT being the latest major example.

That has not clarified anything, you are just making things worse. Your comments were abhorrent, and you have yet to apologise in the thread, and yet here you are in another thread doubling down having a go at BASC again. 

5 minutes ago, Conor O'Gorman said:

That has not clarified anything, you are just making things worse. Your comments were abhorrent, and you have yet to apologise in the thread, and yet here you are in another thread doubling down having a go at BASC again. 

since when have you been a mod calling the shots carry on and your own past comments are going to reappear matey! 

1 hour ago, clangerman said:

since when have you been a mod calling the shots carry on and your own past comments are going to reappear matey! 

You need to read this fella 🙄

On 20/06/2024 at 21:31, JKD said:

It was a very derogatory comment, followed by unconnected remarks, as above. As has been proven, there's a time and place to ask certain questions 🤔

TBH I didn't think it was racist, just extremely bad taste and totally unnecessary, hence my return comment, which definitely wasn't racist ! Some people need to wind their necks in and think before pressing the reply button 🙄 

I can't call you a racist, but your reply doesn't make sense to me ? 🤷‍♂️

2 hours ago, Conor O'Gorman said:

AN APOLOGY 😂😂

are you ******* deluded🤔

your organisation is supposed to defend our sport against the majority of the population that thinks everyone with a gun is a criminal AND an incoming government that has an agenda against the shooting community in general.

DREAM ON BUD.

tell you what,this is the last subscription payment your organisation will ever get off me AND if there are any more members of this fine forum in the same mind they'll follow suit.

EDIT

would you care to tell your membership how much "this jolly" that you promoted cost the members of your fine organisation while,as an organisation you rolled over on the lead shot issue among others🤔

Edited by Zoli 12 guage

1 hour ago, Zoli 12 guage said:

AN APOLOGY 😂😂

are you ******* deluded🤔

your organisation is supposed to defend our sport against the majority of the population that thinks everyone with a gun is a criminal AND an incoming government that has an agenda against the shooting community in general.

DREAM ON BUD.

tell you what,this is the last subscription payment your organisation will ever get off me AND if there are any more members of this fine forum in the same mind they'll follow suit.

EDIT

would you care to tell your membership how much "this jolly" that you promoted cost the members of your fine organisation while,as an organisation you rolled over on the lead shot issue among others🤔

Oh dear !!! There's a time and place, like I said previously, and this thread ain't the place that's for sure 🙄

• welsh1 locked this topic