Paint brushes

sandspider

Morning all

Doing a bit of house painting on to wood yesterday, and it seems that my brushes leave a lot of brush marks - hard to get a decent finish. These are mid range brushes from Toolstation, maybe the odd Aldi set. Are there better brushes I should be looking at, or is it likely to be my paint, my technique / my prep?

I try not to spread the paint too thin, but it seems that the bristles bunch up and leave several distinct gaps with less paint along the brush line. (This is Leyland fast drying undercoat, but I seem to remember similar problems with top coats / gloss in the past)

Thanks

Hello, If you want to get good paint brushes that last and give smooth coats you need a proper shop like Brewers ,something like Hamilton or Harris Trade, Clean after each use, eg, Water base paint, Warm soapy water, Oil based paint , White spirit or Paint thinners, My old school friend, Time served in those days always buys the best brushes and some are many many years old

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

10 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, If you want to get good paint brushes that last and give smooth coats you need a proper shop like Brewers ,something like Hamilton or Harris Trade, Clean after each use, eg, Water base paint, Warm soapy water, Oil based paint , White spirit or Paint thinners, My old school friend, Time served in those days always buys the best brushes and some are many many years old

this.....buy the best(expensive) you can afford...and what is said above ..look after them

5 minutes ago, sandspider said:

Cheers. None of that sort of shop round my way, maybe something in Bristol...

I do look after my brushes, but even when new, they don't seem to leave a good finish. Maybe it is me!

Hello, New brushes need a good clean to get rid of the making process , keep brushes separate if oil or water based, thoroughly dry, There is a Brewers in Bristol

27 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

I NEVER use new brushes on top coats.

I break them in on under coating/sealing work.

I keep them scrupulously clean and dry.

If in between coats I wrap in clingfilm to keep wet and to save on cleaning and drying.

Oh and store the brushes upside down in an old tin.

Hello, Yep all of the above me to 😀 not that i do much painting now👍

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

On 03/07/2024 at 12:44, ditchman said:

when my hair brushes are clean....now and agin i soak them in hair conditioner for a couple of hours

Or soft rinse 👍

I just bought a bumper pack of cheapo for exterior walls and the post and rail fencing ive just put up, but for posh work pure bristle.