Rotator cuff injury.

JDog

I have it in my left shoulder. When it started some twelve weeks ag it was very painful such that it could keep you awake at night. Interestingly it it hasn't affect my shooting at all as is less painful in the day. I understand one of the surgeries is enlarging the tunnel which the muscles pass through? I haven't elected for surgery as, rest assured, it does eventually heal.

4 hours ago, enfieldspares said:

I have it in my left shoulder. When it started some twelve weeks ag it was very painful such that it could keep you awake at night. Interestingly it it hasn't affect my shooting at all as is less painful in the day. I understand one of the surgeries is enlarging the tunnel which the muscles pass through? I haven't elected for surgery as, rest assured, it does eventually heal.

I have torn Rotator cuffs on both shoulders 1st in 2015 which soon will need a shoulder replacement  due to losing the muscle around it and other done 2 years ago, getting worse but can't afford the time off work for surgery. My advise is if you can afford the time off then get the surgery done. Still shoot though Auto and 24g now but definitely feel it after 100 

Hi JDog,

I've had the surgery done, they cleaned out the tunnel then i had some Bovine tendon stitched in as well, took @ 12 weeks to full recovery. I did the Physio exercises religiously too, you will only suffer if you don't. Do not overdo anything and do what your told by the medical staff.

S

I had a situation where I  couldn't lift my left arm higher than horizontal and sideways movement was painful. The tendon was torn like a bit of freyed rag.  If you really have a torn tendon , It's  not a case of... I'll work through it or I can't afford the time off work because it doesn't get better.   If you had a broken leg it ain't going to get better without medical repair. All you'd end up with would be a crook  leg.   All I know is that it was a serious operation. They tried to do the job via keyhole but the damage was too extensive and the shoulder had to be opened right up.  I had a cut scar about 5 inches long.  I was out the same day and the wife drove me home.   I had been injected with nerve blocker to hold the pain under control and  was issued some heavy duty pain killers ( Tramadol) .  I  managed to get away with  paracetamol and  ibuprofen.   My arm was fixed in a heavy duty nylon sling 24/7 for some weeks. Sleeping was a bit difficult.  I  was told that I could drive when I felt able and confident.  BUT it was more a case that the arm didn't function.   To help with this I was issued a gadget which was a nylon strap that was fitted over a door which had a pulley ,a cord and two handles.  This was pulled (slowly and gently) by the good arm which pulled the damaged arm up and down.  The  pain was high and the movement was minimal to start with.  I have a fairly high pain threshold but I found the deep tissue healing took it's time. This is not an operation that few days off work will do.  I think that after a month to six weeks I was reasonably able to move the arm. but I couldnt lift the arm /hand up onto the gearstick. After about tree months I felt that the repair was fairly strong.  The surgeon told me that after about a year to 18 months it would be as good as it was going to be and that the tendon would be securely healed to the bone.  A word of warning.. overload the repair too early and you are likely to need another repair  operation which could take a long time to repair and it might never get back to what it could be.  The body told me what I I was capable of.  I  think that I was able to pick up my 20 Berreta after about 4 months. You may want to get back working and shooting but your body WILL decide what you will be capable of, not you.!

Ps. Don't  allow you GP to give you Corticosteroid  injections . they camouflage the pain but if you carry on working the damage gets more serious and the repair is more difficult. Leading to an even greater healing time. There ain't an easy way around this Problem.

Edited by Minky

1 hour ago, Minky said:

Don't  allow you GP to give you Corticosteroid  injections they camouflage the pain but if you carry on working the damage gets more serious and the repair is more difficult. Leading to an even greater healing time. 

Thank you for the warning. I was offered it and declined it to allow it to heal naturally. I now won't be having the injection.

Just bear in mind a "rotator cuff" injury isnt a great diagnosis of anything. I would make sure your friends physio/orthopaedic consultant is being 100% clear because the rotator cuff is not its own separate entity, rather it is a collective name for the group of muscles and their tendons that cross the shoulder joint. What needs to be ascertained is which one is causing the issues and why. Treatment on most rotator cuff issues can usually be sorted with physiotherapy if done correctly

2 hours ago, Rob85 said:

Treatment on most rotator cuff issues can usually be sorted with physiotherapy if done correctly

Sadly in my case it just made it worse, however they just made me keep on trying until it was inoperable and I just have to live with it by avoiding things that aggravate it.

15 hours ago, Minky said:

Ps. Don't  allow you GP to give you Corticosteroid  injections . they camouflage the pain but if you carry on working the damage gets more serious and the repair is more difficult. Leading to an even greater healing time. There ain't an easy way around this Problem.

Edit.  Having the above Injections is akin to giving someone who has a flat tyre, a pair of ear defenders. And telling them to keep driving.

In my case the doctor actively promoted the injections and they did remove the pain and I was given an injection about every 3 months. This allowed me to do what I had been doing  BUT when a new sports physiotherapist doctor came along she went absolutely didlo.  She said that when the surgeons have to work/repair jobs like this it is very difficult and makes recovery so much longer and the  end product weaker. At my 3 month review my consultant showed me some pictures of the operation and where the tendon should have been attached.  The tendon looked like a bit of ragged rope.  After a year I had full movement and strength,  being able to reach right up to be able to scratch the back of my neck. I do have an issue in as much as when I lay in bed I get a sort of nerve pain in the upper arm and shoulder joint and I have to put the arm across my chest as it was when it was in the sling. The good news is that there is no problem in shouldering a gun and no problem with recoil.

Edited by Minky

1 hour ago, Raja Clavata said:

Nerve block has now worn off, sleep is gonna be interesting. 2cm tear, which is effectively a complete detach, 8 stitches and four anchors.

If you get on the Tramadol you'll need a corkscrew.  Get the paracetamol and ibuprofen into operation before you feel the pain.  Have you got the arm in the blue nylon arm sling.?  When I had mine done it was the summer and my arm got very sweaty in it so we used a large triangular bandage for support. That worked well. Have you been issued the arm exerciser.  A nylon strap that goes over the top of a door with a pulley,  cord and two handles.?

I  do remember that there were lots of things that I had to have her help with.  You just don't know how difficult it is trying to do things with one hand.  Getting in and out of bed.  Getting dressed and  undressed.   Eating.  Try cutting your food up one handed. Going to the toilet.  Try getting  toilet paper off of the roll or dispenser one handed.  You might need some intimate assistance.  This went on for weeks. AND it's a good job that she can drive. 

Edited by Minky

Yeah I did myself an injury with tramadol previously. Took two rounds of co-dydramol last night as paracetamol wasn’t touching it after the nerve block wore off. I’ll load up the paracetamol and naproxen today.

I have the blue sling but did what you suggested last time as it was too hot.

Don’t have the pulley but we’ve got a multi gym and I do have an exercise sheet.

Thankyou for your reply. ATB