AYA CONUNDRUM

Have a boxlock aya that keeps misfiring on left barrel.

new hammer spring and firing pin fitted, pin protrudes same as right barrel.

get half a dozen shots with good strikes then odd ones with faint indention that don't go bang.

anyone had anything similar and prognosis of this.?

2 hours ago, Westley said:

I have seen some cartridges with a sunken primer which led to problems in a Merkel

I have had that with Merkels as well.

As a guess with the AyA, perhaps something is 'dragging' - causing a light strike.  Suggestions are;

• Firing pin 'catching/binding' as tight in it's cavity or on spring
  • Woodwork slightly swollen and touching something preventing full free movement of tumbler?
  • Cocking lever (which also trips the ejector I think) dragging/fouling so causing a light strike?

I have also had it in a Beretta SO where it would do it after the gun had had a wet day and was caused by wood swelling fractionally

6 minutes ago, snarepeg said:

All types of primer, have cleaned everything out double checked and its frustrating.

back on bench today for another theory, looking at hammer drag etc.

will keep updated on progress

Be sure also to check the cocking lever has no rubbing/drag/dirt/loose items limiting it's free movement.  I have seen a 'claw finger' broken off a spring where it joins the swivel which had got between the mainspring and the woodwork - and then limited the mainspring's travel.  That was intermittent as the broken claw was loose to move around.

On the plus side, it would be cheaper to buy another S x S than get yours repaired  🙄

I am scaling down my S x S guns, due to lack of usage. The prices I am likely to get are quite shocking.

1 hour ago, Westley said:

On the plus side, it would be cheaper to buy another S x S than get yours repaired  🙄

I am scaling down my S x S guns, due to lack of usage. The prices I am likely to get are quite shocking.

Ha, but this is a 28 guage, love it( sometimes😊) on s/s, have just got a WW GREENER in very nice condition for £75less than  a slab of cartridges and from agunshop at that, he has a rack of s/s so dont be booking an Holliday on what you will get.

will perceiver  with it, there is an answer to the problem, mystic meg might be next 👍😊🇬🇧

5 hours ago, Westley said:

Just curiosity, what gems do you have locked away?

16 hours ago, Westley said:

Only 2 left now, a Westley Richards boxlock ejector and an AyA no.2. Sidelock. Both 12 bore. I have sold the rest of given them away.

I bet they're both lovely! Still 2 amazing guns that I hope you can enjoy both of them for a long time to come!

5 hours ago, Down South said:

Good man, I would do the same. 😊

Now know how to strip, easy after first time.

hardest part is getting the hammer V spring in but an old screw driver notched on grinder and sorted .

saved time, money, and was educational.👍🇬🇧😊

On 08/07/2024 at 12:25, snarepeg said:

No, thrive on it👍😊

11 hours ago, Down South said:

Good man, I would do the same. 😊

I would strip the  mainspring out and reassemble without the mainspring then use a screwdriver or punch to push the hammer forward to feel the firing pin operation.   I would strip the firing pin out to inspect if it was clean and operational and that the hammer was free to move from the cocked position on the sear to the point where the hammer could hit the back of the interior action.  Sometimes problems like this are just a build up of general stuff.  .... powder, dirt, dust and bits of metal shaved off of the cases. I  had a similar misfire with my Browning 325 G6.  I cleaned everything out and the problem was rectified but I don't know what was the cause. But something changed.

Edited by Minky

7 hours ago, Minky said:

I would strip the  mainspring out and reassemble without the mainspring then use a screwdriver or punch to push the hammer forward to feel the firing pin operation.   I would strip the firing pin out to inspect if it was clean and operational and that the hammer was free to move from the cocked position on the sear to the point where the hammer could hit the back of the interior action.  Sometimes problems like this are just a build up of general stuff.  .... powder, dirt, dust and bits of metal shaved off of the cases. I  had a similar misfire with my Browning 325 G6.  I cleaned everything out and the problem was rectified but I don't know what was the cause. But something changed.

Full gun stripped, everything checked with new pin fitted now on song 👍🇬🇧

1 hour ago, snarepeg said:

From Chambers £24 posted, but made one up on the lathe from 6 mm stainless steel 👍🇬🇧

i used to get mine made up...they lasted longer and wernt prone to snapping.....i think the AYA ones were a bit too keen on the hardness

4 hours ago, snarepeg said:

From Chambers £24 posted, but made one up on the lathe from 6 mm stainless steel 👍🇬🇧

Stainless is too soft.
If you make any more use Silver Steel. Heat to cherry red and quench in water. Polish up and heat until the colours run blue at the shoulder then quench in oil. Polish again and fit. Job done, probably permanently. Never had to do one twice.

10 minutes ago, London Best said:

Stainless is too soft.
If you make any more use Silver Steel. Heat to cherry red and quench in water. Polish up and heat until the colours run blue at the shoulder then quench in oil. Polish again and fit. Job done, probably permanently. Never had to do one twice.

👍