WINTER OSR

Highlander

OK I’m prepared for some flak on this so let’s have your thoughts...following the huge increases in the price of grains ‘off farm’ this last harvest I notice many farmers are planting far larger areas than previously. No set aside payment has also meant increased field sizes etc with more land back in production. Causes us pigeon shooters some problems as there’s less access to the fields but the main thing is the much reduced areas of OSR being planted. Don’t know if others have noticed but many farms have seriously reduced their OSR planting this season. Now if that is the case and certainly round here it would appear to be so then does that mean more chances at Woody this winter? Usually we end up chasing Woody over huge areas as they move from rape field to rape field but with a smaller acreage of rape will that tend to concentrate the birds and make shooting more productive? What do you think?

have not noticed as much when been driving about now you mention it and you do notice a lot of setaside land is now ploughed. In some areas where ther is no rape it could mean some very good roost shooting to be had as they might stay in woods for the beech masts and acorns more.

In Yorkshire, there is about same amount of rape as of recent years :good:

The Stoggies are already on it ???

There are not the same quantities of berries and nuts in the woods :look:

As usual the weather will play it's part but there is an unbelievable number of birds about just now :/

Cheers, CB

In Yorkshire, there is about same amount of rape as of recent years :good:

The Stoggies are already on it ???

There are not the same quantities of berries and nuts in the woods :lol:

As usual the weather will play it's part but there is an unbelievable number of birds about just now :/

Cheers, CB

:look: :lol::lol:

Same round here. Seems the farms with rape have got loads in but then our usual rape areas are stuffed with wheat.

Have noticed this week birds drifting on osr in small numbers. Mainly seem to be striping the haw berries late afternoon.

I think a reduction in the amount of OSR going in can only benefit us pigeon shooters . How many times have you been sat in a hide shooting over OSR , and said to yourself there's to much rape and not enough shooters about to move them.

But so far in my patch i have'nt notice any reduction in OSR this year.

i have two farms next to each other, one is growing rape for the first time. the other has been growing it for years but not growing any this year. so now i can be in one place.

Hi Mossey835 There still seems to be alot of OSR around Northamptonshire with more than one farmer growing it for the first time that iv'e ever known them too Cheers Smokey

Wish my patch had less osr,i was standing in one spot last saturday on the pheasant shoot and looking around i couldnt see a field that didnt have osr in it,..about 9 fields and every one of them covered in osr and 1 of them has flowered!! its all yellow!!in november...whats all that about?

It obviously varies from area to area, as LB is reporting plenty of rape in NE Kent and yet down here in the southern part of the county, it seems to be mostly cereal this year.

Cereals did reach some very high prices this year, which may have created the motivation, or it could just be a quirk of the Farmers rotation policy.

The few fields of rape we have are being largely ignored, as the birds are in the woods.

I disturbed about 3-500 birds on Monday feeding on a hill covered in hawthorn bushes.

The yellow flower is a weed, which is part of the OSR family , and cannot be sprayed out. But it does make you think spring is here .

This "yellow weed" is Charlock, and will soon die off after a few hard frosts, it's not the OSR coming into flower early.

The acreage grown in my area is definitely down on previous years in favour of wheat, could mean some good sport, as others have said, they're on it already.

Cat.

This "yellow weed" is Charlock, and will soon die off after a few hard frosts, it's not the OSR coming into flower early.

The acreage grown in my area is definitely down on previous years in favour of wheat, could mean some good sport, as others have said, they're on it already.

Cat.

Yep Charlock is right. It can be sprayed off but v difficult as it's so close to OSR in genenetic makeup, best left to die back after a good frost.

Cat...dream on, when did Woody ever play ball like that BUT then again :good: . Definitely less OSR being grown around here this winter. Been out looking for birds this am and one farmer is re-sowing some 150 of OSR (didn't take well) with SB or he will just as soon as it drys out. Bloody forecasts, it's raining here again today and they promised sun! The biggest flocks 5/600 are on old wheat stubbles. At least it's reasonably dry underfoot for the birds. Think I'll go stalking!