Help a Newbie

Jay01

Afternoon all.  
I'm new to pigeon shooting, although patient and eager, 6 or so trips to the farm I have shot more squirrels than woodies and I’m starting to get teed off. I can build a great hide( picture added any advice welcome), decoy pattern and wind direction all thoughtfully placed with best looking flight line I can get close to ( to the best of my knowledge & research) and it’s not coming together. 
I met a chap on a duck shoot recently and luckily he is an old pro and gave me some tips, ie, my decoys were below par and not flocked, so I will be treating myself to new half shell flocked, I am not sure if jack pykes on a spring would be better or worse than A1’s half shelled? Also magnet choice.  A1 do what seems a reasonable lightweight magnet, and so does shoot warehouse. Can anyone offer any insight to quality/longevity from either?

thanks IMG_5954.jpeg.99d527f11e956f046e81778d52e4693c.jpeg

First off, welcome to PW.

So what are you decoying the birds on? Have you spotted the flight lines? Are there any birds feeding on the fields you look at?

If you are young and fit take dead birds for decoys, have you anything to give movement to your pattern?

If your getting “teed off” now, just wait till winters here, you will be selling your gear come next year. :)

Edited by old'un

Stubbles are usually the best to decoy over (as long as your protecting a crop .) Wheat .barley .rape . 

That looks like dried up grass in your photo ?  You need to set up where the pigeons want to feed .and that even includes the correct end of the field they want ..maybe wait till next years crop is sown in a few weeks  and decoy over the drillings  

Hello, Where in UK are you Jay ?? When I started some 50 plus years ago my Bible was a book called, Pigeon Shooting by Archie Coats, But a modern version might help with the new gear you can buy today, Do not give up as once you start reading and put into practice all your efforts will be rewarded

Thank you, 

Mainly decoying over laid barley & stubbles, yes the dried grass was just on the edge of this particular field.  I have found a regular flight line with some good spots along the line, however, the current challenges are that due to pheasants being in the pens and forests i am restricted to where I can shoot at until season is over, also fishing lakes on farm too which is a pain, so I am hoping that a magnet will help lure them my way somewhat? Currently the only other movement in my set up is a pair of bouncers but as I’m sure you’re all aware is that when the wind magically vanishes they don’t offer much, which is why I’m leaning more towards the jack pyke decoys with springs as well as a whirley. 
These are what I’m deciding between, I’m not sure if one will be of better quality than the other? And will the jack pyke decoys provide more movement or are the springs more likely to break?

https://www.a1decoy.co.uk/product/lightweight-pigeon-magnet-2-9-kg/

https://ukshootwarehouse.com/product/pro-motion-pigeon-magnet-rotary-machine-incl-rotary-bag/

https://www.bushwear.co.uk/products/12pk-flocked-1-2-shell-pigeon-decoy?gad_source=1&gbraid=0AAAAAD_Cie1FzrzILTcxUqC4cHg5WCJ03&gclid=Cj0KCQjwgL-3BhDnARIsAL6KZ6_bV37LzAWWOtdJVtIcCcRvScGAA-fwwdSbHe4BxjobzqtogmvahYEaAjA6EALw_wcB

https://www.a1decoy.co.uk/product/flocked-pigeon-shell/

4 hours ago, JKD said:

You should team up with kitchrat,,,, you'll make an awesome pair ! 😆😂😇

I will look out for him 🤔😂

21 minutes ago, ditchman said:

get yourself some binoculars...and watch from your car......just watch over days......

I have done this……I watched for 2 days in a row, on the third day I set up as close as I could to where I saw birds feeding and not a single bird appeared at the same time, they were completely non existent 🤣🤷🏻‍♂️  

it’s all a learning curve, I will up the ante on my equipment and persevere. Either way it excites me more than going to the clays and I’d even go as far as saying I’d rather go through the motions than go on another driven shoot.

14 hours ago, Jay01 said:

Thank you, 

Mainly decoying over laid barley & stubbles, yes the dried grass was just on the edge of this particular field.  I have found a regular flight line with some good spots along the line, however, the current challenges are that due to pheasants being in the pens and forests i am restricted to where I can shoot at until season is over, also fishing lakes on farm too which is a pain, so I am hoping that a magnet will help lure them my way somewhat? Currently the only other movement in my set up is a pair of bouncers but as I’m sure you’re all aware is that when the wind magically vanishes they don’t offer much, which is why I’m leaning more towards the jack pyke decoys with springs as well as a whirley. 
These are what I’m deciding between, I’m not sure if one will be of better quality than the other? And will the jack pyke decoys provide more movement or are the springs more likely to break?

https://www.a1decoy.co.uk/product/lightweight-pigeon-magnet-2-9-kg/

https://ukshootwarehouse.com/product/pro-motion-pigeon-magnet-rotary-machine-incl-rotary-bag/

https://www.bushwear.co.uk/products/12pk-flocked-1-2-shell-pigeon-decoy?gad_source=1&gbraid=0AAAAAD_Cie1FzrzILTcxUqC4cHg5WCJ03&gclid=Cj0KCQjwgL-3BhDnARIsAL6KZ6_bV37LzAWWOtdJVtIcCcRvScGAA-fwwdSbHe4BxjobzqtogmvahYEaAjA6EALw_wcB

https://www.a1decoy.co.uk/product/flocked-pigeon-shell/

I will look out for him 🤔😂

I have the A1 light weight magnet, does the job and seems well built, the only small fault I found was the plastic on a couple of the wing-screws started turning so replaced them with all steel wing-screws, dont bother with the plastic decoys or a speed controller for the magnet, just use dead birds at full speed.

as far as decoys go use dead birds if you can, I start with some plastic decoys but I replace them each time a make a kill, I only use plastic now because carrying half a dozen dead birds and all the gear is a bit of a struggle now.

If you decide to buy some plastic decoys just get some decent full or shell decoys, don't bother with the ones on springs, by the time a pigeon is close enough to see it rocking it should be dead.

Have not got one but a lot of people swear by a flapper, I might invest in one as they are a lot lighter.

next time you see some pigeons on a field walk them off and go and sit in your motor and watch what happens.

2 hours ago, old'un said:

I have the A1 light weight magnet, does the job and seems well built, the only small fault I found was the plastic on a couple of the wing-screws started turning so replaced them with all steel wing-screws, dont bother with the plastic decoys or a speed controller for the magnet, just use dead birds at full speed.

as far as decoys go use dead birds if you can, I start with some plastic decoys but I replace them each time a make a kill, I only use plastic now because carrying half a dozen dead birds and all the gear is a bit of a struggle now.

If you decide to buy some plastic decoys just get some decent full or shell decoys, don't bother with the ones on springs, by the time a pigeon is close enough to see it rocking it should be dead.

Have not got one but a lot of people swear by a flapper, I might invest in one as they are a lot lighter.

next time you see some pigeons on a field walk them off and go and sit in your motor and watch what happens.

Thank you old’un, I was leaning towards the A1 lightweight magnet, the speed control option was never on my radar, it could work for some but seemed more of a gimmick to me.  
Valid point regarding decoys on a spring, helps me make a decision.  I do use a trolly which makes life somewhat easier so I may look at a flapper too at some point but I think a magnet is more essential for me right now.  With your magnet did you spray paint or wrap it in camo tape at all? I have been advised to use some nato paint as they still have some glare on them? 

2 hours ago, mellors said:

The best advise is keep at it every day is different. 

Get a decent flapper the ff6 are best in my opinion. 

A1 lightweight magnet  and a few decoys. 

Don't buy cheap tat. 

Yeah that’s where I went wrong with my first set of decoys!!! More fool me!
The chap in my local GS was telling me about the ff6, once I play with a magnet a few times I’ll look into them more? 
I will definitely keep at it, I can’t quit just yet :)

I think you are trying to run before you can walk , you really need to spend more time on fieldcraft rather than worry about the various decoys that are on the market , you mentioned you are restricted by the game shooting , don't at all costs be tempted to go to close to the game covers and at this time of the year you could be better off to offer your help on shoot days and then you could have a word with the keeper in finding out where you can and can't go , are you putting your decoys out in the hope that Pigeons come into your decoys even though you didn't put any Pigeons up when you arrived on site ? , or did you look the day before and was the wind the same direction as it is on the day you were setting up.

There are loads of books and d v ds on Pigeon shooting which are all well and good but if you haven't got many Pigeons then you could be reading of watching d v ds a sight more than you will be shooting .  GOOD LUCK in shooting a few .      MM

Edited by marsh man

4 hours ago, Jay01 said:

Thank you old’un, I was leaning towards the A1 lightweight magnet, the speed control option was never on my radar, it could work for some but seemed more of a gimmick to me.  
Valid point regarding decoys on a spring, helps me make a decision.  I do use a trolly which makes life somewhat easier so I may look at a flapper too at some point but I think a magnet is more essential for me right now.  With your magnet did you spray paint or wrap it in camo tape at all? I have been advised to use some nato paint as they still have some glare on them? 

No, don't think painting or putting camo tape on it will make much difference, I never have but if it make you feel more confident/happy then crack on.

Reading the field, as you have just started you will not have seen what to look out for, although you may have some idea, I don't know, basically its simple really, you need to find a field that they want with birds coming and going, once you find a potential field sit and watch for 15-30 minutes, at this point you may spot a flightline or two and birds landing in one part of the field, don't jump yet as this might not be the true picture, next out of the car and walk down/up the field clapping your hands a few times, also make sure any birds in the trees go, hopefully they brake-up a bit and go in different directions, go back to your car and watch, note where they are coming from and where they seem to want on the field, once there's a good number down do the same again, hopefully they follow the same pattern as before....decision time, where to setup, generally you want the wind behind or from the left or right but sometimes not always possible.

The above is just a general idea, you may find you have to move once the gun starts talking but if all goes to plan and your in the right place and the birds return you will hopefully get a bit of shooting.

Just to say you will find summer pigeons totally different to winter pigeons.

Jay01, a shopkeeper of any variety will try to sell you stuff.

It will often be stuff you DON'T need.

He has a business to run.

Observation, reconnaissance, call it what you will, is the thing you need to learn followed swiftly by FIELDCRAFT.

Get out and look, best with a pair of binoculars as you can cover more ground.

Work out where the WP's WANT to be, that is where you NEED to be to set up a simple pattern that will attract them within shooting range.

Your hide is only there to "HIDE" you from the WP's eyes. It does not need to be particularly good, certainly not "SNIPER" class.

I have had phone calls from Mates who can see my hide against the hedges from a road that they are driving past on.

Having seen my car they know it is me.

The calls normally mention that they can spot my hide easily.

I always ask, "but can you see me?" Invariably they can't because the hide and my hide discipline is working.

Fill in the location part of your PW Profile and you might be lucky enough to be invited out to watch and learn.

19 hours ago, Jay01 said:

Yeah that’s where I went wrong with my first set of decoys!!! More fool me!
The chap in my local GS was telling me about the ff6, once I play with a magnet a few times I’ll look into them more? 
I will definitely keep at it, I can’t quit just yet

Can you post a couple of pictures of the decoys you have.

1 hour ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Jay01, a shopkeeper of any variety will try to sell you stuff.

It will often be stuff you DON'T need.

He has a business to run.

Observation, reconnaissance, call it what you will, is the thing you need to learn followed swiftly by FIELDCRAFT.

Get out and look, best with a pair of binoculars as you can cover more ground.

Work out where the WP's WANT to be, that is where you NEED to be to set up a simple pattern that will attract them within shooting range.

Your hide is only there to "HIDE" you from the WP's eyes. It does not need to be particularly good, certainly not "SNIPER" class.

I have had phone calls from Mates who can see my hide against the hedges from a road that they are driving past on.

Having seen my car they know it is me.

The calls normally mention that they can spot my hide easily.

I always ask, "but can you see me?" Invariably they can't because the hide and my hide discipline is working.

Fill in the location part of your PW Profile and you might be lucky enough to be invited out to watch and learn.

Marsh man and old’un also mentioned field craft, it’s definitely an aspect I haven’t overly focused on. I will definitely be trying their suggestions.

I will complete my profile later on because what you mentioned is I think exactly what I need, thank you.