£76 to Fill the Landrover

pavman

i've got an M reg 90 300tdi van that i use every day. doing atleast 100-120 miles a day. going on 2-3 months now, and its never let me down yet, not even a sputter starting. she got serviced the other day and shes in top condition, apart from the usual maintenance jobs that need doing. shes a fine beast!

i do hear some stories of them new ones, stick the old simple tdi's! the less new fan dangle technology, the less that can go wrong!

The new defenders have got a transit van engine in it.

Why is that?

Have you noticed that when the government loses something, (court cases, computer discs, Northern Rock loans, wars, etc) the tax is increased on fags, booze and fuel?

So, we're being punished for the government's incompetence! I'd say that was clever on their part and we are fools for standing for it!

FC

Edit: Question mark.

Edited by Floating Chamber

why not just use veg oil ? and if you buy the kit which costs about 400 then you can use about 90% veg and at what 50p a litre whos moaning at that

Hi

I use veggie oil in my old range rover.75/25 in winter and 50/50 in summer.56p ltr at sainsburys.No mods to engine and runs ok

Hogey

Taxed at 40% on my wage then taxed on my Diesel its now costing me £75 plus a week just to get about to work and down to the marsh twice a week for a shot not to mention car tax and VAT on the service bill to keep me on the road, we have rubbish road links in Suffolk/Norfolk so where may I ask is my money being spent?

Well i certainly wouldn't mind paying for fuel if i was earning what you are. Try a little subtlety when gripeing as most folks dont earn what you do and still have to pay the same price for fuel :blink: .

ac I take your point however did you stop to think how I got to this position in life?

its all relevant to the risk and sacrifices you take in life, I have spent 16 years of my working life on offshore oilrigs or overseas working away from my family in a high risk trade running high $ operations and if things go wrong others have relied on me to help put it right.

I also suffered a terrible accident at sea along the way and almost lost my left arm, I am 20% disabled for life and as a result it effects my shooting, but you don’t hear me complain and unless I show you the scars you would not know

This sort of work naturally attracts a premium rate as most folk like to be tucked up in their own bed at night and not sleeping in a desert next to some stinking local as I have. I have paid my dues time and again, true its been my occupation of choice (in a funny sort of way) so no gripes on that front. However I have a very humble background and have spent many nights at colleague over the years when others went out on the beer to improve my chances in life, now that I have please allow me the odd gripe when I feel I am once again being milked for my efforts to improve my situation

Edited by pavman

Well said.

I nearly said something similar, re: "luck" and wages - nothing about what I get paid has anything to do with luck. Blood, sweat, tears and effort. No silver spoon, no private education. Hard bloody graft. I

In this life you make your own luck, anyone can have anything they want IF they want it enough.

Taxed at 40% on my wage then taxed on my Diesel its now costing me £75 plus a week just to get about to work and down to the marsh twice a week for a shot not to mention car tax and VAT on the service bill to keep me on the road, we have rubbish road links in Suffolk/Norfolk so where may I ask is my money being spent?

Well i certainly wouldn't mind paying for fuel if i was earning what you are. Try a little subtlety when gripeing as most folks dont earn what you do and still have to pay the same price for fuel :blink: .

ac I take your point however did you stop to think how I got to this position in life?

its all relevant to the risk and sacrifices you take in life, I have spent 16 years of my working life on offshore oilrigs or overseas working away from my family in a high risk trade running high $ operations and if things go wrong others have relied on me to help put it right.

I also suffered a terrible accident at sea along the way and almost lost my left arm, I am 20% disabled for life and as a result it effects my shooting, but you don’t hear me complain and unless I show you the scars you would not know

This sort of work naturally attracts a premium rate as most folk like to be tucked up in their own bed at night and not sleeping in a desert next to some stinking local as I have. I have paid my dues time and again, true its been my occupation of choice (in a funny sort of way) so no gripes on that front. However I have a very humble background and have spent many nights at colleague over the years when others went out on the beer to improve my chances in life, now that I have please allow me the odd gripe when I feel I am once again being milked for my efforts to improve my situation

My sentiments exactly when I hear this rubbish- Its alright for you-you have a good job, well most of the time a well paid job is not given to you.

Well I did'nt do a five year apprenticeship to get paid the minimum wage- And when I ended up in war zones in Africa with bullets flying flying over my head I did'nt expect to do that for peanuts either......

Really? I thought teachers and police were on one of the best pension schemes in the country, think my dad was on 2/3 salary when he retired from teaching, not bad considering the amount that he paid in.

A warning to all is to start sticking your money away now, no matter how much per month as pensions in 20-30 years time will be worth ****** all and who's going to support you.

I also have worked hard to get where I am and now enjoy the benefits.

Pavman, your accident at sea sounds horrific, fair play to you.

Well i certainly wouldn't mind paying for fuel if i was earning what you are. Try a little subtlety when gripeing as most folks dont earn what you do and still have to pay the same price for fuel :lol: .

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz wake me up when you have finished your little sob story. There's nowt you can do about it unless your willing to overthrow the government or stop playing by their rules you would allways emigrate and become an imigrant so get used to it otherwise you will give yourself a coronary. PS i havent payed any tax for the last 6 years :blink: Must be the good acountant i use. In fact the tax man owes me one pound something at present :good:

I know several millionaires and to a man (and woman) they all work harder than I do, they have all taken bigger risks than I been prepared to and they all bloody well deserve their rewards. Especially as the stress of making them, often kills them.

Edit for clarity: they deserve the 'reward' bit, not the killer heart attack.

Edited by LEFTY478

Indeed, given that we do not live in Stalinist Russia it would not be outrageous to suggest that those that take risks and graft ought to get to keep a greater portion of the spoils than that to be divvied up to the government.

40% is harsh, especially if you run or are involved in a business where you have risk, committment and staff. Indeed, what we pay as a "partnership" for our own personal tax and for our staff who are on PAYE is a joke.

Accordingly, as I have just had my accountant tell me the bad news in my tax return I do consider that Pavman's gripe not to be outrageous. The tax on tax is very discreet and hallmarks the stealth taxation of this government.

I might feel differently if I thought the money was being well spent somewhere, even anywhere.

1 billion GBP on the Dome, that's all you have to bear in mind. Indeed, I can **** my own money up any wall and do not require the assistance of the government to do so.

Edited by Mungler

I would consider doing an LGP or biofuel conversion of some sort, infact I am considering such a conversion.

The fact is you get taxed all through your life. On your house, income, car, fuel, savings, and guess what..... when your dead they tax you again!

I went to a private school and mixed with a lot of kids from really wealthy backgrounds, and do you know what? Most of them are dropouts now, or earning very average amounts. My parents have had to work for what they have, and taught me to do the same. I could have sponged of them and gone and worked for my dads business, but I wanted to make it for myself. I went out, got and job at with a company and worked my way up from the bottom. I now earn good money have a nice house, and the best bit of all is that I know I have worked for it!

My accountant allways says only mugs pay tax. My accountant can offset a reasonable sum before i need to pay tax. Fuel for instance is a great bonus when put through the books, you still pay the tax at the pump but not from your pocket. There's lots of dodges my accountant uses and it allways amazes but at the same time dumbfounds me. The only drawback is having to keep every receipt even if its for a new bed :lol: . But put the boot on the other foot i,m sure that what i pay him would be the amount i would be paying in tax if the wife and i had to sort out the tax returns ourselves.

I would question the professionalism of your accountant saying statements like that, as what he is doing is illegal as deductions such as claiming private motoring fuel as a tax deduction is not allowed, I would also imagine there are some questionable deductions for other expenses which are not business related.

While no-one likes to pay tax, if you make profits you should pay your fair share, obviously there are ways to reduce your tax bill but if you are not paying tax on profits then you are leaving yourself more open to investigations by HMRC. They analyse all tax returns and have computers that can pick out returns that don't fit with the norm.

Also you have to remember that it is you that signs the tax return and not your accountant so it is you who are liable for any penalties and interest on incorrect tax returns, they can go back up to 6 years to look at your records (it is your duty to keep records for at least this long) and can go back further if they get permission of the court.

I'm not saying this to worry you but you should be aware of this.

I would question the professionalism of your accountant saying statements like that, as what he is doing is illegal as deductions such as claiming private motoring fuel as a tax deduction is not allowed, I would also imagine there are some questionable deductions for other expenses which are not business related.

While no-one likes to pay tax, if you make profits you should pay your fair share, obviously there are ways to reduce your tax bill but if you are not paying tax on profits then you are leaving yourself more open to investigations by HMRC. They analyse all tax returns and have computers that can pick out returns that don't fit with the norm.

Also you have to remember that it is you that signs the tax return and not your accountant so it is you who are liable for any penalties and interest on incorrect tax returns, they can go back up to 6 years to look at your records (it is your duty to keep records for at least this long) and can go back further if they get permission of the court.

Hmmmmm me thinks you're a Tax Inspector!!!!!!

And let's not forget Labour have dragged more than a million more earners into the 40% tax bracket due to fiscal drag (stealth) and that's without all the other stealth taxes. I read somewhere recently that families are paying 50% more to the tax man since Labour took office.

Plus they raided our pensions and sold our gold.

Good old Gordon, how does he get away with it?

And let's not forget Labour have dragged more than a million more earners into the 40% tax bracket due to fiscal drag (stealth) and that's without all the other stealth taxes. I read somewhere recently that families are paying 50% more to the tax man since Labour took office.

Plus they raided our pensions and sold our gold.

Good old Gordon, how does he get away with it?

they get away with it due to the good old british stiff upper lip. This country has allways been the same right through the ages so why should it be any differant nowdays. Just dont think about it to hard and let it ride othwise you will get to stressed about it. Pay your dues and smile :lol:

Hmmmmm me thinks you're a Tax Inspector!!!!!!

Nope just a professional accountant who knows that short term gains are not always the best