when is a pest a pest?

tiercel

When is a pest a pest?

When I read this thread. It made me think.

A weed in my garden is a wild flower in the hedgerow down the road.

If a species is not causing damage does it still retain its pest status?

Is a fox on arable land that lives of rats, a pest?

Because of VHD one island of the Welsh coast lost all the rabbits that lived there, now the Puffins have left because the grass has grown too tall and they do not feel secure. The pest status of rabbits is without question but in this case they were part of a bigger picture of ecology.

Without a shadow of a doubt pests have to be controlled.

My question is, do you feel that there is a time where culling is not warranted?

TC

so the pigeons in my garden dont fly ,just down the road to the local farm,and cause damage.your argument says if they are not doing damage at the time leave them alone :good::sly:

Read the post again. It is not an argument. It is a question asking your opinion.

TC

When is a pest a pest?

Because of VHD one island of the Welsh coast lost all the rabbits that lived there, now the Puffins have left because the grass has grown too tall and they do not feel secure. The pest status of rabbits is without question but in this case they were part of a bigger picture of ecology.

My question is, do you feel that there is a time where culling is not warranted?

TC

Horses for courses TC.

We look on with a view to the bigger picture but there are many idiots out there that see the 5 second film.

Nothing you can do about them but fortunately they are largely ignored.

Keep the faith :good:

LB

There's always places where the animals are doing no harm and as a result should be left to their own devices. :sly: Problem is some people think the whole of the countryside is like that however as shooters we know that isn't the case.

FM :beer:

Ollie: You are far to wise for your age. :good:

When is a pest a pest?

TC

I totally see your point although others are looking at it more from a defensive attitude, I think it is correct in saying that with ever increasing development spewing onto green belt land can only mean one thing, and that is us as a race have invaded the natural environment in which creatures once lived and along with that comes responsibility. Every area and species as a result need individual attention and conservation, and in a lot of cases culling to keep populations in check is paramount but in a lot of cases sheer abundance in those populations gives us good sport!

When is a pest a pest?

TC

I totally see your point although others are looking at it more from a defensive attitude, I think it is correct in saying that with ever increasing development spewing onto green belt land can only mean one thing, and that is us as a race have invaded the natural environment in which creatures once lived and along with that comes responsibility. Every area and species as a result need individual attention and conservation, and in a lot of cases culling to keep populations in check is paramount but in a lot of cases sheer abundance in those populations gives us good sport!

thank you :good::sly:

When is a pest a pest?

TC

i've just posted something similar on another thread.

although i don't live in the countryside , i try to be the best countryman i can.

on the farms that are kind enough to give me shooting permission , i do my best to carry out the wishes of the farmer , these wishes don't normally include total anihalation (sp) of any animal.

most (if not all) farmers like to see a bit of wildlife about , and as i said in another thread , it's quite often the location that is the problem , not the animal.

eg , 2 rabbits on a 40 acre field of grass = not a problem

40 rabbits on a 2 acre paddock = a problem

it's up to us as countymen and pest controllers to keep the right balance .

top thread tc :good: , it does us all a bit of good to think about these things now and again.

I think pests are pests where they are perceived to be pests, by those requesting their control.

This can also vary by geographical location and changes in the "times".

We all march to a different drummer on a variety of issues, but this is probably one of the main ones.

I know Farmers that won't allow foxes to be shot on their land, as they believe they help control the rabbit population.

Some Farmers also like "a few " rabbits about.

Hares are scarce in some areas and cause little damage on arable farms, but you wouldn't want one in your orchard.

There is a long held theory that pigeons grazing the first shoots on the rape, help the crop to increase its ultimate yield.

If you don't keep horses, are moles really a problem ? I have never heard of cattle or sheep suffering an injury due to a mole.

In the 60's I lived near a lot of fruit farms that use to trap and destroy bullfinches by the 1000 to protect the fruit trees.

Jays are on the General Licence, but since the population explosion of magpies, I only see a handful in a year and haven't shot one for over 10 years.

Apart from rats, magpies and moles, I don't control any birds or mammals in the pest category in my garden.

I think pests are pests where they are perceived to be pests, by those requesting their control.

This can also vary by geographical location and changes in the "times".

We all march to a different drummer on a variety of issues, but this is probably one of the main ones.

I know Farmers that won't allow foxes to be shot on their land, as they believe they help control the rabbit population.

Some Farmers also like "a few " rabbits about.

Hares are scarce in some areas and cause little damage on arable farms, but you wouldn't want one in your orchard.

There is a long held theory that pigeons grazing the first shoots on the rape, help the crop to increase its ultimate yield.

If you don't keep horses, are moles really a problem ? I have never heard of cattle or sheep suffering an injury due to a mole.

In the 60's I lived near a lot of fruit farms that use to trap and destroy bullfinches by the 1000 to protect the fruit trees.

Jays are on the General Licence, but since the population explosion of magpies, I only see a handful in a year and haven't shot one for over 10 years.

Apart from rats, magpies and moles, I don't control any birds or mammals in the pest category in my garden.

:good: Some very interesting points there Cran, being in arable country here, we see things slightly different to you. Six hares eat as much young wheat in a day as one sheep, is the theory here, also if you have no hares, you get no coursers, so they have to go. Not my choice, I like to see them about, but he who pays the piper, calls the tune.

I've never heard the theory with pigeons and rape, it's true of geese and wheat, but only if the ground is dry enough so that the geese do not paddle the roots and cause them to rot. Pigeons are kept off rape from the start here.

Like you, I have never understood why moles are a problem, unless you are a green-keeper on a golf course in which case "Caddyshack" comes to mind.

When I was a boy we used to shoot starlings in cherry orchards as they caused huge amounts of damage, quite possible that we caused even more damage to cherries with the 12g, but it was fun and good practice, not to mention free cartridges to do it with.

As for the jays, it's odd isn't it? Virtually impossible to trap, rarely shot and yet the numbers do not increase, a case of nature being self-regulating is my only guess.

Edited by bob300w

well put tc

xxxsuzy

great inputxxxxxxxx :good::sly:

Please stop spamming Colxxxxxxx

Its a perfectly valid qeustion, which you could have answered if you were bothered to write a propper reponse.

There are some good replies here :beer:

Now my opinion:

To me, I only shoot 'pests' on land where the 'pest' is causing damage or problems. And I shoot to eat. Everything apart from 'scavengers' such as rats, fox, crows, etc.

In my opinion there is no such thing as a pest. There are only places that are being damaged by an overpopulation. Many people will say Deer are not a pest. Where I live, due to the fact there are so many, they have run out of food sources, and begun eating the newly planted trees and messing up the garden. I still dont see them as a pest, I just see it as a species on that land that needs to be reduced, so there is no longer a damage problem.

I have two woodies in my garden all the time .They feed under the bird feeder after the song birds have finished feeding and dropped food on the ground .I could no more shoot them than i could shoot my neibours childrens pet rabbits .Although being pests they are still entitled to make a living. Harnser .