Sloe gin

Shooting head

Shooterbonce,

I use the same quantities of damsons as for the sloe gin, also sugar. One refinement I forgot to add is this..........

after the job is done you will have some damsons soaked in gin as leftovers. My missus substitutes them for the dried fruit in a batch of scones. Deako can confirm she does a fair old job with cakes, and these scones are her claim to fame.

Eug

That sounds like a damn good idea! Much better than using normal fruit as well.

That idea with the freezer _should_ work. If I remember my old biology class, strawberries just turn to mush when they thaw, so lass fragile fruit should mush up pretty well too.

Good luck with it, but be prepared to not drink it for a good few years!

Wookie

i make sloe gin, also sloe pochinne(moonshine) :lol: man that stuff is gud, u dnt always have to use gin, pochinne just a stronger version of vodka and sloe pochinne is lovely, im just basically saying experiment! also elderberries are near ready u can make a sort of mulled wine, but dam its strong stuff 2 r 3 glasses are enuf!

wines - thats justa site with a few recipies

thats just site, i have many more if any1 wants them

enjoy Ozo :lol:

fill 1/3 rd of chosen fruit, 1/3 of white sugar then your chosen alcholic beverage. Shake every few days and store in a warm place i.e airing cupord.

After 6 months or so strain the fruit and use it in a fruit cake or melt some chocalate then add it to that.

Leave the contents of the bottle for another 6-24 months.

I currently have sloe gin, blackberry whisky and strawberry vodka ready for this coming hunting/shooting season. :lol:

Hint:

only add part of the sugar when you make the sloe gin.

Add the rest when you are ready to bottle it until it is sweet enough.

You can always add more sugar, but once in you can never take it out!

Also, try adding 4 bruised almonds per bottle of gin when making it. You can add spices such as cinnamon and cloves.

Also try making bullace gin. Bullaces are like tiny plums which grow in hedgerows, and the fruit and the bushes are similar to sloes in appearance, only the leaves and fruit are slightly bigger. I think the bushes don't have thorns..

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just a quick reply to the person who asked which gin to use as a base. When we travel to Spain, which is fairly frequent, we always bring back as much Larios gin as we can carry, it's mafe under licence from Gordons so it's good stuff for sloe gin or G&T. Shop around and you can pick it up for around 8 euros a litre which can't be bad.

I picked my sloes a bit later this year, hardly had much frost even then but they seemed less bitter than previous years, anyone else found this ?. I take my ex wifes Alsatian for a walk in the woods when we go sloe picking, the dopey sod gets up on it's back legs and picks some for itself, amazing what they will eat at times !!.

We've put down about 5 litres this year, how long do most of you leave the sloes in before draining and filtering ?, anybody got tips on filtering before final bottling ?

I leave mine for at least 3 months but have left some as much as 2 years! By that time it has changed colour from the normal mulberry to a kind of tawny brown.

The last batch I bottled I used a funnel and some coffee filter papers I bought from the supermarket - the kind that go into percolators / coffee machines. It took quite a while to get it all through but all the sediment was removed in one pass.

Piebob

• 7 months later...

Sloe vodka liqueur. Picked 6lb of sloes last weekend and left them in the fridge for a week. Pricked them all over this Saturday (a mere 2 hours' work :< ) and they're now in two demijohns with 3 pints of cheap vodka and 3lb of soft light brown sugar each.

According to Hugh FW, it's a case of shaking them every week for 6 months, then filtering. I estimate it'll be drinkable CHRISTMAS 2007... :thumbs:

All back to mine!

LS

Also try making bullace gin.  Bullaces are like tiny plums which grow in hedgerows, and the fruit and the bushes are similar to sloes in appearance, only the leaves and fruit are slightly bigger.  I think the bushes don't have thorns..

We call them bullis - and the bush definitely has thorns!!!!!!

The longer you leave them the better its gets.. You can use vodka as well as gin - tends to be cheaper too

Edited by potshot