Good Camo netting, birds can't see me.....

Cosd

Is it me or does anyone else have difficulty looking through camo netting?

I know the rule about moving around as least as possible, but I find myself bobbing up and down,

side to side to keep a look out.

I can't be the only person with this problem.........am I? :lol:

Wear a face mask and look over the top. You have to shoot over the net anyway, it gives you a few milliseconds more time, and as we all know, a pigeon can be two field away in that time! :blush:

Is it OK to set the net to a height where you can see over it whilst seated?

I was shown that you need to be below the line until last moment?

I know a lot of common sense comes into play here, but do many people sit behind the net with head above?

As above wear a face net and camo mesh type gloves if you can get away with them or any other type of gloves in camo for that matter but sit with your head just over the net so that you can just see the pigeons. :lol:

Edited by DR JAMES

I normally sit looking over the top of the hide (just) with mask and gloves on. When i detect pigeon coming my way, from a field of more i lean forward and track them through the net. Yes sometimes i lose them and have to trust that i will see them again before they are in and down.

As for the odd few that get in without me seeing them, head up, they still seem to be comitted and assume that as i haven't seen them they haven't seen me, however stillness is the key here - do not suddenly duck or snap your head round as they will see you.

I also find that sometimes when i am ********* around in the hide, searching for sandwiches, pouring tea, having a stretch, blowing my nose with a big white hanky, repairing the hide when i turn my attention back to the pigeon i have one wandering about in my deeks...... so being below the hide sitting stock still isn't always necessary.

What you must avoid at all costs, is any kind of shiney flash. Barrels, hide poles, magnet arms, bouncer poles or shiney deeks. These always without fail send pigeon into the next county, sometimes from over half a field away.

Edited by Sprinter

Thanks for the advice sprinter.

That makes me feel so much better because even though I really like this new net I just got

(20foot long by 8 foot high) I really do miss standing in a well hidden area with no net obstructing my view.

Sometimes I'm sitting behind a net and I'm like one of those bobbin dogs you used to get on car backshelves ???

So place the net about nose height whilst seated, head just popping over the line with a face net that I already

wear :lol: (overkill I know)

• 2 months later...

i use a stealth net brilliant bit of kit.

try setting the net at neck height when you standup.

then shoot from a standing posistion , KEEP STILL,when you see birds approaching, duck down peer through the net ,

pop up and shoot,

i get much better results from a standing posistion.

good luck.

:good::lol:

Hi All,

Although I too wear a face mask, I have some very thin Camo netting, not sure if it's the "Stealth" netting reffered to in earlier posts or not.

Basically it's Mosquito style netting which I bought cut off a large roll, it has the realtree pattern, weigh's next to nothing and folds up so small it's ideal.

Anyway, never worry these days that much about where I put my hide, just put up the Hide Poles, attach the net, (which I have cut many holes along the top edge so that it always fits no matter where the poles are) and away I go, sometimes feel that I'm stuck out like a sore thumb compared to how I used to make hides years ago but the results are amazing.

It's so easy to see through yet the pigeons just don't seem to see you at all.

It works great for me, so much so that a bought another piece 16ft long so that I have a spare.

Next time I'm out I'll put up a couple of pics of it, it doesn't look fantastic but trust me it works a treat. (See Sporting Pics for results last weekend)

Hewey.

Hi All,

Although I too wear a face mask, I have some very thin Camo netting, not sure if it's the "Stealth" netting reffered to in earlier posts or not.

Basically it's Mosquito style netting which I bought cut off a large roll, it has the realtree pattern, weigh's next to nothing and folds up so small it's ideal.

Anyway, never worry these days that much about where I put my hide, just put up the Hide Poles, attach the net, (which I have cut many holes along the top edge so that it always fits no matter where the poles are) and away I go, sometimes feel that I'm stuck out like a sore thumb compared to how I used to make hides years ago but the results are amazing.

It's so easy to see through yet the pigeons just don't seem to see you at all.

It works great for me, so much so that a bought another piece 16ft long so that I have a spare.

Next time I'm out I'll put up a couple of pics of it, it doesn't look fantastic but trust me it works a treat. (See Sporting Pics for results last weekend)

Hewey.

Thanks for that Hewey,

I actually called our sponsors yesterday and am ordering the 2 ply Stealth net. It works exactly the same as what you have described, and the big advantage for me is the fact that it folds up to a shoe box size. I can't wait to get it as my current net which does work well fills a black bin liner, and because I can't take a car close to my shooting spot, it's a bit of a drag.

I will be putting up my existing net for sale as soon as I get the new one here on the forum if anyone is interested. I'll have a measure but its about 6' x 20', mainly green with splashes of brown one side and mainly brown with splashes of green on the other side, so it,s pretty versatile to the background without having to take two nets.