Dyslexia rules- KO?

Hodmedod.one

OK, as this seems to be the time of year for having a rant- here goes.

I am hacked off with reading comments from (mainly young) members along the lines of "I carnt help mi speling cuz im dizlyxec". They then seem to think they have the right to post barely intelligible textspeakified dross that we are supposed to go to the trouble of deciphering/translating. We also get comments such as "Iff u downt lyke mi spelyng - tuf"

When I was at school (many years ago, I admit) the antidote for poor spelling was a combination of repeating words parrot-fashion until you knew how to spell them and a liberal dose of writing them time and time again until you knew how to both spell and write them. As an additional teaching aid, a regular whack around the ear-hole was thrown in for good measure (and probably the teachers enjoyment).

I do not doubt for one minute that some people genuinely do have dyslexia. I also do not doubt that a lot more people use dyslexia as an excuse to use text speak based twaddle as a form of communication.

If you really do have problems why don't you use the poxy spellchecker?

Rante ovur, i feal mutch betr knaw :mad:

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am hacked off with reading comments from (mainly young) members along the lines of "I carnt help mi speling cuz im dizlyxec". They then seem to think they have the right to post barely intelligible textspeakified dross that we are supposed to go to the trouble of deciphering/translating. We also get comments such as "Iff u downt lyke mi spelyng - tuf"

When I was at school (many years ago, I admit) the antidote for poor spelling was a combination of repeating words parrot-fashion until you knew how to spell them and a liberal dose of writing them time and time again until you knew how to both spell and write them. As an additional teaching aid, a regular whack around the ear-hole was thrown in for good measure (and probably the teachers enjoyment).

I do not doubt for one minute that some people genuinely do have dyslexia. I also do not doubt that a lot more people use dyslexia as an excuse to use text speak based twaddle as a form of communication.

Yep, this came up a week or two back, and I agree 100%, the general feeling then seemed to be "if they can't be bothered to use a spell checker, then I can't be bothered to read or answer their posting".

Google toolbar contains a spellchecker. No menus to navigate, just a button on the menu bar. It checks all the text written on any web form, so perfect for use on this forum. However, I don't think it will translate text speak to correct English.

Maybe we need to just take it on the chin and accept that it's just a natural progression of written English, although a highly annoying one, u no wot i meen.

Edited by russuk

Hod I couldn't agree more.

I am however mindful that this thread is just another extension of the vicious bullying that occurs on this forum.

http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/ind...56012&st=15

Suggesting that people who can switch on a computer and operate a web browser should some how in addition operate a spell checker is discriminatory, prejudicial and plain outright bullying. You should be ashamed and I look forward to this thread being slammed shut just like the last vicious bullyfest.

you can choose to read it or not.

i personally havent got a clue how to use the spell checker,and if i did iwouldnt

dont knock somone for having faults encourage them to join in.All the bullying for someone getting a few words wrong is pathetic and people should grow up

I hate text talk with a passion.

But, those with dyslexia and people who just can't spell, that's fine by me. Dyslexia I don't know much about so I won't comment much on it. As for bad spelling, well not everyone went to school for very long. I think having special requirements for those people is akin to looking down on them. I cannot see an upside to any move in that direction.

As long as a post is legible it's fine by me :mad:

I have to be honest here chaps, my spelling is awful. However, if there are words I do not know how to spell then I select the text from the PW consol text box using "Control A" (select all), I then copy that text using "Control C" and I then paste it into Word using "Control V" and then I hit "F7" to run spell checker. Word sorts it all out and I repeat the process to get the properly spelt text back into the PW consol text box.

It takes a technophobe such as me less than 10 seconds to spell check a post. If I can do it, then so can others. Take some pride in your posts.

What it boils down to is no one gives a monkeys which is fine. Personal choice and all that.

The gist of this thread is about text type though! Not about people with spelling problems.

No one can spell everything correctly, not even that there Prof. Stephen Hawkins, that cheating ratbag uses a computer.

For me it's not the spelling, it's the perceived complete lack of respect for anybody reading the post that gets on my tits. Using text speak is just lazy and makes baby Jesus cry.

I have to be honest here chaps, my spelling is awful. However, if there are words I do not know how to spell then I select the text from the PW consol text box using "Control A" (select all), I then copy that text using "Control C" and I then paste it into Word using "Control V" and then I hit "F7" to run spell checker. Word sorts it all out and I repeat the process to get the properly spelt text back into the PW consol text box.

Its alot easy than that if you install this program. http://www.iespell.com/ Cranfield gave me the link for it and it works a treat. All you have to do is click the check spelling button and the post is checked directly.

"I am hacked off with reading comments from ..."

Hear, hear. Fully agree with you, it really gets my dander up.

Having perused various internet forums it seems that us British are probably the worst offenders when it comes to spelling and grammer. I put it down to low teaching standards and sheer bloody laziness. If you look at a lot of forums with American posters the quality of the grammer and spelling makes us look like neanderthals - and the irony is, we taught them how to speak the language!

Tin hat on time, I think I can hear some incoming.

you can choose to read it or not.

i personally havent got a clue how to use the spell checker,and if i did iwouldnt

dont knock somone for having faults encourage them to join in.All the bullying for someone getting a few words wrong is pathetic and people should grow up

:mad::good:

right guys not wanting to start any thing here but i have dyslexia and my spelling is bad but i do try to use the Google spell checker but some times i do forget to use it but. i will say if you don't like the way people spell or use text talk dont read there posts.

sorry but what gives you the right to comment on other peoples spelling

if you read your post again you will find you have not spelt every word correct look at your self before commenting on over people

Edited by russ91

It takes a technophobe such as me less than 10 seconds to spell check a post. If I can do it, then so can others. Take some pride in your posts.

What it boils down to is no one gives a monkeys which is fine. Personal choice and all that.

and here's me thinking that you could spell good because you are clever, have a responsible job ect

damn, another myth exploded

TP

sorry but what gives you the right to comment on other peoples spelling

if you read your post again you will find you have not spelt every word correct look at your self before commenting on over people

There are no spelling mistakes in that post, except where he's deliberately used exaggerated text speak to make his point.

At the risk of being controversial :good: I think something like 99% of the cases of Dyslexia are nothing more than idleness. I'm not saying there's no such thing as dyslexia (though there wasn't when I was young) but very few people suffer from it in my opinion. It must be very difficult for the few that do suffer from it and I take my hat off to them, but I'm convinced that most of the cases in this extraordinary epidemic of dyslexia that has swamped the country in the last decade or so, are down to sheer idleness and lack of concentration. Words aren't going to jump off the page at us, we have to concentrate, till we get it right. These days though, it's easier to make medical excuses for everything. Dispraxia (sp) is another one. One of our friends kids was "diagnosed" with this, because he is inclined to be clumsy and is **** at drawing. My son is one of the clumsiest little nerks I know :good: but I would no more have him diagnosed with some trumped up condition, than fly to the moon. He'll learn to take more care (hopefully) as he gets older and I don't feel the need to have his "condition" given a stupid meaningless name.

Edited by Chard

When I was at school in every English Lesson for the first half of it I was taken into the corner of the class with one to one tuition with a teacher on how to spell correctly, knowing that my classmates were laughing at me because I couldnt spell. I managed to get a GCSE in English at grade D which I was amazed.

And when you do spell check what about the ones where there are like 5 different ways of spelling it? how you supposed to know which one to choose?

I do believe some people are lazy and using txt writing but some out there do have a problem with spelling. All though my spelling has improved over the years its still a bit awfull, and not only that sometimes I find it difficult to describe and explain things in the right way as I mix my words up.

Now to see people having ago at other people because of their spelling, it reminds me of being back at school.

Yorkshirelad come back all is forgiven.

Df

Textspeak is for texting when you only have a wee little phone to use and the keys are small - When you have a nice big qwerty keyboard to use, please use it - Seems to be a lot of talk on here about being English (Sorry to the Irish, Scotch and Principalities :mad: ), so would think that using the language in its beautiful long form would be in order.

Otherwise: 2b or not 2b, wot is you chatting about innit!! knowwhatimean, respek! :good::good::hmm::hmm::lol: