Best Film Ever

Maiden22

Just wondered what you think the best film ever made is, and why.

Mine's (not terribly original, I know) Casablanca. Superb script, visually beautiful, absolutely every bit polished and refined to perfection. Brilliant cast as well - Sydney Greenstreet is worth the admission on his own.

Best thing about it in my opinion is the complexity of the characters. They are real human beings with real conflicts, positive qualities, failings and so on. In so many modern films, they seem one-dimensional - goodies are perfect, baddies are inhuman monsters etc.

It's also very uplifting at the end, the way that personal sacrifice leads to redemption and furthering the greater good.

What's your all-time favourite/best film?

Robert

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Caddyshack - 1980

For all the reasons you mention above, Robert. Although Sydney Greenstreet turned down the role taken on by Rodney Dangerfield due to other comittments (and because he'd been dead for 26 years), it was still an absolute classic.

Chevy Chase and Bill Murray's famous "play-through" scene was written in especially to get the talent together on screen. Now that is worth the admission ticket alone.

Stone-cold classic.

LS

Well my avatar might be a bit of a giveaway, but I will have to go with Das Boot.

I first saw it when i was about 13, and for the first time I realised that not all of the "other side" were jackbooted nazi cannonfodder and that war was actually a pretty suck-*** state of affairs.

Great acting, perfect in its historical representation and technical detail, and with one of the bleakest endings EVER!

Quality stuff.. I think I might set aside a few hours at the weekend and give it a damn good watching.

ZB

There are so many films I regard as my favourites it goes on and on. Most of the films in the top of my list are military based, courage under fire, or against repression or tyranny etc. I especially like the older War Films such as Ice Cold in Alex, The Cruel Sea, etc

But to pick just one film to watch for all time, would be .........

The Great Escape.

Great story line, good script, individual characters, great sound track, and even gets you smiling in places.

I like a lot of the Coen brothers movies and if Casablanca is to your liking then I think you`d like "The Man Who Wasn`t There" >>IMDB link<<

However I love for a laugh "Withnail and I" and can never make my mind up for "Best" film perhaps Fargo ? Usual Suspects ? Manhunter ?

......... Forbidden Planet ??

"The Gooonies"

"hey you guysssssss........"

1sloth-pitate_sticker.jpg

"ITS A STIFFFFFFFFF........."

Goonies Classic if ever there was one.. :yes:

DASBOOT..... one of best war films ever made

has to bee in german tho with subtitles...

Im loving evil dead 3 army of darkness at the moment

As you can tell by my avatar pic. funny as ****.

" THIS IS MY BOOMSTICK "

mad max 2 the road warrior .

This is an impossible question :P