lest we forget

the last engineer

i hope none of you mind ,but i thought it fitting to post this now ,i still find it a touching poem,ironic that i read it in school many moons ago ,and now reside in Canada,please take a moment today and reflect ,thats all i ask ,thanks

Martin

In Flanders Fields

By: Lieutenant Colonel John McCrae, MD (1872-1918)

Royal Canadian Medical Corps

IN FLANDERS FIELDS the poppies blow

Between the crosses, row on row,

That mark our place, and in the sky

The larks, still bravely singing, fly

Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago

We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,

Loved and were loved, and now we lie

In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:

To you from failing hands we throw

The torch; be yours to hold it high.

If ye break faith with us who die

We shall not sleep, though poppies grow

In Flanders fields.

My grandfather was a Lewis gunner in WW1, despite being taken prisoner and put to work in a quarry, he survived; which was more than could be said for his six elder brothers who perished in the same German attack. Despite his ordeal with the Germans he always had some respect for them, but not the French; I dont know why.

He never forgot his brothers and friends. It was a very sad day when he was nolonger able to attend the service at the local war memorial.

Wear your poppy with pride, and remember those who made the ultimate sacrifice, that we may enjoy life as free men.

webber

Well said Martin... Lest we forget indeed.

My late Grandfather ( Mothers father ) was a veteran of the first war and saw action in several campaigns for the Royal Gloucester Hussars. He was one of the lucky 85 who survived from a regiment of 300 at Gallipoli in 1915. he died when I was a teeenager but the stories he told still bring a tear to my eye... such terrible hardship and inhumanity we cant even imagine.. he died of lung cancer the result of Phosgene inhalation.

I am always reminded of the works a war poet Rupert Brook one of my favorite poets.. "The Soldier" in particular written to his mother in 1914

"If I should die think only this of me"

"That there's some corner of a foreign Field, that is for ever England..."

i am greatly and utmost thankfull to all of those brave men/women that gave there lives for us to live.

i was absolutely outraged that we did not have a 1minutes silence in school today, especailly how the teacher i had at the time is about 55. last year we didnt have one either. i was to be honest, p***ed off. we all owe are simpathies to these brave souls that risked everything for us.

my grandfather lost his brother and his 2 best friends in the same battle and they all died in his arms during D-Day, so he never likes to be remembered about D-Day, but always cheers him up on 11 / 11 as he was happy that day that war was finally over.

Aled

Oh! You who sleep in Flanders`Fields

Sleep sweet-to rise anew;

We caught the torch you threw,

And holding high we kept

The faith with those who died.

We cherish,too, the Poppy red

That grows on fields where valor led.

It seems to signal to the skys

That blood of heroes never dies.

But lends a lustre to red

On the flower that blooms above the dead

In Flanders`fields

And now the torch and Poppy red

Wear in honour of our dead.

Fear not that ye have died fo naught:

We`ve learned the lesson that ye taught

In Flanders`fields.

By Evan Macdonald 1905-1972

:< out beating today and the guns didn`t want to stop at 11 as they didn`t know where we would be so they had a minutes silence before the off.I had my alarm set for 11 and lo and behold it was between two drives,so I had my own little silence,just me and the dog,and remembered those of my family who were involved in the various wars some of us came back others didnot.The guns could have stopped the drive if it was in progress,not much to ask eh!!! :<

on the news today, i have seen that they might be taking away many Memorial Monuments across Britain. and they said maybe the next generation or even before we will forget about Rememberance Day. this is attrocious(dont take the mick of spelling). how could anyone forget 1 of the greatest war's that have taken place, and the Men/Women risked there lives for our generation, and this generation is turning their back to it. i will always have respect for these people that risked there lives, and the people that turn their back can just go as far as i care, they dont deserve to live if they dont have feelings for the ones that gave their lives.

sorry for the harshness and if anyone is offended sorry. its just how i feel.

Aled.

If you can read this thank a school teacher

if you can read it in english thank a soldier

We can never repay the debt we owe to those people who lost their lives to give us the life we have now.Or to those that are fighting for our country now.I take my hat off to all those people

Well said Rob G,

Its seems that there are people out there who find it easy to forget, young and old.

God rest their souls and all that have felt the the pain of missing them for many a year. We will always remember you and the courage that drove you on to victory to give us FREEDOM.

To the present day soldiers who are still falling today in countries far and near we honour your courage and valour in these hostile times.

God rest our fellow Englishmen and all those who fight by our side.

We salute now and forever.

The PM

i lost my great uncles on the 1st day of the somme. they charged with the 36th ulster division, they were both officers. what really annoys me is the fact that the french are making the battlefield @ loos into a rubbish dump :):)

god bless all the men that served and died for us!

Ozo

If you can read this thank a school teacher

if you can read it in english thank a soldier

We can never repay the debt we owe to those people who lost their lives to give us the life we have now.Or to those that are fighting for our country now.I take my hat off to all those people

British serviceman before foreign supporters.

Think about that quote, it says everything.