Shotgun Licence application.

nickb

Scotland applied 22nd feb ,visit mid march ,got my ticket 5th june so around 16 weeks and that included me needing to chase the doctors surgery as they forgot to forward the letter to the firearms team !

All in all very good service from the police in the end as i found that the doctors hadnt forwarded the letter about 9 weeks after i visited the doctors !

• Replies 782
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Email reply from Essex this morning regarding my renewal.

'Hello,

It is on my desk to be done at some point this week'.

Posted August 2016. Expiry 5th November 2016. Home visit 5th May 2017. 7 months, 1 and a bit weeks (hopefully).

Scotland applied 22nd feb ,visit mid march ,got my ticket 5th june so around 16 weeks and that included me needing to chase the doctors surgery as they forgot to forward the letter to the firearms team !

All in all very good service from the police in the end as i found that the doctors hadnt forwarded the letter about 9 weeks after i visited the doctors !

Do you have needed to of had a recent doctors appointment? I assumed if the doctors didn't reply within 3 weeks the police assumed all is ok?

I've literally not been to the doctors in 16-17 years since I was literally 10-11 years old.

I checked that I'm still registered however not sure what useful information they can provide to the place except for a clean bill of health and no mental health issues?

Email reply from Essex this morning regarding my renewal.

'Hello,

It is on my desk to be done at some point this week'.

Posted August 2016. Expiry 5th November 2016. Home visit 5th May 2017. 7 months, 1 and a bit weeks (hopefully).

That is terrible,

I know its a hinderance to them but it's a paid service, it should be done proactively not left until begged to do something with it.

Are you with BASC? I'd definitely let them know!

Do you have needed to of had a recent doctors appointment? I assumed if the doctors didn't reply within 3 weeks the police assumed all is ok?

I've literally not been to the doctors in 16-17 years since I was literally 10-11 years old.

I checked that I'm still registered however not sure what useful information they can provide to the place except for a clean bill of health and no mental health issues?

That is terrible,

I know its a hinderance to them but it's a paid service, it should be done proactively not left until begged to do something with it.

Firearms team sent me a form to take to the doctors for them to sign saying i didnt have any conditions that would prevent safe firearms ownership and a marker was put on the nhs system so when i go to any GP or doctor they know im registered to hold firearms

I was told i was lucky not to be charged for this service ,if i had been i wouldnt of been so laid back about the 9 weeks it took and me chasing them to send an email !!

Firearms team sent me a form to take to the doctors for them to sign saying i didnt have any conditions that would prevent safe firearms ownership and a marker was put on the nhs system so when i go to any GP or doctor they know im registered to hold firearms

I was told i was lucky not to be charged for this service ,if i had been i wouldnt of been so laid back about the 9 weeks it took and me chasing them to send an email !!

Ahh hopefully doesn't apply to me then, just getting a Shotgun license.

Just seen another thread on here actually about people being borderline blackmailed into paying the GP for their signature, not good at all.

BASC already know how poor they are, but what can they do???

That is terrible,

Police Force: Nottinghamshire Police

Posted Application: 6th June 2017

Confirmed of receipt: 8th June 2017 (They confirmed once I'd phoned them to check)

Interview Date:17th July 2017

Certificate Arrival Date:N/A

Rejection Letter Arrival Date: N/A

Total time for application:N/A

Will update in due course as and when I hear from them, speaking to the lady on the phone however expect 12 weeks as a minimum as long as there are no hiccups, if there are it will be longer.

Now I wait for what seems an eternity, i hoped it would have been speedier, hopefully just doesn't want me to get my hopes up and pester before this time frame.

Seeing 20+ weeks for some folk in Nottingham doesn't give me much optimism.

Updated with my interview date, so around 5.5 weeks from application date, seems reasonable so far.

Hopefully they don't drag their heels post interview.

I'm going to be storing my gun at the gun club though so I'm hoping this speeds up the process.

Phone them up and tell them that,

I am sure they will have great pleasure in losing your application, personally I have never had an issue with Essex Police. They have always been prompt, and have always given good service.

They took 12 Months to process my initial application 2 years ago. I contacted the Police and Crime Commissioner in the end and he put pressure on the Chief Superintendent who wrote to me apologising. They have been one of the slowest counties for some time while Suffolk have been on of the best.

evolution380 - yes and no.

I applied in may 2016 and went to GP in June and got stuck. They kept refuse to answer ( scotland) so I was waiting and trying... Finally in mid of december I found one GP. But he indicated tha I have limited sight in one eye and any further examination might be needed. Letter been sent. After 3,5 months I realised that something is wrong. Phoned the Licensing Department and ask. They told me that..... they are waiting for a letter from my ophthalmologist that I'm ok to shoot ! But nobody told me that ! I mentioned about it and guy said- I can apologise for that , when you bring us that letter we'll proceed. Nice. So i registered for a visit. I've waited 3 weeks. Then waited antoher 5 weeks to get letter. Then I got call from licensing that I need to provide referee again because it was too long and .. here we are. Applied 30 may and been granted 5 July. I have just 1 advice for those who are waiting- phone licensing department once a week !!

Edited by waliza

evolution380 - yes and no.

I applied in may 2016 and went to GP in June and got stuck. They kept refuse to answer ( scotland) so I was waiting and trying... Finally in mid of december I found one GP. But he indicated tha I have limited sight in one eye and any further examination might be needed. Letter been sent. After 3,5 months I realised that something is wrong. Phoned the Licensing Department and ask. They told me that..... they are waiting for a letter from my ophthalmologist that I'm ok to shoot ! But nobody told me that ! I mentioned about it and guy said- I can apologise for that , when you bring us that letter we'll proceed. Nice. So i registered for a visit. I've waited 3 weeks. Then waited antoher 5 weeks to get letter. Then I got call from licensing that I need to provide referee again because it was too long and .. here we are. Applied 30 may and been granted 5 July. I have just 1 advice for those who are waiting- phone licensing department once a week !!

Ouch shows how such things can easily drag on, but glad you now rightfully have your license :good:

I'm thoroughly impressed with Nottingham at the moment. Left a message at reception to request a callback to confirm the interview. As requested at 7.30am this morning on his first day back from annual leave the DC called me to confirm the interview booked in for Wednesday is still fine to go ahead.

Sounds a nice bloke to! Fingers crossed for a straight forward process from here on.

Hopefully Derby are fairly speedy! Called them yesterday and received a fairly blunt response. I suppose it has only been 9 days!

Anybody had recent experience with Derby and how long it took them approximately? Cheers!

(Good luck today Evo!)

Hopefully Derby are fairly speedy! Called them yesterday and received a fairly blunt response. I suppose it has only been 9 days!

Anybody had recent experience with Derby and how long it took them approximately? Cheers!

(Good luck today Evo!)

Cheers mate was good to catch up yesterday :good:

Interview went very well had a detective constable come around to do the interview and he was a thoroughly nice bloke!

Ended up having a good chin wag so he was around for a good hour or so. He told me he'd be in touch with my reference early next week and then within an hour my reference text me to say he had a call from the FA officer and to tell me he had processed my application.

So now I wait for it to be processed, he had no concerns or issues so hopefully its a speedy process from here on.

Had my interview on the 4th July, was told that they were waiting for the Firearms Manager to sign it off when he got back from holiday the following Tuesday. So waiting now 13 days since the FM got back. Was told that I should have it by the end of the month.

How long does it usually take to process post interview?

I have no gun cabinet to inspect as the keepers address is going to be my gun club, and my reference was contacted immediately after my interview and told to relay to me that my 'application had been returned to the office for processing'.

The interview was very positive and no issues or concerns ( i have no criminal record or medical issues etc. and the FAO recommend I be furnished with a license.