Population Changes in Common Pests

Fisherman Mike

Heres some information you might find interesting relating to commonly shot pest species. Obtained from recent BTO publications.

The change is based on BTO field study information and indicates the percentage change recorded in the average number of squares (Ordnance survey squares) occupied by each bird over the 10 year period. In this case between 1994 and 2003.

Wood Pigeon up 12%

Collard Dove up 31%

Jackdaw up 20%

Magpie up 1%

Rook up 8%

Carrion Crow up 8%

Jay down 11%

Other interesting species not on the general list.

Pheasant up 33 %

Red-Legged Partridge up 33%

Grey partridge down 39%

Snipe up 46%

Buzzard up 53%

Sparrow hawk down 5%

Greylag up 183%

Canada Goose up 136%

Any one interested in any others let me know.

FM.

I'm glad magpies are only up 1% (hate the little sh1ts), but I have seen more this year than ever before. I 'spose it must even out over the whole country, but Suffolk seems to have more than its fair share.

Got any figures for Grey Squirrel? (fingers crossed it's down on last year)

Wookie

I'm very suprised at the magpie figure also.

There were 27 of them sitting along some sheep troughs, in a field near me at the weekend.

I have never seen so many as there appear to be at present. :lol:

Obviously the jay has suffered from the magpies ascendancy.

Any info on woodcock, although being non resident perhaps not ?

Nothing on Woodcock im afraid Cranfield. as you say they are a Migratory species.

Red. Buzzards would not normally take small songbirds, or live birds of any type for that matter. they are mostly carrion feeders and earthworms and rabbits make up 80% of their diet.

The decline in small songbirds is a mystery... lack of breeding sites, pesticides, predation by corvids, grey squirrels and common moggy all play a major part.

The predation by Falcons & Hawks on small songbirds is reckoned to be negligible in comparison.

One interesting note on our common quarry the woodpigeon, is that recorded sightings in gardens is up by some 900 % illustrating that this bird is becoming really cosmopolitan in its habitats.

FM.

FM,

Highly interesting, thank you.

Even given the time frame, I don't think any wild population change of + 10% is significant. What does surprise me is the snipe figure; that's certainly counter to my (intuitive) experience. I know I don't shoot them any more, but I wasn't taking that many!

Taking Reds point, does anyone have a view on rabbits v buzzards? When we moved here 9 years ago there was a modest stock of bunnies; we'd see them in the garden and orchard. Not one now, but more buzzards than you can shake a big stick at. On the other hand we have occasional visits from goshawks, I'm sure one or t'other is responsible. Any opinions?

Eug

Buzzards will kill smaller rabbits Eugene and larger ones if the opportunity presents itsself. Normally they are ambushed or caught unawares in the open. Buzzards are not the best designed hunting birds being rather slow and cumbersome other than in soaring flight when they are masters of the thermals.

The peak time for predation on rabbits would be in the spring when there are plenty of young rabbits about and chicks to feed.

The Gos is a different matter it is a superb hunter of Rabbit and Pigeon. A Gos pursuing a Pigeon through the canopy is an incredible sight.

I think the culprits are either of those you have identified probably in equal proportions. Stoats and Cats ( Feral and Domestic) also take a large number of baby rabbits

I know wood pigeons are up? at least 50 pair nesting 2 to 3 times a year at my workplace but surprised at the number of maggies **** are nesting next door to me and are decimating the garden birds, songies and blackies etc, I work on the north east coast, sat in the works van yesterday watching the BIGGEST flight, skein. call it what you want of geese fly over many THOUSAND of bird, incredible sight lord knows where they came from or indeed where they were going? also of note if you are a bird buff we have a couple of pairs of peregrene resident on our towers at work I like to pick through the "cast offs" they leave, many legs have rings on?

cheers keith

I'm suprised the magpies isn't higher. One evening in early september my mate and I walked around a fur plantation only to be greated with the sight of about 60-70 magpies going out (I sh#t you not, I've never seen as many in the one place in my life), The bonus was they didn't all go out at the same time and I shot 6 out of 6, there was that many I could hardly get the gun loaded in time.

We stayed in until dark and ended up with 18 magpies and 3 grey crows.

Sparrow Hawks are on the up as well. My mother had her fantails wiped out by a local one... One of them right in front of her kitchen window. The next day I get a call about whether or not it is legal to shoot them.

Honestly, mothers...

As for Magpies.... I hate them almost as much as grey squirrels

Wookie

FM

Do you think the F&M restrictions had anything to do with the rise in birds of prey. I sincerely believe that it did. Also great to see so many sparrows in the garden this year. Not the prettiest of birds but great fun to see 50 or so attack my feeders.

jim

FM

Do you think the F&M restrictions had anything to do with the rise in birds of prey. I sincerely believe that it did. Also great to see so many sparrows in the garden this year. Not the prettiest of birds but great fun to see 50 or so attack my feeders.

jim

good point jimd ,i was going to ask about the increase in the raptors and how they are affected by polutants and pesticides , what do you think FM.??

a little dif here i know but the raptors are on the increase ,a good sign IMO

Martin

FM

jim

good point jimd ,i was going to ask about the increase in the raptors and how they are affected by polutants and pesticides , what do you think FM.??

a little dif here i know but the raptors are on the increase ,a good sign IMO

Martin

I personally dont think the F & M had a significant impact on raptor populations as it was generally only over one breeding season. However they are as you rightly pointed out susceptible to over indulgence of pesticides by farmers.

That said your average Farmer is more responsible these days than ever before and pesticide development has changed significantly since the 60,s

I would expect the F&M epedemic to have a bigger short term impact on resident and migratpry insectivores such as Swallows, swifts, flycatchers, wagtails etc. which depend generally on a grazed pasture land and the abudance of flying insects attracted to the animals grazing it.

Have a look at a Male cock sparrow in breeding plumage through your Bins in the spring Jim and you will be suprised how handsome a chap he is! :thumbs:

FM

27 for a shed-load?

Speaking of raptors, I saw a Sparrowhawk and a kestral on the way into work this morning. Weather was crappy, so I wasn't surprised that both of them looked a bit peeved!

By the way, sparrowhawks have a dark-ish back, white-ish front and a dark head yes?

Wookie

Its the woodcock numbers that have been big around my area of the Northeast this year. All in mixed woodland where the trees are covered in ivy and the floor is bramble and bracken.

The next bird to increase is the jackdaw, tons of them this year.

Also spotted an Osprey flying over on Sunday morning, they migrate and always seem to stop off at the local trout water for a day or two to fill up.

The PM