help needed

viking

hi all, today i went for a lesson at coniston shooting ground, the instructor said first he would check my gun fit using one of them lasers you stick in the barel, on putting it in he said hold on o minute something isnt rite hear, he the put his finger down the barel and said there was a gap of around 4 or 5 mill between the end of the choke and where it shoul but up to, so he called his mate over who is a gunsmith and he said it sgouldnt be like that, he said you shouldnt be able to feel any joint at all, he said i shouldnt use it again or ot could blow the choke out or blow the end of the barels off, and the chokes didnt seen to go in the barels as easy as they should. they were tight on either side but a bit of play fromt and back, he said something about an egg he then called someone else over to look at it and he said the same, before i knew it they were all mesuring the chokes and inside the gun, then one of them was on the beretta website and the other was on the phone to someone, one of them said maybe id been given the wrong chokes with the gun, i only bought the gun 4 month ago from ********* ******* *****, so he said take it back and tell them whats wrong with it and thell them that as it may of already damaged the gun to ask for a new one, so off i went to *********, told the bloke i bought it from what had gone on,he put his finger down and said that he couldnt feel and gap at all. whgen it was as clear as day there was one, then he said they were the rite chokes for the gun and that it was all ok, i said that what i had been told has put me off using the gun and that i wanted a new one, he said all he could do was sent it off to one of only 3 people in the contry qualified to make a decision to weather it was ok or not, he then said that if it wasnt ok he would give me a new one or my money back, but he said it would cost £150 inc p&p and that if it was ok then i would have to foot the bill, and that is not something i wanted to do folk out £150, i can see it from his point that he wouldnt want to pay it either, he then tried to buy it off me so i could buy something else from him so he could make some more money out of me, as i couldnt prove it shouldnt be like that and he couldnt prove it should be like that we were left with only the one option, to have it sent of to be checked, so i said i would take it home with me and just make a few enquieries before i decided what to do,he even said that it seems like the people were trying to wind me up, not very lightly seen as i dont know any of the people who informed me of the problem, the owner was also a bit cocky about it to, he had the attitude of so what, what do you want me to do about it, since buying my gun i have herd some bad stories about this place and some of the guns they have sold and how they treat people regarding after sales,

so can any one please help and tell me if there should be a gap or what i can do about it or anyone i should contact about it,

many thanks, Lee

I agree with henryd, take it to another gunsmith and ask him to give you a written report if he feels there is a problem with the gun. It won't take the gunsmith long if it as obvious as you have said. He'll want to charge you a small fee if he is writing a letter as well, but I can't see it being anywhere near £150.

Are you a member of BASC? If you are give them a call they will advise you accordingly.

I agree with henryd, take it to another gunsmith and ask him to give you a written report if he feels there is a problem with the gun. It won't take the gunsmith long if it as obvious as you have said. He'll want to charge you a small fee if he is writing a letter as well, but I can't see it being anywhere near £150.

Are you a member of BASC? If you are give them a call they will advise you accordingly.

And if it's not up to the job you know the bloke will still say it needs sending away for £150 pounds.

Stick to you guns and tell him you want it sorting out.

Tell him it's not Fit for the purpose and you we contact trading standards.

This link will help you :good:

Keep us posted

Edited by rabbithunter2008

Did you say in there somewhere that it was a beretta?

If it's new (rather than secondhand) contact GMK direct and discuss with them, they will arrange for a free pick up from your local RFD (if it's still under warranty) and check it out for you.

If it's secondhand, might still be worth a call to them to confirm exactly which chokes should be in it and which ones you've got - you'd then know for definite what the problem is - the guys in the workshop are pretty helpful. )Once you know the exact problem you can be a lot more confident getting trading standards etc involved.

thanks for the answere chaps, no im not a member of basc just cpsa, yes it is a beretta and it was brandnew, iv just sent gmk an email to see what they say about it, im also off to swillington this aft for a few thou carts so i will take my gun and see what they say,

cheers, Lee

thanks for the answere chaps, no im not a member of basc just cpsa, yes it is a beretta and it was brandnew, iv just sent gmk an email to see what they say about it, im also off to swillington this aft for a few thou carts so i will take my gun and see what they say,

cheers, Lee

You'll get a better response by speaking to GMK over the phone - ring up and ask to speak to the workshop, they're really approachable.

You need to give us more details of where this gap is.

For example, do you mean there is a step in the barrel (normal with screw-in chokes) or do you mean the choke isn't reaching the bit of the barrel it's supposed to tighten up to? If it is the latter, then it sounds like you have a problem.

Are they Optima or mobil chokes or Optima plus? I would find someone with the same gun and compare bits to try to work out what's gone wrong.

Viking ,

If the gun does have a fault as you have been told and if it could blow up , i would say that it is dangerous and is out of proof . This would make selling it illegal . Have it checked out by a reputable gun smith and if it is a ringer insist on your money back ,otherwise you will go to trading standards and report it to the police . Harnser .

swillington is 40 mile away from me, and i didnt get the chance to go, i didnt get the gun from swillington, when the chokes are in ind i put my little finger down the barel i can feel a gap between the end of the choke and where i presume it should butt up to, and they are optima chokes, i took it back to where i got it from as soon i was told about it, so i posted on hear for advise, as soon as i get chance i will take it and have it looked at, if someone tells me it shouldnt be like that then i will take it back to where i got it from,

cheers, Lee

" when the chokes are in ind i put my little finger down the barel i can feel a gap between the end of the choke and where i presume it should butt up to,"

It sounds like you have a big problem!!

It seems to me like you have been given dodgy chokes or your barrels have been bored wrongly at the muzzles.

A standard Optima choke tube should have just over 70mm that goes fully into the barrel and butts up against the bore.

just been to our local shoot at yorkgate and spoke to bob who owns the shoot and he is a gunsmith who i trust 100% he had a look and measured in the barel and the chokes and said it was fine, he used a tool to run it down the inside of the barel and said there was a very slight lip but was supposed to be that way, so panic over, now all i need to do is phone the shop up where i got it from and say sorry for being a tad funny with them about it, and then ******* the clowns who said it wasnt right, thanks for all your help and comments,

cheers, Lee

just been to our local shoot at yorkgate and spoke to bob who owns the shoot and he is a gunsmith who i trust 100% he had a look and measured in the barel and the chokes and said it was fine, he used a tool to run it down the inside of the barel and said there was a very slight lip but was supposed to be that way, so panic over, now all i need to do is phone the shop up where i got it from and say sorry for being a tad funny with them about it, and then ******* the clowns who said it wasnt right, thanks for all your help and comments,

cheers, Lee

Before you ******* the guys who told you it was wrong just

think on about it a bit. They were wrong and they made a mistake

but they were acting in your best intrest and did what they did for

safety reason.

As it happens you have had a bit of a fright but it has all worked

out for the best. The guy who sold you the gun suggested a course

of action that would have proved the gun safe or not, so he was

not unreasonable. You oviously did not want to pay £150 to get

the second opinion.

You managed to get a second opinion from somone you trust and

you are now confident that the barrels are safe to use.

What was done, was done for the best of intentions and you are

happy with the outcome. I would put it down to experience and

Mention the what has occured to the guys who thought there was

a problem, but stop short at the ####ing.

Just my opinion.

taz.

taz, your rite in what you say, they were only acting in my best interest, and if it was not rite then i would of been more than greatfull, no doubt they will ask when i next see them, i will just tell them that is ok and all is well, thanks,

fister, no mate i had no i dear it was a grey import when i bought it, i paid £1350 for it witch i think is about average, but when i got intouch with gmk they said i should of been told about it being an import when i bought it, but then i suppose its my word against theres, every one iv spoken to about it says the place where i got it from is a shaddy ******,

cheers, Lee

im not overly sure myself, i was just told by gmk that it wasnt one they had imported so didnt come under there warentey, they said it didnt come under there warenty, like i said i knew nothing about grey imports, if i ever buy another beretta and i will be doing, i will want some thing signed of the seller to say it was imported by gmk, or as gmk said you can ring them with the serial number and they will tell you straight away if its one of theres or not,

cheers, Lee

Grey Imports are usually defined as those which come via a route other than the importer who has the agreement or license with the manufacturer for that region or country. Its like buying a Leupold from the US and expecting GMK (the UK importer) to take responsibility if it required warranty work. You save in costs but you make any returns or warranty claims more difficult. In this case, although it seems there is no problem, if there had been, who would be responsible.......the shop you say.........well yes but Beretta themselves may not honour a warranty on a gun that has not been sold via the official route of the relevant countries importer.

Beretta offer a good warranty via GMK, I have used it myself and been very happy with the service. All i'm trying to point out is what warranty do you have, can you ask the shop? When you buy a scope cheaper from the US you make a big saving which is offset against any future problem, its a bit of a gamble(although the Leupold i mentioned is worldwide and lifetime as it happens)

I'm interested in how this works out and what is the warranty? Let us know.

i think the issue is that the OP didn't pay for a cheap gun, he paid full whack and for that he should be getting a UK spec gun. I would have thought selling it at that price without specifying it was not a UK gun would not go down very well with trading standards - but I'm not a lawyer...!