Improving basic pigeon shell decoys

V8landy

It depends how shiny you are talking. I use basic plastic shells and they work fine. I do notice if it has rained then the sun comes out they do glisten a little though, but still they seem ok.

Options:

Paint them with some matt paint

Buy a flocking kit and flock them (there are threads on the forum where guys are saying these kits are v good)

Buy and cover the with Silosocks (again, many threads about these too)

I have just got a flocking kit from Decoy Direct via ebay with free uv paint (just type in flocking kit on ebay search bar).

The kit is fantastic totaly transforms your deeks,they are brilliant they out attracted the sillosocks.

I set them out on a freshly ploughed field then swapped back and forth between the sillosocks and them and they were marginally better than the sillys although I was using wobbler sticks.

Mike...

• 1 month later...

Use a wire brush attachment on your drill to rough up the surface and re-paint with matt paints. Buy test pots from any DIY store- Its cheaper!!

No flat surfaces to shine then!!

Could also be how you place your pattern. They like an escape route without having to fly over other birds

and if there isn't one they just move on.

As a previous post , Glue or as I do wire on with copper wire , [ Mice are atracted to them , be WARNED!! ]

They do work well though ,

The more I shoot pigeons The less decoys I use nowadays , 10/12 . But as many dead birds as poss after ,

Some folk may differ but, I would sooner hold back on a shot if not realy sure of a kill ,!!! as they usualy return , but if shot and not dropped , thy can disperse taking lots wih them .

I know it looks good on my kill ratio , however overall I find a better average at the days end ,

Anyone else had similar experience?? POW

bought 10 jack pyke fully flocked full body deeks today. fantastic things, these shouldnt shine in the sun or when they get wet, i will definatley be buying a flocking kit to do the old coys in the shed with, the white areas were quite dull so touched them up with a few dabs of brilliant white gloss paint, roll on friday morning.

mikee

bought 10 jack pyke fully flocked full body deeks today. fantastic things, these shouldnt shine in the sun or when they get wet, i will definatley be buying a flocking kit to do the old coys in the shed with, the white areas were quite dull so touched them up with a few dabs of brilliant white gloss paint, roll on friday morning.

mikee

Not sure about using white gloss!! I thought the idea was to cut out the sine!

I've used tippex on mine and it works well.

i have tried every decoy known to man, with varying levels of sucess. :lol:

my latest try out was to buy some bluey grey socks from matalan ( 10 pairs for a fiver )

cut out the toe area , and put them over my plastic shells , so the head sticks out of the hole.

added a few strokes of white MATT paint where needed. (neck and wing bars ).

and believe it or not , they work a treat . :yes::lol:

a nice cheap option ,

• 2 weeks later...