Magazines

Jimbo57

Picking up on the closed thread about the advantages of BASC over the amateur organisations like SACS, I have just cancelled my DD for Shooting Times.

One of the points that was missed on the previous thread was that for half the cost of a subscription to Shooting Times, you can get a full year's subscription to BASC and, in addition to all the insurance, firearms representation, etc. that you get from BASC, you also get a magazine that is 100 times better than the Shooting Tomes or any of the other comics you see in WH Smith.

You don't get that with any of the other orgs.

Jim

I would agree that the BASC magazine has improved recently, but personally would quite put it in the same league as Shooting Times. However, on a similar note, I have decided to cancel my direct debit for Sporting Shooter. I was significantly unimpressed with the latest edition, and decided that's it!

webber

I'm a subscriber to ST, Sporting Shooter, The Field and Sporting Rifle. I am also a BASC, CLA, NFU and CA member. For topical, accurate and well-written entertainment and news, ST leads by a country mile.

The BASC mag is dull, in my opinion. I read it thoroughly, and on occasion (like the article on trespass in the current issue) it is damned useful. However a lot of the content is out of date by the time it lands on my doorstep.

I flick through the BASC magazine when it arrives but don't find it particularly impressive and certainly not up there with Shooting Times. If there was an option of a reduced BASC membership rate without the magazine then I'd definitley take it!!

:yes:

:D agree with that!

Edited by Hot-Shot

I'm a subscriber to ST, Sporting Shooter, The Field and Sporting Rifle. I am also a BASC, CLA, NFU and CA member. For topical, accurate and well-written entertainment and news, ST leads by a country mile.

The BASC mag is dull, in my opinion. I read it thoroughly, and on occasion (like the article on trespass in the current issue) it is damned useful. However a lot of the content is out of date by the time it lands on my doorstep.

I agree the BASC mag is dull, it lacks useful articles of interest to us ordinary shooters and has too many highbrow ads, the quarterly Custodian mag from BASC is a competely different take on shooting and game management, its aimed at Keepers but imo the BASC should be including this with normal membership as part of the main mag.

:yes: D2D

"The BASC mag is dull, in my opinion. I read it thoroughly, and on occasion (like the article on trespass in the current issue) it is damned useful. However a lot of the content is out of date by the time it lands on my doorstep."

Well said ! I also found the article on trespass usefull, but a lot of content just reminds me of my place (poverty stricken peasant) in life :good: I must admit some of the photography is outstanding.

Worth mentioning that, in addition to "Shooting & Conservation" (big, glossy magazine every two months - current issue has 106 pages) BASC also has its "Wildfowling" magazine that goes free to all wildfowling members and "Custodian" that goes free to all gamekeeper members.

It is probably not fair to judge commercial magazines like Shooting Times, Sporting Shooter, Sporting Gun, etc by the standards of Shooting & Conservation but there are two things I like about S&C - the first thing is that the ratio of advertising pages to news and article pages is lower than with the commercial ones; the second is that S&C carries a lot more about "ordinary" shooters' sport like pigeon shooting, wildfowling, roughshooting, vermin control, etc rather than the "posh" kinds of shooting covered by, for example, Shooting Times.

As for the suggestion that some members might like a cheaper subscription without the magazine, I'm afraid all you would save is the postage costs as the production costs are fully covered by the advertising income.

Like others who have contributed to the thread, I agree that the quality of S&C has improved greatly over the past couple of years. (although there is one monumental cock-up in the current issue which, hopefully, not too many readers will notice!! Don't ask! No-one ever suggested that BASC was perfect - just better than most. :unsure: )