The Good Life

rimfire4969

I currently keep hens for eggs but I am in negotiations to buy/ rent some land off the farmer, which is just over my back fence.

If this comes off I am wanto to get some more hens (breed) to serve as table birds.

I have also started readin up about pig keeping. I think a couple every year would be good.

Only 3 chucks now since we down-sized :yes:

Have had pigs, sheep, goats, horses,donkeys rare-breed chickens, etc in the past and boy do I miss the 'good life'.

First pigs we had were Middle whites, a rare breed now. Still makes me cringe :lol: to think we ate them!! :hmm:

But they were delicious :hmm:

Can guarantee you'll enjoy yours if you bring them on slowly so they have a decent thickness of back fat!!

You'll never buy off the shelf again!

Yep, we keep Belted Galloways for beef, and some delightful Tamworths for bacon and sausages. We used to keep Dexters, but they are stroppy, vicious little ****. The pygmy goats serve no purpose for human consumption, but are great entertainment and good for lawn maintenance. We gave up on chickens a while back.

Not personally but i'l love to do it when money acerage allows. On the plus side my mate has a few black face sheep, 1500 hundred or so i believe! And a few cows as well heh. One of his 1 1/2 year old lamb/wether now resides in in my freezer. Hung for 10 days, had the top end leg for sunday din dins, superb! :hmm:

Edited by game_boy

Only chickens for eggs,but would like to raise them for the table too.Only thing which stops me is i'd have to get a cock bird to make it finacially viable,but they're too darn noisy! :hmm:

Why do you think you need a cockerel? (apart from the obvious i e Fertile eggs) If you did get chicks all they would be good for is laying eggs and the male birds won't put on a decent amount of wieght unless you capon them.(not sure if its even allowed these days)

The only way is to get something like Ross Cobs, bred specially for the table.

We used to get ours from either one of the local livestock markets or a farmer who reared them from day-old.

Don't know how much it would cost these days but at least you would know the how, when and whats, if you know what I mean!( and they would taste better

I know cost is a major factor for everybody these days but you rarely get owt for nowt :good:

Worth looking into?

We've only got 4 chickens, just for eggs really.. But we have our name down with the local authorities to rent some land when it next comes up. We have a group of 6 families that would jump at the chance to own our own small holding and we've been offered a sizeable piece of about 20 acres but the rent was astronomical, even between the 6 of us.

If you're looking to let a parcel of arable land for grazing and rearing stock, expect a rent of >£120/acre for such land let on a Farm Business Tenancy. The figure of £500+/acre is not in line with the rents we are charging. What type of agreement is that, V8landy? Just a grazing licence?

Rents will drop this year and next - rents were boosted by the superb 2007 harvest, and now the costs and horrors of the 2008 harvest has begun to make its mark.

If you're looking to let a parcel of arable land for grazing and rearing stock, expect a rent of >£120/acre for such land let on a Farm Business Tenancy. The figure of £500+/acre is not in line with the rents we are charging. What type of agreement is that, V8landy? Just a grazing licence?

Rents will drop this year and next - rents were boosted by the superb 2007 harvest, and now the costs and horrors of the 2008 harvest has begun to make its mark.

I do not have an agreement, it is just info I have gained.

I am looking to rent part (1 acre max) of the field over my fence from the dairy next door, to expand my veg plot and for a couple of pigs.

So looks like my figures are Ok at about £100 per acre per year.

The figure of £500+ was for good grazing land that the horse-ie set are willing to pay.

But a recent news article showed there is a growing number of people that are having to give up their hourses becuse they can not afford the bills!