Gate and cattle grid theft

Blackpowder

Just heard of a farmer being assaulted in the Central Scottish Borders by two masked hooded men. The rumour is that currently there is large scale theft of metal gates and even cattle grids for scrap value. Is this happening in your area?

Blackpowder

****** have been doing this all year including cast iron road drain covers and rain water gully covers

Jonno

Argh, I've just arranged for the installation of nearly 30 double gates on a farm here. All of them had the fixings welded and big padlocks fitted. The filthy didds used battery-powered grinders to chop the posts off the previous gates. Even packing the posts with concrete won't help.

Several streets in Braintree had the drain covers pinched a while back.

Manhole covers were stolen a few months ago in a nearby village and local industrial estate.A huge pair of gates also dissapeared last year at nature reserve along with the equally large posts and they must have chopped them up onsite due to their size & weight.

We're forever getting them pestering us at work for the surplus industrial racking we have stacked outside.Its like ***** central round here... :lol:

Up and down the railway they are stealing what we call "catch pit" lids which are metal grids which cover the track drainage channels.

trouble is, the hole left can be between 2 - 10ft deep, and that poses a serious problem when we are out working at night :lol:

****** have been doing this all year including cast iron road drain covers and rain water gully covers

Jonno

Got that problem down here as well. Not funny when coming home at night slightly under the influence on foot or as I saw recently a little girls bike wheel going down it and her going head over heels over the bar.

FM :yes:

Mmm I see it is fairly wide spread. In an old fashioned ideal world you might have thought that a Transit pickup loaded with scrap heading along a country lane in the early hours would be a bit iffy. Still I suppose the officers of the law, where they exist on night duty, may be forbidden to stopp and question the occupants of such vehicles in case it breaches their human rights. Down in deepest Melton Mowbery I have a friend whose wife heard a noise in the kitchen and looked through to see a hoody heading out the door with a large bunch of house and vehicle keys. His companion in the usual black long cab pick up reversed at the lady to deter her efforts to stop them, aye scum is to good a word. All change with locks for that family and a very chilling experience.

Blackpowder.