.308 for fox!!! is this true??

paul300779

I have .30-06 for fox and deer, and know several people who have .308 or similar for fox. It depends very much on the interpretation of each constabulary, and the influence of the FEO.

Foxes cost the farm money, so I am not fussed what calibre is used to kill them and how dramatic their demise is. Dead is dead. I did read on another forum of a guy using 150gr V-Max for fox, saying the result left the fox looking like it had been hit by a missile.

hi guys, I'm not debating that .308 is too much over kill for fox. The thing I'm debating is would the police grant me .308 on my ticket if i put down the reason for wanting this caliber is for fox only?

It would depend on your force and FEO. The forces that are up on new recommendations may well grant you it for fox, those who don't update their knowledge base frequently probably won't. Theres no harm in you putting in for deer as well is there? You never know, you may want to go on a stalk in the near future and you don't want to miss your date because you're waiting on a variation.

Mark

never restrict yourself to what you use your guns for (if possible). you dont hunt deer now but you never know what opportunities will arise - i never thought id need a centrefire rifle but 6 months ago i started seeing a girl from latvia, im going over in 2 weeks to meet her family and her brothers taking me hunting, after wild boar and elk. a .308 is just what i need if this is going to be a regular thing! :rolleyes:

It sounds sad but i dont think i could bring my self to shoot a deer ;) wild boar though no worries!!!. I wonder if i put down boar/fox down as my reason for.308 if that would cut it?. Ive just tried to call my FAO but hes away till monday so I'm going to call him then. If its a yes, then its Tikka T3 tactical here we come!!!!!!

Regards

Paul (the Bambi lover) :oops::good:

Rember you need good reason to justify a rifle ,shooting fox whilst deershooting is no good as I travel 36 miles to deershoot .When its dark like this time of year I will spend a hour lamping after finishing deershooting I am no longer deershooting so the condition needs to be fox and deer .The local feo dont like you leaving a rifle in the car unatended so taking 2 is out so I have a .308 and a .300 for fox control also this gives me the oputunity to just take the .308 or the .300 just foxing

Deershooting

Baldrick,

Your talking about my thread mate, and like others that have contributed to this forum l do have Deer management and Fox & vermin control written in that order on my licence. This allowed me through Thames Valley to get the mentoring thing put on for a while (with no proviso that l have to carry out DSC1 - although l will!). Shooting foxes with heavy grain .308 bullets is not ideal as the post above this shows what happens - big holes (but as you say a dead fox is best). Although l have shot a fox with 150 + grains (once or twice). most of the time l get 85-100 grain bullets which when discussed with my FAO was the best way to go about making the most of this versatile calibre. (lighter grain cost a lot more by the way) which is why now i'm looing into either a 22- 250 or a .223.

• 10 years later...

I have a .308 and yes, when you shoot foxes sometimes its not worth picking up the pieces. But they would only allow me to have one if i put boar and deer on it which is fine because i do shoot them as im in the forest of dean. I believe something cant be dead enough but for long range foxing you would be better with a .223 or .243 as my Remington .308 kicks like a mule!