Gun dog

samowen318

looking for a gun dog to accompany me on my shooting outings next year, i have just got a whippet recently for ferreting and lamping but what gun dog is best or what gun dog should i get for going ferreting, wildfowling, pigeon and crow shooting and possibly rough shooting once or twice a season?

any advice welcome

looking for a gun dog to accompany me on my shooting outings next year, i have just got a whippet recently for ferreting and lamping but what gun dog is best or what gun dog should i get for going ferreting, wildfowling, pigeon and crow shooting and possibly rough shooting once or twice a season?

any advice welcome

I would recommend a Labrador for a first time dog not sure if it would be good when ferreting though as they have a tendency to keep retrieving the rabbits you have caught :lol:

Whatever you do get make sure it is from good working stock ???

LB

any advice welcome

I would recommend a Labrador for a first time dog not sure if it would be good when ferreting though as they have a tendency to keep retrieving the rabbits you have caught :lol:

Whatever you do get make sure it is from good working stock ???

LB

i have a labrador for pigeon and rough shooting, if you go for a lab i would suggest you think about what sex you get i always go for males although they can be a bit head strong. i would agree it would better to get a lab from a working line which mine is but my first lab came from a show line it was hard to train him but he turned out to be an ace pigeon shooting dog. for ferreting i have a cross patterdale/border brilliant for grabbing rabbits as they bolt and will go into brambles and thick cover with no hesitation .

only problems are that they will soon go to ground once they start to hunt and will dissapear down a rabbit hole before you can say jack robinson so i put a small ferret tracker on his collar and keep my trenching spade close.

hope this helps.

regards tony

• 1 month later...

Don't be put off from getting a Springer, as rough shooting dog to work headges brambles rough ground you wont get better. Even standing on a peg they are still good for a retreive.

Just do your homework and get a good working dog one that was bred to give the breeder a good dog not a bigger bank balance.

Edited by rodfish

Im interested in getting a pup too but im away from home 8am - 6pm so will have to build a run and get a shed 1st. Want an all round gun dog/family pet so have narrowed it down to a lab or cocker spaniel. Labs are obviously well recomended but whats the views on cockers???

If your away for that amount of time, is there really point in getting a dog?

Puppy will need a lot of time

i have a cocker spaniel, from show lines as opposed to working, she has a excellent temprament , hunts up very well and this season has finally got the idea when it comes to retrieveing - she doesn't have that 'natural ability' but lots of patience has paid off and she is 'OK'

she will never win any medals but a great dog that comes rabbiting, rough shooting and is also a pet

having said that i would DEFINATELY go for working lines next time and it would probably be a cocker again, although i have been toying with the thought of a black lab.......................

Cheers for all the feedback, does anybody know of any for sale? I am not fussed whether it is a spaniel or a lab as i cant really afford to be fussy as i dont have that much money.

samowen,

the purchase price of the dog is just the entry fee. Dogs aren't cheap to keep and the initial price is far less than the 'running costs'. As an example, I got my roxy as a pup in the US from hunting stock. She was $600, which is fairly normal for well bred but not super field champion hunting lines. Over the first year we had 4 vet visits including an initial visit to meet the vet and get roxy's second shots, her last set of shots, and a visit to get her fixed. The total for the 4 vet visits that year was closer to $1000 than $600. She goes through a bag of food every other month for £16 a month (£200 a year). Assorted toys and treats come and go as funds are available when I see something for her. Vet bills this year (not counting the $275 from when she got bit on a sunday) were in the $200 range. Of course we also moved her from the US to here which incurred a lot of cost, but that was an exceptional circumstance that few others will hae to deal with (if someone else DOES have to do it, I can help with the planning).

So just be advised that you should figure a dog for £25 a month in your budget scheme plus pet insurance if you get it, all on top of the initial price of the dog.

Sometimes I think it would just be a lot easier and cheaper without a dog in the house. Then she comes and cuddles up against you on the couch and I know why I'll probably not be without a dog.

Thanks,

Rick

CBF, beg pardon if you've noted it elsewhere and I missed it, but what breed is your American import? Did you import the dog, or perhaps bring it over with you when moving to the UK? Either can be a tricky tack seldom deployed because of the quarantine or even the Pet Passport scheme, meaning you cannot get a pup in your possession in the UK until at least 6 mos. old. I've never known Labs or spaniels brought (back) into the UK from elsewhere for working purposes, the only gundog that's gone that route in my familiarity is the Chessie, an American breed.

For the original What Gundog? poster, the answer, if the above could be circumvented, would be a spaniel and a retriever that are one and the same, the Boykin spaniel.

000913.jpg

MG

I have said it a million times but i do like the Boykin, just a shame they are not recognised by the KC as they are in America

But if you are not woried about that they seem great all round dogs to have, although i have not seen many advertised in the UK...but i could be wrong

My little springer do everything the lab would do and more.

She is a real star.

Sweepy has taken her wildfowling with him this year.And she has done everything that he has asked of her.

Shes always eager to please.

And she will sit beside him all day in the hide.

At home its just like having the cat . She must be the only springer that is not mad.

And she will quite happy lay in her bed. All day if you yet her.

I would recommend springers as the family pet too.

We would never swap her for the lab.

But that is are own personal choice.

xxxxSuzy

Sam to do all the things you ask for its got to be a lab realy . Springes are great dogs , but their instinct is to busy all the time while a lab will be happy to sit and watch the world go by while wildfowling. Labs also have the advantage over springers that they dry off very quickly and they are strong enough to cope with big geese , something a lot of the smaller springers struggle with. On the down side some labs can be shy of thick cover when you are rough shooting.

As for me I have a golden retriever and a young lab. I have also had springers in the past , but as you say its going to be your first dog perhaps a lab would be an easy option. There is an old phrase which can ring very true for a beginner at dog training " Most labs are born half trained , most springers die half trained ".

Good luck