Why we tail dock working dogs !!

henry d

This a cocker spaniel and it is 22 months old, first season in the beating line and she has damaged her tail badly and has had to have it amputated. The cost was £140 but the real cost was the pain that she went through and still does as it isn`t fully healed yet and the dog also had to endure a full anaesthetic.

**Edit** I have also sent this to BASC so they can use it to hopefully overturn/amend this stupid law !

post-1301-1232709711.jpg

post-1301-1232709731.jpg

thats the problem, if the tail is normal length they can injure them then constantly agravate it by wagging. Couple that with the injury possibly letting infection straight into the spinal chord and you have the reason the law is a load of bullocks and not in dogs best interests. Take it one step further and it was better when the owner could dock as then you could do the puppies at less than a day old when the bone hasn't hardened and the senses aren't properly developed, and without dragging pups with no immunity to the vets where they are most likely to pick something up

This serves as a reminder to all Scottish shooters who come across similar situations to do as HD has done and get the evidence and pass it on to BASC / SGA etc. The organisations are still gathering evidence to present to the Wee Pretendy Parliament to try to overturn the (Scottish) total ban. Let's hope Alex Salmond delivers on his pre-election promise!

I wonder if the vet who had to carry out the amputation is/was pro or anti-docking? In my opinion, any anti-docking vet should be made to carry out later amputations such as this free of charge.

Docking at birth for working dog = £10 or so per dog?

Amputation = £140

Hmm, vets aren't daft are they?

a springers tail is wagged continuously and thats where the damage occours a lab has a gentler tail motion so it escapes punishment kenny :lol:

Thanks kenny.

I would not say our lab have a gentle tail motion, When our daughter was still small the lab use to knock her over with that tail, lol. But i know what you mean.

Regards

Spaniels spend most of their time in deep cover and tend to get a good wag on when they're on game scent. My docked dogs often have slightly bloody tips to their tails - I dread to think what they'd be like with full tails :blush::lol:

I remember some anti docking rubbish came out which reckoned more docked dogs had damaged tails than undocked but this was because they hadn't taken them as a respective percentage and there were probably only about 2 undocked dogs working at the time - absolute nonsense!

Edited by gdunc

Just to clarify this , the smaller cockers and springers run deep in cover , in and inder brambles, thorn bushes etc , and the labs, goldens and short hairs like mine will NOT even try to rnter this cover......................they can't , an undocked dog in deep cover is going to end up with an injury , ranging from a good scuffing to a complete peeling of the tail!!!!

I have a very good friend who is a vet and a shooting man and have been informed by him.

The docking and cutting of ears bans are OK but only for ornamental dogs , working dogs need to be docked before they have to suffer a very painfull operation to remove what is in effect the tail end of their spine!!THE QUESTION I PUT TO ANYONE WHO DISAGREES IS WOULD YOU LIKE A LITTLE OF YOUR SPINE REMOVED?

Just to clarify this , the smaller cockers and springers run deep in cover , in and inder brambles, thorn bushes etc , and the labs, goldens and short hairs like mine will NOT even try to rnter this cover......................they can't , an undocked dog in deep cover is going to end up with an injury , ranging from a good scuffing to a complete peeling of the tail!!!!

I have a very good friend who is a vet and a shooting man and have been informed by him.

The docking and cutting of ears bans are OK but only for ornamental dogs , working dogs need to be docked before they have to suffer a very painfull operation to remove what is in effect the tail end of their spine!!THE QUESTION I PUT TO ANYONE WHO DISAGREES IS WOULD YOU LIKE A LITTLE OF YOUR SPINE REMOVED?

So its not a spine when you get it docked as a puppy?

Ive seen a springer go through light cover not even much bramble in there and when he came out the end of his undocked tail was bleeding.

Vets would rather see a dog in pain.

Thanks kenny.

I would not say our lab have a gentle tail motion, When our daughter was still small the lab use to knock her over with that tail, lol. But i know what you mean.

Regards

By no means is that gospel Guinea Fowl. My lab bleeds like a cut pig after every session on the pigeons. Sits in the hide wagging it like a cocker and then sprays claret around the house when we get home :lol:

Doesn't seem to cause him any distress but the rottie is sick of having to wash the tideline that he makes 2' of the floor.

LB

This a cocker spaniel and it is 22 months old, first season in the beating line and she has damaged her tail badly and has had to have it amputated. The cost was £140 but the real cost was the pain that she went through and still does as it isn`t fully healed yet and the dog also had to endure a full anaesthetic.

**Edit** I have also sent this to BASC so they can use it to hopefully overturn/amend this stupid law !

Well done for posting this thread,hope BASC use the pictures.

Hi all

I have a patt x jack she as a full curley tail and does not bother her in any way. when people see her they often say, I wondered whot theyed look like with a full tail; and seem to like the full version, so my oppenion seems to be that docking is not needed in the terrier breeds.

thanks, Dan. :angry: