What to do with spent cartridges??

I was walking the fields today and couldn't believe the amount of spent cartridges laying around. This is something that really annoys me, how hard is it to just pick them up??

I always take mine home then throw them in the bin. I'm not really sure what else to do with them. I would put them in the recycling bin but I don't know what problems this may cause when someone has to sort them the other end. They may think there are some live ones and that could cause all sorts of problems!!

Can you still buy paper/card cartridges?

Just to add to this I know the carts will end up in land fill which is not good, but at least all the rubbish is together and not on farm land.

SS

Edited by Shabbyshot

:hmm: good point people.on my farms that i shoot over,there is a strong feeling

about this.

there are four guns that shoot the land, three regular, and one not so often...

but each and evrey one of us puts spent carts in our pockets,then in our bins at home.

IT'S A MUST DO THING. :hmm:

Not only does it safe gaurd stock, and our widlife etc.

but it lets us know if someone else has been shooting the land, if we find any spent carts...

i.e (poachers).. :hmm:

THANKYOU SHOOTERS, KEEP YOUR SHOOTS TIDY. :good:

one of the farms i shoot over has a standing legacy shooter (he was the chef of the old lord of the manor before it all got sold off), because of this, he thinks it's his god given rights to leave empty shells everywhere - he also leaves empty wine bottles, wrappers, dead corvids etc in the hides. It really does annoy me (and the farmer i hasten to add!), but there's not a lot we can do about it.

I believe you should always pick up shells, use fibre wads etc on farmland.

Leave no trace - it's not that hard!

Theres no educating ignorant people, dumping them when you're in the middle of a field, when its chore to carry them away with you ( :good: ) is one thing, but when i see people dumping them on the floor at a shooting ground when there are cartridge bins at every shooting point not 2ft away from the pr!cks almost pushes me over the edge. :hmm:

As soon as its safe to do so i now tell people (in the politest possible terms of course :hmm: ) to pick their mess up. If i saw anyone doing it in the field i'd do the same.

Mark

In many cases the litterbugs are people who have never been taught or shown good gun handling.

If a break action SG is opened with one hand on the grip and one hand on the fore-end, and has ejectors - those carts are going to fly.

Instead, grip the stock with your elbow and hip, use your thumb on the lever, and your shooting hand becomes free to cup the chambers as the carts eject - into your hand, then in the bin or pocket.

Theres absolutely no need for carts to even get on the ground.

In my view, if a person shows discipline in their gun handling over points like cartridge collection, they are much more likely to be safe shooters.

Thank you to all the binners and pocketers - well done.

Am in agreement with all the above but what do people do with used Rimi brass ? Other than bining it is there another use for it ? :good:

There was a machine available, from the US of A, a few years ago that turned spent 22lr cases into jackets for 22cf bullets! A guy from our club bought one but I have no idea what happened to it

Edited by manc-munsters

I dont think anyone who respects the land would be using plastic wads on open land,you see them on freshly plowed fields and I wonder how long they have been lying around.

Personally I cant wait for the scrap price to come back as my shooting partner and I collect all our brass .22,.223,.243,.270 and his obscene .375,its an awful lot of brass that soon mounts up and we use it to buy in more rounds,proper recycling that is.

We have just come back from a little shooting break on a farm.

Beautiful scenery everywhere it was great but people had left empty cartridge cases all over the place along with loads of tin cans that had been used as target practise also dead birds left on the side of the path waiting for someone else to move them.

I just don't understand some people!

I got one of those telescopic magnets from the pound shop to pick them up with

Holiday was great though.