What Scope for Those 300 yard shots

pavman

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That's actually a reasonable point Stuart.

We made the assumption that it was Pav getting rounds on paper because both Zapp and I were holding a reasonable group, but below the target area at 200m. We were confident that our shots were in a slightly larger group than before, but further below the target area. Even with the breeze, I really don't think that they would have moved that far to the left from my card (right target). Zapp is a possible, but again, his grouping was such that this is unlikely.

Great reading chaps :no:

So now we all know what I thought long long ago... the HMR is expensive to feed, noisy, and dosen't shoot as far as most seem to think it will ;)

I'll stick with the .223 for the super rangey bunnys then :w00t:

If you couldn't find your shots at 300yards Wookie how do you know it was Pav who hit his and not one of you two :good:

Your at it :no:

cant at least get some credit for marksmanship ;)

ok so what happend IMHO wookies balistic software is in error I was holding over much more than him and Zapp at 300, I gave it all the mildot and halfway down the lower post to try to get the 36 inch my card gave me. All in its proves to me avg guys in normal conditions with a standard zero at 100 off the truck should stick to 150 or less to avoid problems, it also shows the error in info about drop etc and how that adds up at distance, I feel like Wookie and Zapp long range shots with a Rimmy are not the thing they were made for, and if you do chance it on live quarry and then brag about it dont expect some of us to be less than impresed when you do :w00t:

Edited by pavman

cant at least get some credit for marksmanship :w00t:

ok so what happend IMHO wookies balistic software is in error I was holding over much more than him and Zapp at 300, I gave it all the mildot and halfway down the lower post to try to get the 36 inch my card gave me.

Sorry, good shot Pav :no:

I thought 30" was number I saw for holdover at 300 yards back in this thread somewhere, but can't see it now.

Just goes to show you need to test these things in real life, and that programs are only good for estimating.

Good read although im abit confused about the mildot calculations. 1 mildot at 300m should equal 12" therefore 3 mildots should have given the required 36" of drop. Results certainly showed 300m shot with a HMR is potluck due to the variables.

It was actually suggested at the time that the inside of a large warehouse or something might allow us to get a tighter, more precise group in the kill zone, but then so would repeated shots and adjusting the sights to take into account the drop. So would having the rifle on a bench, or fully on beanbags.

If anyone knows of a 300m inside range, I'd be more than happy to try that out.

Good read although im abit confused about the mildot calculations. 1 mildot at 300m should equal 12" therefore 3 mildots should have given the required 36" of drop. Results certainly showed 300m shot with a HMR is potluck due to the variables.

dony worry me to, it should be around 3 ish @100 but in fact its nothing like (for me) so you have to test it for yourself to know what your set up gives dont rely on books and charts as I found its more like 1" at hence the massive hold over that proved close (ish) on the day. Had I held over 3 i would have been way low off the card which is what Wookie and Zapp found and they shot better than me at closer range, in fact Zapp had 4 out of 5 in the 1 inch black @100 even in the wind :no: you often see folk say the HMR shoots "flat to 150" some say allow 2 inch drop but when a tested mine it drops at least 3 inch from 100 to 150 and if i hold over 1 mildot it shots 1inch high @100 :w00t:

The tests you did were 'real world' Wookie, not many go shooting inside warehouses

Nail on the head right there. The specific question was whether a 300 yard shot on a rabbit was feasable in field conditions with a .17hmr.

However, as Leasone says, it would be interesting to see what the round could do at that range in zero windage conditions. Of course, the indoor range 300 yard results could not be applied to field shooting under any circumstances.

ZB

• 2 weeks later...

:rolleyes: Interesting write up!!! I doubt even with my 6-24x50 that i could see a bunny at 300 yards let alone hit it!!!! But all the shots i have claimed, the max is 225yards on a hare are all measured with the bushnell laser finder.And lets face it, a hare aint a little target!!

I have now been out with my mate that claims he can shoot an apple sized group at 300 yards with his hmr

We have a diamond shaped field that has a warren in the tip on a small hill so its totally safe, at 205 yards from tip to tip, I watched him nail and drop 6 out of 7 rabbits he shot at, and they were all shoulder shots and several of them were juveniles so smaller than an adult (they get fed to snakes and they dont like mushy heads).

So this guy can do what he says out to 200, but the distinct advantage he has over me is that he shoots every night and has shot 1800 rabbits in the last 6 months......Ive probably shot 100!!! He says he doesnt hold over at that range but he must be doing something different as Ive witnessed his shooting and its bloody excellent!!! Its a shame bob 300w isnt on here any more, he knows him and has seen him shoot. I dont know how he does it, he doesnt go on forums or read up on shooting, he shoots rabbits because he has about 100 boas to feed......and hes bloody good at it!!!!!!! :oops:

• 2 months later...
Great write up,I'd like to see the same sort of thing with a 243 that some people say they are shooting out to 4-500 yards on live quarry...

Regards,

Gixer...

Like Ackley says, 500+ is hardly much of a stretch for a decent .243 on rabbits/foxes etc.

as said its not hard,

Just out of interest please tell me why anyone would wish to shoot a Rabbit with a CF at 500 yards, deffo not saying you cant but I dont get my head round why in the first place,

the airgunners on here have lots of success on bunnies with 12 ft/lbs and 15 grains of lead and I would vote they use good field craft and skill in so doing, the part time pros, game keepers and the likes use the 22 or like me the .17HMR quite why you would point upwards of1200ft/lbs at a Rabbit 500 yards away is a mystery,

is it me :oops:

Pavman it is simply a different kind of skill, fieldcraft or whatever you want to call it. So many factors come into play at long range, it becomes a sort of art-form in getting them all right and achieving the hit. If you haven't tried it, don't knock it. For me my next barrier is to get a 1 mile rabbit :oops:

Edited by Tiff-TRG

don't forget these shots are taken every day on people in the likes of Afghanistan, call it marksmanship or a test of whats possible. How different is it to high pheasant shooting where the odds are far more likely of injury rather than the kill