Plastic or Fibre Wad

I'm new to the sport and will be buying my first lot of cartridges in a couple of weeks. I will be using them in the field for pigeons and was considering the Express Pigeon Special 30G (the name gave it away) in size 6. However the question is what difference does a plastic or felt/fibre wad make when shooting? (apart from a happier land owner).

Thanks

Edited by Kron

Plastic "Cup" the shot load so that there is little contact between the shot and the barrel wall. This means that the fibre shell rolls the pellets up the barrel wall and turns the outer pellets sausage shaped, so the edge of the pattern is loose and ragged as these become what is known as "flyers". These pellets are wasted at the edge of the pattern as they run wide and there is not enough edge definition to g'tee a kill on the side of the pattern.

Fibre do not gas seal as well ( although there are premium systems of felt wads that do not loose velocity performance over the plastic equiv, but they tend to be 10% more expensive) - so there is usually a performance drop of about 50fps MV.

Competition shooters will always choose plastic for better performance, but there are places and instances where only biodegradable wads will be acceptable. If you buy a fibre equivalent that is only slightly more expensive#ve than its matching plastic wad, expect to note a performance difference - but if you buy premium felt wads, you can get the same performance as plastic but at a price.

I always try to pick up used shells and dislike plastic wads littering the countryside so i buy fibre wad shells and try not to think about the looser pattern, as for most shooters ability i dont think it matters. If you think the pattern is not tight enough use a tighter choke.

The difference in patterns is pretty negligible in my experience. I pattern tested a few different brands through my gun a few years ago, both plastic and fibre. The tightest and most even pattern came from Eley Grand Prix 30 grams of no.5 fibre, this even beat an Eley VIP 30 gram 5 plastic. I have also watched genuine 50 - 60 yards pheasants being killed cleanly and consistently by 32 grams no.5 fibre wad.

I've also heard that the pattern differs depending on the cartridge to gun set up. Is this true? and if so how do you go about settling on a set up without testing every cartridge on the market?

Or am I just making it all too complicated? :good:

To be honest I have never noticed any difference. For the cartridge makers plastic wads are much easier to load on their automated machines and cheaper to buy as well.

I think deep down thats why they promote plastic wads like they do. To an extent I suspect we are being conned by all the publicity.

I like felt wads for game.

There are probably only a couple of people who post on pigeonwatch who are good enough shots to notice the difference between fibre and plas wads (and I don't include myself in that group). Pointing the gun in the right direction is far more important - don't waste your time blaming a miss on fibre wads!!

I don't believe that plastic wads do give better patterns. If you use a heavy shot cup you can get a tigher pattern but its not necessarily better. The quality and eveness of the shot is much more critical.

Like I said before, don't get fooled by the flim flam put out by the cartridge sellers. They have their own reasons for wanting to sell you plastic wads.

The countyside has to contend with enough litter without plastic wads laying around for eternity, they look awful, stock can choke on them and they just dont go away. We all pick up our cases but rarely can we find the plastic wads.

We seem to live in an age now that everyday we hear, or read of some new law being introduced usually via the back door in the small hours, banning this or taxing that, imo its about time someone banned the use of plastic wads for use other than on registered clay grounds.

This obviously is my personal opinion but perhaps others are likeminded and if we, the users/shooters, did not buy them then just maybe the dealers would be prepared stock more felt wadded loads to choose from, my local supplier offers just a very small choice.

Lets have some opinions would you prefer to use only felt wads on your ground?

Rgds D2D.

I always use fibre wads apart from in cartridges that can't use fibre (ie steel shot and very heavy loads). I hate seeing plastic wads around my shoots, drives me mad! The pattern thing is all in peoples heads. Plastic may offer a slightly better pattern but would the average shot notice? I very much doubt it!

Go for fibre. Plastic is naff and sits around for years looking untidy. It can even choke cattle if they swallow it which could be expensive if you are the only person on the ground where it happens (unlikely but possible).

There are probably only a couple of people who post on pigeonwatch who are good enough shots to notice the difference between fibre and plas wads (and I don't include myself in that group). Pointing the gun in the right direction is far more important - don't waste your time blaming a miss on fibre wads!!

well said..........I can miss just as well with fibre as I can with plastic :good: , usually buy fibre though :lol: .

Guest topshot_2k
I don't believe that plastic wads do give better patterns. If you use a heavy shot cup you can get a tigher pattern but its not necessarily better. The quality and eveness of the shot is much more critical.

Like I said before, don't get fooled by the flim flam put out by the cartridge sellers. They have their own reasons for wanting to sell you plastic wads.

i agree, and from my own tests there isnt any real difference. i always use fibre now (when possible)

Also worth noting that the new 'vegi' wads are being tested and should be about soon, they enclose the shot like a plastic wad but degrade very quickly when on the ground

Edited by topshot_2k

Guest cookoff013

went to my new shoot on sat,

the only impact i did have is picking up someone elses cartridges, so i dont get labelled a litter lout.

i cleared up about 15 or so.

but beyond the boundry is about 1-200 shells on the floor. !

picked up loads a wads too. i`ll be using fibre. always.

without a single shot fired i was much cleaner than the last guys.

It seems someone is using guesswork when talking about fibre and plastic wads eley cartridges are loaded to the same speed at target about 1100 fps at 60ft be they plastic or fibre in most clay loads and 1090 fps in game loads

The only difference in pattern is the fact that fibre loads start to pattern as they leave the barrel and plastic start to pattern when the wad opens usually 10 ft this means that at some close in targets fibre wads will have a more open pattern than plastic and at distant targets plastic will give a tighter pattern but not by a lot most effect on pattern will be made by the chokes you have in the gun.

• 3 weeks later...

I use to shoot plastic,but prefer to use fibre nowadays,simply because my shooting is mainly over land holding livestock,and to be perfectly honest i dont think theres much between them.Yes i know fibre costs a little more per-thou,but most people like you to use fibre around where i am,even most of the local clay shoots are switching from plastic over to fibre,and if you have a good day over the decoys and do use plastic i will always try to clear up as many shot-cups as i can find at the end of the session,it only takes a few minutes to clear up,but could take some while to find a new shoot if you upset the farmer :good::hmm: