mark12345

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Vauxhall Frontera "B" LWB Dti

You might laugh, but it gives me 37 mpg on a drive, is very comfortable, has a huge boot and load area when the back seats are down. and is more than capable off road on the fields.

I would rate it as better than a Defender 110 on the roads in any case.

i have had most 4x4's on the road and have just recently bought another trooper but to be honest the suzuki will do the job with ease it is just the size (load area) thats against them for me infact i still have an old vitara which i keep on the farm

Yes, in my experience you need to know a good mechanic if you own a Disco to "do all" the continual maintainance ! :lol:

Maybe you should look in to the reliability of the Disco 3

http://www.automobilesreview.com/auto-news...voted-4x4/4784/

The Land Rover Discovery 3, one of the most decorated 4×4s ever, scooped yet another accolade today, having been voted the Best Used 4×4 by What Car? Magazine.

The award takes into account the price, performance, availability, desirability and reliability for the sector for which, the Discovery 3 came out on top, beating the two runners-up, the Nissan X-Trail and Kia Sorento.

One of the fleet car reliabilty surveys put the Disco 3 as the 2nd most reliable car around, just being beaten by the Skoda Octavia.

My suzuki was bent by a nice man who drove away without leaving his details. Shame it was all on camera. Anyhoo, while his insurers were making good my vehicle I had a Nissan (big long land barge) then the new Discovery HSE. If there is anything better to drive I have never been in it. The only bugbear with it was driving off road filling feeders. If I don't want to wear a seat belt, I don't want to, and it kept nagging me to put one on. I think that beeper would need to be killed. Also it will not let you drive quickly off road, without threatening to let the suspension down all the time.

But to drive to scotland and back in absolute comfort, and up some nasty tracks in Aberfeldy, PERFECT!

ft

Think you can shove it in to on of the drive modes and it wont ****** around with suspension. Must be a way to turn the seatbelt alarm off, easiest way is probably to unplug the under seat sensor.

you could always just fasten the seatbelt before getting into the seat then sitting on it...... :lol:

shaun

Instead of starting a new topic I thought I ask here.

I am basically looking to buy a 4x4 for mixed use on and off road. Of paramount importance to me is that the vehicle is reliable and does not require expensive maintenance. From what I read here Land Rovers are not that cheap to run. It is a pitty really as I love the idea of owning one.

What are my options after that? Mitsubishi seem to be a popular choice amongst PW members. I also like the idea of the new Nissan range.

At this point in time I am not sure if I am going to go for a brand new vehicle or a second hand one, so please treat this querry in as a general manner as you can. I am interested in a vehicle I can drive everyday but also trust to take me off road too. Leather interiors etc are not things I am after, comfort and reliability though are.

Any suggestions?

Instead of starting a new topic I thought I ask here.

I am basically looking to buy a 4x4 for mixed use on and off road. Of paramount importance to me is that the vehicle is reliable and does not require expensive maintenance. From what I read here Land Rovers are not that cheap to run. It is a pitty really as I love the idea of owning one.

What are my options after that? Mitsubishi seem to be a popular choice amongst PW members. I also like the idea of the new Nissan range.

At this point in time I am not sure if I am going to go for a brand new vehicle or a second hand one, so please treat this querry in as a general manner as you can. I am interested in a vehicle I can drive everyday but also trust to take me off road too. Leather interiors etc are not things I am after, comfort and reliability though are.

Any suggestions?

Yes, buy a Freelander 2, or ideally a Freelander 3. They are very well-behaved on-road, and capable off-road (the Freelander 3 particularly so).

I have a Td5 Disco that has yet to drop a *******, other than a smashed propshaft last month (my fault entirely). I did about 22,000 miles in it last year, a fair portion of that smashing it about on the farm, and I just love it. We now have a Fourtrack, various Defenders (the new version is superb), a Unimog and an absolutely loathesome Mitsubishi L200 all serving as farm trucks. We ditched the Disco 3, as it was heavy, and lacked ground clearance and wheel articulation. Pick-up trucks (excepting the mighty Defender) are all well and good if you're a plumber or landscape gardener, but the lack of rear-end mass means they are the first to get stuck off-road.

Whatever you buy, stick decent tyres on it: BF Goodrich or General Grabber ATs. No amount of fancy gadgets will get you unstuck if you can't put the grip down.

@al4x: It is going to be used both to take my wife to work and as a shooting vehicle. I need an all arounder, really. Conventional 4x4 is what I have my sights on, I have not thought of a pick up yet. Do you have any particular in mind?

@Baldrick: So a Land rover is not out of contention then? People here seem to paint them with dark colours and argue that owning one is a decision one makes with their heart and not with their mind. Is this so?