Pigeon thief

Neels

I live in a semi-rural are in North Wales

Came home on Monday after work to have my family members allege that the mess of feathers in the back yard was caused by a bird of prey. These feather belonged to one of the woodpigeons that the law and common sense dictate are safe from my culinary intentions :angry: .

I left the crime scene in my back yard untouched for a day and lo and behold the criminal returned to the scene this morning.

post-12255-1238011097.jpg

and

post-12255-1238011113.jpg

It is suggested to be a sparrowhawk - can anyoneone confirm?

Cheers

Neels

Came home on Monday after work to have my family members allege that the mess of feathers in the back yard was caused by a bird of prey. These feather belonged to one of the woodpigeons that the law and common sense dictate are safe from my culinary intentions :angry: .

I left the crime scene in my back yard untouched for a day and lo and behold the criminal returned to the scene this morning.

and

Cheers

Neels

Can't confirm the bird but nice photos.

Isn't there an old saying

The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

It must be your friend.

taz

Came home on Monday after work to have my family members allege that the mess of feathers in the back yard was caused by a bird of prey. These feather belonged to one of the woodpigeons that the law and common sense dictate are safe from my culinary intentions <_< .

and

Cheers

Neels

Flippin heck! Forget eating the pigeon - it looks like it put a bomb in it :good:

A sparrowhawk for sure-but they dont tend to pick on birds as big as pigeons usually-great photos.

Not only is it a sparrowhawk but it's a female sparrowhawk.

A male would be very unlikely to take a pigeon,on the other hand the female which is much bigger than the male regularly take pigeons.

Thanks for the comments everyone

She's come back again tonight, trying to lift what little remains of the pigeon over the fence, but it is still too heavy. She only manages to lift it about 8 inches, but she stayed to feed some after after that.

I am tempted to leave it in the back garden for a couple of days more to see how much she eventually eats

Neels

female sparrow hawks will take pigeons at will my old mans racers are proof of that it said that sparrowhawks eat 2500000 protected song bird per day and they are on the increase like all predators people will start seeing them more and more as they start to venture into gardens etc in search of food they might look nice but they need controlling if we want our song birds to remain

This happened in my garden as well about a month ago, missus was in by her self and that is exactly what she described, looked in the books and she identified the Sprara hyke directly.

Great Pics, the one in our garden did off with the whole bird before the missus could get the camera sorted.

This was in URBAN BASINGTOKE as well, If I hadn't seen the amount of feathers on the lawn I might have struggled to believe her.

Trev

female sparrow hawks will take pigeons at will my old mans racers are proof of that it said that sparrowhawks eat 2500000 protected song bird per day and they are on the increase like all predators people will start seeing them more and more as they start to venture into gardens etc in search of food they might look nice but they need controlling if we want our song birds to remain

That is the biggest load of manure I have seen spouted in a long time. Raptor populations will only expand if the food source is available to them. Once the food source dies out so do the raptors. Ergo high populations of raptors = high populations of food.

Some people cannot see further than KILL IT.

Bye the bye: It is only the female that is known as a spar the male is known as a musket.

TC