Mathematics help needed.

Cranfield

And the answer is:- 12.02feet or 12feet and a 1/4inch.

It can be calculated by the 1:1:root 2 rule for triangles with two equal sides.Hence the diagonal is 1.414 x 8.5. Or you can draw a scale square and work it out that way.

Hello Gordon.

Vic.

Edited by VicW

I went to school with Pythagoras, but he was always rambling about complicated stuff and we told him, "we don't need to learn this, it will never be any use to us". :good:

Of course, at that time I didn't realise that one day I would need to accurately mark out for a concrete base. :blush:

Two "guesses" have it at 12ft and 1/4 inch, and webbers doing a recount, things are looking good. :blush:

Indeed sqrt((8.5^2) * 2) = 12.02082 feet = 12' 1/4"

OR, if you like trigonometry...

As both sides are equal, we know that the angles are each 45 degrees, therefore Hypotenuse = 8.5/sin(45) or 8.5/cos(45)

which = 12.02082 feet = 12' 1/4"

:blush:

Ah ha!, Apbuild - the first person with the entirely reasonable idea of using metric measurement.

12.02ft?? What a mad women's breakfast of a result that was and a perfect argument for a more rational unit of measurement.

Not for the die-hards here though, who I suspect in their heart of hearts have a secret campaign to bring back palms and cubits.

Ah ha!, Apbuild - the first person with the entirely reasonable idea of using metric measurement.

12.02ft?? What a mad women's breakfast of a result that was and a perfect argument for a more rational unit of measurement.

Not for the die-hards here though, who I suspect in their heart of hearts have a secret campaign to bring back palms and cubits.

LOL!

Well it doesn't really matter what the unit is, the result is always going to be a 'mad women's breakfast' to someone. Twelve foot and quarter inch is no slower to mark out than 3664mm

Regarding marking out at 1cm:1ft, your accuracy is going to suffer. Assuming you can draw perfectly and read your rule at ~1mm accuracy you could be +/- 1.2". That is enough of a gap in the floor of Cranners' garden shed to let 12g cartridges through. The consequences are unimaginable! :good:

Edited by alexm