How Many Farmers Do We Have?

new to the flock

Animals, crops, AND dirt.

aka sheep, beef cattle, wheat, barley, oilseed rape, linseed (every few years after forgetting how bad it was to combine), beans, oats, grass.

I suppose should also add quite a proportion of the farm in environmental schemes eg fallow plots for ground nesting birds, grass strips round fields for grey partridge, pollen nectar plots for butterflies etc. Lots of hassle for little return, but potentially one of the most satisfying aspects of farming nowadays.

Me I used to have sheep till I relised I could make as much money renting the grazing out as I could, putting my own sheep on the grass.

Used to finish 20 pigs a week to bacon wieght, but allways had problems keeping them warm enough through the colder months (September through to May around here)

So now we rent out the grass and buy and sell horses.

I dont believe in subsidies or things like ty goful (welsh stuff that)

I run my land how I want not how I'm told to :o ,

So I supose I'm not a farmer any more blimey when did that happen, hell I've got an enormouse back yard then and I've got 2500m of fencing to do some time

I do like a good waffle :hmm:

ps we don't have dirt in Wales we have mud!! say's so in the advert on tv.

A sizeable in-hand chunk of cereals, sugar beet, spuds and borage, grown on medium and heavy loam over clay, and well-drained loam. We don't do any of that organic rubbish. We keep a herd of Texels, and small herd of Dexters and Belted Galloways. We gave up on pig rearing many years ago. We have broad-leaf woodland managed for furniture timber and sporting purposes, and we have the obligatory cricket-bat willows.

Like Lapwing we have the majority of the land, and all of the woodland, in agri-environmental schemes. It pays good money for relatively little input from us.

Another one here. only small farm though.. just under 200 acres of arable plus about 150+ free range hens. Also pigs but won't have them for much longer as getting rid of them, just too many hoops to jump through and its not worth the bother any more.

Beef and Sheep. Baldrick i just had to do an essay on 'replacing sugar beet in the rotation' if i knew you were a SB grower i could have asked you about it because we dont have it here so didnt know much about it! do you have trouble getting on the heavy ground late in the year to harvest it?

Yes, we have regular trouble, unless conditions are particularly favourable. SB is an utter ball-ache and I am not confident we'll subject ourselves to another year of financial rape at the hands of British Sugar.

What did you conclude would be the ideal replacemement for sugar beet in a rotation?

I'm an honorary apprentice, my partner of 10 years is; had Sheep (still have the 'pets' 10 in total) , but now all arable and contracting in partnership with her brother. Great for me as I get to 'play at it' doing some silaging, rape swathing and corn carting etc etc....

Oh and I get all the vehicle electrics to mend..... :oops:

Oh and she says, 'gert yersel on 'ere lad, be they tellin ye what an' like!'

http://farmingforum.co.uk/forum/YaBB.pl

Edited by The Burpster

Playing at farming is the most enjoyable way: no need to knacker wallet/knees/back/general will to live etc.

Are you not trustworthy enough to be let loose on the combine, Burpster?

I check on BFF almost evey day, as it's both useful and very entertaining.

Edited by Baldrick

Somebody who rears livestock, fish or poultry, produces arable crops or keeps orchards, for commercial benefit.

There's no threshold in terms of head of stock or acreage.

and there was me thinking its someone who works all hours god sends usually for a pittance :rolleyes:

it was difficult to decide because i dont have too much arable experience, but to get the 'break crop' advantage of SB i thought growing OSR instead of it would be ok, but if it was a stock feeding area and you were geared up for SB i thought Fodder Beet because from what i could see you could get more money out of it, because theres no contract. Especially if the SB wasnt the best sugar content or yield. Looked like you needed 80t/ha sb to make much profit. Might be wrong, thats why i would have liked to talk to a grower!

my friends are on bff a lot, 'agristudent' his dad 'sod-buster aka clod' and another mate 'merry' who i think gets slated a lot on there for his views!! im on it as heiniger but dont really go on it much