Ghurka poll

Ozzy Fudd

should Ghurka soldiers automatically receive british citizenship after completing their service?  

166 members have voted

1. 1. should Ghurka soldiers automatically receive british citizenship after completing their service?

• yes
    • no

Yes Viking is welcome to his opinion and it doesn't bother me if it isn't the same as mine. The thing that angered me was the way he worded it. Should we **** another drain on us. Viking these are men who have fought and died for this country, if that shouldn't qualify them to live here I don't know what does.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes Viking is welcome to his opinion and it doesn't bother me if it isn't the same as mine. The thing that angered me was the way he worded it. Should we **** another drain on us. Viking these are men who have fought and died for this country, if that shouldn't qualify them to live here I don't know what does.

Precisely. IMO Vikings post was deliberately worded to cause offence.

Both my father and the man that I was apprenticed under served with the Ghurkas in WW2 in Burma and Malaya. Both of them had the highest respect for these soldiers. They both said that if you had no food the Ghurkas would give up any food that they might have if any, so that our boys would have something. The Ghurkas were the only foreign troops that any of our lads trusted to stand with them in a tight corner when the order was given to fix bayonets.

I have never heard a bad word said against them and the people that have had dealings with them in recent times have commented on how smart, honest and hard working that they are.

Contrast this with the people that are in Calais trying to jump onto the first lorry so that they can get into this country to absorb as many benefits that they can without contributing to this country at all and the scum and scallies that are on some of the worst scum estates.

Some of these wasters have never earnt a quid for several generations and treat the sacrifices of my father and grandfather in contempt.

Viking should have the right to a differing point of view but in this instance it is wrong in the presentation of his opinion.

Given that I do wonder why the Ghurkas should want to settle here rather than their own country of birth where they must be classed as wealthy in relation to the general population there.

I voted a definite YES

Edited by fortune

I would respect his opinion if based on fact with a reasonable argument behind it. "we are too full" is neither and it is also not a reason to stop these people gaining citizenship when they deserve it.

i think my reason is reasonable, we are to full, of all the wrong people, so once again it comes down to different opinions, so stop trying to force yours on me,

Precisely. IMO Vikings post was deliberately worded to cause offence.

it was not ment to offend anyone i can assure you, and i know what they have done but its not like they were promissed they could live hear if they served was it, i dont want to get in an argument with any one for having a different opinion, it was a poll that i thought i would join in on, i gave an honest answer to,

You are correct

If everyone had the same opinion where would we be on here, be pretty boring dont you think? and although I support the Ghurka's to live in this country, I respect vikings opinion, not everyone is the same its life.

After all we are supposed to be living in a democracy and at least viking has got the balls to come out and say it as the other 9 haven't, so show some decency and respect his opinion.

cheers mate, but you shouldnt side with me or you will be ousted, its forum rule you have to side with the mojority no matter what your thoughts or opinions are, :good::good:

cheers, Lee

100% yes from me but while im here i would like to make my feelings felt on the way that people treat anybody whos views dont match theirs on this forum.This is still a relatively free country and citizens like viking have as much right to their opinion as everybody else.We dont all have to agree on anything other than to have the maturity to disagree with tact and diplomacy-i sometimes get the impression that some on this site lack the ability to reason or string together a decent argument so they just hurl abuse-why not try and understand peoples opinions and offer reasonable counter points-only morons use personal insults.(watch this space cos one will most likely be right behind this thread)

:lol: viking, yes you do have the right to voice your opinion without being shot down in flames or insulted,however, if you post a negative opinion to a poll that is 90 odd% positive then surely you must expect a certain amount of flack, it's human nature for god's sake. To say that the majority of users that voted 'yes' are sheep and they only cast that vote to 'please' other users is total bull. It simply means that the vast majority of users share the same opinion. How you can say, and i quote "should they ****,another drain on us" is beyond belief, i mean how can anyone who has fought alongside our own troops be a drain on us, when they have served this country and saved countless lives of british troops. Yes, i find your comments offensive and i don't honestly think you thought them through before posting them, but i will not slag you off for it ,you can say what you like, but you knew you would get this reaction so stop bleating on about it like you're some kind of victim and take it on the chin,after all, you only got the reaction you were after, cheers jon

100% yes from me but while im here i would like to make my feelings felt on the way that people treat anybody whos views dont match theirs on this forum.This is still a relatively free country and citizens like viking have as much right to their opinion as everybody else.

Yes, we all have the right to voice our opinions. What seems to get forgotten though is that we also have a responsibility to accept that our opinion may be unpopular and that we may be told so.

Nobody is under any obligation to respect or accept anything anyone says on here - it is a forum.

ZB

Funnily enough, I was working on a site in Swindon yesterday where the 3 security men were all Ghurkas.

I must say, they all came across as really friendly ,polite blokes. They told me they had all served a minimum of 15 years in the forces, surely that sort of commitment deserves some kind of recognition from the government?

One of the blokes said he wasn't fighting for his rights, as he had been granted British citizenship. But he was fighting for the older generations, his Grandfather , father , etc.

Would be interesting to know what our Mr Viking has done for this country. The Gurkha Regiment is a British regiment, run by British officers and soldiered by people from Nepal.

They fought next to us through both world wars, in various world hotspots and latterly in the Falklands. I believe they have two VC's to their name.

They've fought and died for this country, they've defended it after swearing allegiance to it. But they CAN'T be British because they left the service before 1997.

And yet we're letting in all manner of trash from Eastern Europe, Somalia, etc and paying them to be here.

Gurkhas are not economic refugees, they have given more to our country than to their own, they do not sponge of the state. We owe them and it's about time we paid up.

What have Jacqui Smith or our illustrious PM done in comparison that gives them the moral high ground to deny them citizenship? they've bloody well earned it.

its a yes from me

if they kick out 100,000 ilegal immagrints (soz for **** spelling) and let in the Ghurka's and there familys will that make viking happy ?

the reason ii say 100,000 is i read somewhere that how many ppl could come over ?

like im said anyone who lays life on line for our country should be alound in

I vote yes. I also believe they should receive equal pay as they do the same job and do it well. They are a feared regiment the world over based on their tenacity and aggression in defending our country.

To me the entire issue smacks of political maneuvering as I cannot see a legitimate reason to deny them an option of citizenship. I would not be at all surprised if immediately prior to the next election Labour suddenly reversed their position in an attempt to win popularity and therefore votes. Time will tell.

My old man served with them during the war and i've met a few, if there were a few more with their pride in and dedication to this country it would be a place worth living in again. Of course they deserve the automatic right to citizenship and to live here, far more than a lot of our so called leaders for a start.

I think they should certainly have the choice, and should be given a full pension, so that they can live at home like kings, or like normal struggling people over here, whatever their choice is. I also think that we should allow those that choose to live in Nepal to have access to health care. Anyone who is willing to die for this country should have our respect and be held in a position of honour.

My stepson has served alongside Gurkhas and he reckons they are top blokes.

Rhiannon

Did I hear the idiot un-elected PM say that we can't afford to let any more stay in this country,

say's it all realy, we can let whoever into this country to sponge and thieve, oh and also plan to carry out terrorist attacks on us, but people who fight for this country get treated like dirt...is this what our parents and grandparents fought for,

Well chaps I was right (makes a change) Gordon did imply that we could not afford to let the Ghurkas stay here.

But at least some one somewhere in the houses of parliment has got brains or they can just see when they are about to get stuffed.

It would be nice to think that the poll on the No; 10 web site had something to do with the success.