What would you have done

Was on my way to work this morning, driving into London and at 7.00am was just outside Streatham on the Mitcham Road.

All the traffic in front was slowing down and driving round something. It wasn't until I got there did I realise it was a young fox cub.

Obviously hit around the back legs as cub was lying down awkwardly but head was up and was just looking around unable to move.

I'm afraid I just drove around it.

What would you have done?

Andy

Was on my way to work this morning, driving into London and at 7.00am was just outside Streatham on the Mitcham Road.

All the traffic in front was slowing down and driving round something. It wasn't until I got there did I realise it was a young fox cub.

Obviously hit around the back legs as cub was lying down awkwardly but head was up and was just looking around unable to move.

I'm afraid I just drove around it.

What would you have done?

Andy

Small enough = run its buisness end over.

Too big, leave it, its just not safe to get out on the motorway. As for RSPCA etc, if it was at the side of the road and you pulled onto the hard shoulder to see to it I am not sure what meathods of dispatch it :good::oops:

I've done simialar at Glastonbury festival a few years ago how.

Pick up tiny baby rabbit kittens i think they are called i;ll stand corrected if not.

It was on the drive though the site so picked up and placed in the hedge to the side of the road, did'nt take long for word to get round what i had done.

Then got sumned by the supervisior to back to com's tent to much praise, only thing was the supervisor laughing his head off, told ever what one of the past times was and nearly got raped by the fluffy bunny lot.

Would take theirs time and place for what we shooter do. And that was not the time.

I was out with the girlfriends family at a barbecue when i first met them, there was a rabbit on the pavement with mixy, couldnt see, so i pulled its neck. Everyone was mortified including mum, gran, 3 sisters, nephews, uncle and auntie. She is now the ex girfriend.......but i think it was more than the rabbit to do that.

Willy1, please make sure that your written English is perfect, if you choose to be a grammar pedant.

Agreed. Rather evident in the quote below.

Possibly stopped and tried to move it to the side of the road,and called RSPCA,but,very difficult to say really.it's different to shooting one in the field,compassion takes over for an injured animal,i think we all have it in us.

Slightly reminds me of this

whyarethereschoolpd7.png

Anyway, back to the point... I'd have turned it into one of nature's little speed bumps.

Hmm, a toughy: do you:

1. Do the decent thing & run it over then be hounded all the way to work with the cries of "Murderer" & "That's cruel!" being yammered at you by the very people that would let an animal suffer longer than is necessary in the name of kindness?

2. Phone the RSPCA/SSPCA in the hope they'll get there fast enough to alleviate its suffering?

3. Drive on......

You're damned if you do - damned if you don't here :good:

Had a similar problem a few years ago where I used to work. One of the engineers had hit a fox cub and broken its back leg, and proceeded to bring it into work. We phoned the RSPCA who said they could come out in a couple of days if they weren't too busy (!) and that wildlife were low on their list of priorities. So I took the cub to my local vet who put it out of its misery. Our local vet will treat wild animals for free (though 'treating' does usually mean euthanasia), but at least they know how to do it quickly and painlessly.

My ex-boss told me off for taking time off work saying that the suffering fox cub was not my problem. Can't you see why she's an ex-boss?

In the situation where it's on the motorway, then I'd phone the police as it becomes a hazard to traffic if cars are swerving to avoid it, though I guess a truck driver may have run over the front end to finish the inevitable.

Rhiannon x

I'd have taken it to the RSPCA, and then told them which of my shots to release it on :good::yes::hmm:. Then in a couple of weeks, one dead townie fox....

I like to think I would have run it over, but you can never tell until its you having to make the decision.

I think if I'd have been in teh country no one watching to take down my details I'd have done the kindest thing and killed it.

But being in the middle of town with cars behind you never know who could take your details and what they would try and report you for.

The last thing I'd want is the Police saying I was irresponsible and that being held on my file .

Andy

its a hard one, were you seen deliberately running it over then you have the chances some loon will attack you because of it, stop and pick it up you either get bitten or stuck with a fox cub till you can get somewhere quiet.

What you should do is stop give it a dose of tyre lever at the roadside suffering over job done, but you can't do that on the side of a London Road.

I had a muntjack I stopped for a while back, injured badly and the car that hit it stopped and called the RSPCA, they reckoned a couple of hours. I called the local keeper for the area who was away but said shoot it however the driver wouldn't have it. End result it sat at the roadside for 3 hours suffering for the RSPCA to take it to a vet and be put down. Its certainly not right and people need educating but your actions even sensible ones can be more agro than they are worth.

RSPCA are a waste of space that should be inhabited by decent people.

Quite agree! That's why you should call them. Use up some of their coffers that would otherwise be spent on anti propaganda.

Don't claim to have the animal under your control because they will then say it's your responsibility. Tell them the location and let them call a vet, who will charge them admirably.

You are no longer allowed to club an animal to death, not sure about driving over it deliberately, Jeremy Clarkson fashion.