Large calibre rifles approved for all quarry

Baldrick

Today's Shooting Times is carrying this article, indicating approval by the ACPO of FAC holders using large-calibre rifles for vermin: http://www.shootinguk.co.uk/news/368543/Ch...e_calibres.html

I would be interested to learn how this is applied in practice. It goes without saying that each Chief Constable will have his/her own interpretation of this recommendation, and in come counties, the ACPO's relaxing of the rules may not apply.

Am I right in thinking that the revised condition wording quoted by ST allows the use of any rifle for any quarry that the holder has authority to shoot? Does that circumvent the problems many Shots have had getting a .375 H&H conditioned for British deer?

Baldrick, ive just read the article a couple of times and you may well be right but i read it as those with larger caliber rifles already granted to shoot larger quarry only can now apply for a condition to shoot smaller stuff, it didnt mention granting certs for larger caliber rifles full stop, i may well be wrong and I hope so.

mikee

The way I read it is that it will allow you to shoot rabbits/crows/smaller legal species with your fox/deer calibre rifle without the condition specifically listing by species name. It wouldn't help you get your .375 cleared for deer in the first place. But you if you already had your .375 cleared for something else (boar maybe??) then I guess you could shoot deer with it.

so does that mean i can get a .50 cal for grey squirrels?

If you've got a .50 cal cleared for something larger then it means you can shoot squirrels. As per my earlier post, it won't help you get larger calibres cleared in the first place. This is more about allowing "stalking calibres" to be used for vermin/squirrels/crows etc. You will still need good reason to own said calibre in the first place (i.e. you need that calibre to shoot deer rather than wanting that calibre for vermin control).

If you've got a .50 cal cleared for something larger then it means you can shoot squirrels. As per my earlier post, it won't help you get larger calibres cleared in the first place. This is more about allowing "stalking calibres" to be used for vermin/squirrels/crows etc. You will still need good reason to own said calibre in the first place (i.e. you need that calibre to shoot deer rather than wanting that calibre for vermin control).

so 2000 yard shots on grey squirrels probably wouldnt be a good enough reason for a .50? :no:

“The (rifle / sound moderator / firearms / ammunition) shall be used for shooting (Named Principal Quarry Species) and any other lawful quarry, and for zeroing on ranges, on land deemed suitable by the chief officer of police for the area where the land is situated* and over which the holder has lawful authority to shoot.”

My take on that means that each FAO will use his judgement and ask you what 'lawful quarry' you intend to shoot with your 'large calibre'. Presumably if he doesn't think it appropriate he'll not add the condition. i.e. if you have a .50 calibre on your licence for shooting terrorists it's still unlikely you'll be granted the condition for foxes :no:

This was sparked off when the NGO wrote to the ACPO Firearms and Explosives Licensing Working Group earlier last year suggesting that those with larger stalking calibers should be able to request their fac's be conditioned to enable them to shoot lesser species.

This letter was discussed at the ACPO FEWG meeting of the 14 Feb 2007 where the proposal was accepted and set in motion.

The draft wording for the condition has been ratified and circulated to Police Chiefs & FLM's (Firearm Licensing Managers) for implimentation.

This means that if you have say a .308 for deer and your FLM has previously refused to allow you vermin you should now be able to send your fac in with the request that it is amended to the new condition permitting you to shoot fox and pest species.

Well done to the NGO.

My certificate allows me to shoot Deer, fox and vermin with my 6.5x55 and .308 and all my other rifles (including the .17hmr and .22rf) are listed for Fox, vermin and ground game.

I also have 12 Bore solid slug which according to my certificate has no restrictions what so ever :yes:

As I read it basically if you have a 308 or 30-06 for the condition of deer shooting, you may now use it for shooting fox, or even rabbits (aslong as your safe) even if you dont have fox as a listed quarry for your 308/30-06 :yes:

But and the big but, you still have to send your fac in for amendment and the final say will be with your licensing manager/chief constable. Hence the ACPO FEWG have issued a draft of the wording for this condition which must appear on your fac.

However, like all things fac this new guideline from the ACPO is just that a guideline and I guarantee some constabularies will ignore it. A postcode lottery again in the making me thinks.

Charlie