No referees

Hi I,m new to the world of shooting having held my SGC for just a couple of months now and now my wife wants to join in with her own SGC etc, The problem she has is there is no one suitable to countersign her photo and application form , rest of the forms etc is all done apart from this simple thing,She has friends who have known her for more than two years but are not suitable ie not teachers etc.

What do we do?

Many thanks.

Hi Thanks for the replies, The Boss one is out because i'm the boss!, I don't understand the the forged passport one could you explain that one please.The Doctor here charge £30 and can take up to 8 weeks to sign plus she has'nt see him for years.

Unlike SGC's, FAC's require referee's who know you - and your circumstances/family etc rather than professional people. A bank manager or solicitor might know you, but are they likely to know if you have a good relationship going on with those around you for example? I never understood why professionals are accepted for SGC's.

Anyone of good character can act as your FAC referee.

Hi Thanks for the replies, The Boss one is out because i'm the boss!, I don't understand the the forged passport one could you explain that one please.The Doctor here charge £30 and can take up to 8 weeks to sign plus she has'nt see him for years.

Look she either can or she can't.

It doesn't have to be "Professional People" to sign as referees for a FAC. You can even get your heighbours or friends to sign as referees as long as they are of good character and have known you for a minimum of 2 years. I know that this is a fact as I have just got mine and had a neighbour and the Captain of our Bowling Team act as referees for mine.

If in doubt give your FEO a quick call.

Hope this helps. :blush:

It doesn't have to be "Professional People" to sign as referees for a FAC. You can even get your heighbours or friends to sign as referees as long as they are of good character and have known you for a minimum of 2 years. I know that this is a fact as I have just got mine and had a neighbour and the Captain of our Bowling Team act as referees for mine.

If in doubt give your FEO a quick call.

Hope this helps. :good:

might be more help if you looked at the first post.

sweepy is right if someone asks for payment then they are no good.

phone you feo he might be more helpful than our lot.

I don't know where the idea came from that I was suggesting that you pay someone to sign as a referee, nowhere in my post did I or would I suggest such a thing which is plainly asking for trouble. When I answered the post I had missread it and was refering to a GAC application.

NEVER try to pay someone to act as a referee!!!!!

Hi thanks for all of your replies,We are still no closer to finding a suitable countersignatory,My wife has loads of friends who have known her well over two years but they are just everyday people who are not suitable(or antigun).

Thanks.

Hi thanks for all of your replies,We are still no closer to finding a suitable countersignatory,My wife has loads of friends who have known her well over two years but they are just everyday people who are not suitable(or antigun).

Thanks.

Watch our lips mate: Everyday people who know your family circumstances are the ones you want - unless they are dodgy.

I don't know where the idea came from that I was suggesting that you pay someone to sign as a referee, nowhere in my post did I or would I suggest such a thing which is plainly asking for trouble. When I answered the post I had missread it and was refering to a GAC application.

NEVER try to pay someone to act as a referee!!!!!

Correct, they are meant to be someone that knows you personally. A mate of mine is BA cabin crew and he signed my app. No problems.

Anyone "professional" ie not a muppet. A manager, boss, or even colleague can sign it. Ask your FEO before you get them to sign it though, to confirm they will be acceptable.

My FEO told me that they would rather have referees from people who know you well like friends or people you shoot with rather than you doctor that you haven't seen for years.

Paying for a referee is out as I am sure it says on the forms.

ok its not a FAC thats being talked about but a SGC for which in theory you're meant to have a certain standing as it says on the form, however at the list of occupations deemed suitable it says or person of similar standing which is your get out clause for using more people.

Ok so she doesn't know her doctor but surely she knows a teacher or someone who works for the government or is she chained to the sink all the time :oops:

I was in the same dilemma 6 months ago when I was applying for my SGC.

Doctor.. does not sign anything, not even for $$

Co-Workers... not been at my place of work for two years.

Running out of ideas, so called my local FEO and asked what to do, the answer was; it is now unnecessary to have a 'professional' counter sign as you may never have met say your Bank Manger or even your Doctor!

All they ask is it is signed by someone e.g. a Friend that has known you for 2 years or more (and of course has not been in trouble before)

So simply get one of your friends to sign, that what me and the wife did :oops: