Which Breed ?

Stamford

OK... I'm now finally winning the battle with the Mrs about getting a dog so now have to decide which one I should go for so now need some advice from a very knowledgable group people, ie you lot :lol:

I dont shoot everyday but would be a bonus if I could try and teach the dog to retreive, has to be good around young children, I dont have a huge house but I do have access to decent walks locally so no problem about exercising and most important, the Mrs would prefer minimum molting..... So, what do you guys recommend ? Ideally, I'd love a Springer but not sure if they fit the above criteria.

Help required please

Thanks

a dog is a dog,realy you can train any dog to retrieve,its just practice,yes a springer they are lovely dogs with family and working...REALY ITS UP TO YOU IN THE END,, my jack russell retrieves rabbits,not pigeons,she dosnt like the feathers.BUT SHE WAS BROUGHT UP ON RABBIT ONLY.good luck mate

One thing is for sure, you have plenty of choices.

I've got a GSP, great temperament, a good allrounder as a breed(not mine :lol: ), very short haired(helps with the moulting bit) but they are big(ish) and can be head strong and take years to grow up.

I had a Lab years ago which was the easiest thing in the world to train but again perhaps a bit big and a bit hairier. They are chewers too but otherwise they are great.

Springers can be excitable, easy(ish) to train. They have hairy feet = messy floors etc and they are quite long haired.

Cockers are the same really but both are great dogs.

I also have a Portuguese Podengo :lol: really (must post a pic on here because not many know what they are) They are used for hunting rabbits in Portugal and come in a long and a short coated version. Very intelligent, affectionate, easy to train. Mine picks up all the dogs dishes up after they have been fed and brings them to me or the wife. Took about 10 minutes to get her to do that and now you don't have to ask. The short coat is good from a shedding point of view and they are small <12ins

Sorry, getting carried away. I could go on but as I said there's lots of choices and it is yours in the end.

I've given you a few ideas and I'm sure you will get many more so good luck with the decision.

GH

a dog is a dog,realy you can train any dog to retrieve,its just practice,yes a springer they are lovely dogs with family and working...REALY ITS UP TO YOU IN THE END,, my jack russell retrieves rabbits,not pigeons,she dosnt like the feathers.BUT SHE WAS BROUGHT UP ON RABBIT ONLY.good luck mate

they'll retrieve but try a terrier on an injured pheasant of pigeon and see what happens :lol:

in the land of sensible retrievers a springer would be fine, a tad energetic in a normal sized house but will be ok, if you want predictable and boring you could buy a lab as they come half trained but its not quite the same as getting the kind of dog that you really want

Edited by al4x

I'm in a similar position although time is not quite right. I will be having either a cocker or a black lab. Now here's the situation:

I read alx4 message earlier today and thought "thats it a black lab it is" then .... a few hours later bruxie hill's comments arrive and i'm back to square one! Based on my previous experience (had a lab in my teens) and those of my friends i reckon its got to be a cocker or a lab!

But then again i may be biased.

Tight Lines

Aled

another vote for a springer.....

ours is 9 months old and round the house she is a springer with no spring very calm,potters about,just wants a bit of fuss every now and then but get her in the woods or by the lake and she's a different dog swims like a fish and covers the ground with speed and agility.

we got over the molting by restricting her to the kitchen and garden as a pup we stood by the doors into the dining room and hall and took charge of it by telling her back.now the doors can be left open all day and she will NOT go into the hall or dining room (my mates joke about the force field we got in the doorways).

training was a breeze with her (not last 2 weeks tho as she is having her first season)

i know lads with labs and to be honest they seem boring next to my springer just plodding along by your side not burning up much energy while the springer is doing 100mph and jumping fences and generally enjoying life.(going to get slated by the lablovers for that last comment)

hope this has confused you more

Edited by spudgun666

Go for a springer, you won't regret it.

Mine spends all day under my desk asleep. Yes they can be lairy but they soon settle into family life.

Oh and Mikee,

That saying should start "Some labs are born half trained" :hmm:

Hi folks. I have had both Springers & Labs. I have a lab at the mo and I would not change him for the world.

My nephew has a Springer pup, and its an absolute nutter. He has asked me to train it for him, but I would need to keep it for six months. Don't have the time or space.

Go for a Lab!

In the end you have to go for the breed which you want 100%, no sense in getting a pup and then perhaps regretting you're decision later down the line. I have had labs and springers, i currently have 2 springer dogs and a springer pup so you would think i'm a springer man through and through, but i'm not, but for 80% of my shooting a springer is the ideal choice, i was for getting another lab earlier in the year for wildfowling but have gone for another springer, they can be handful but not impossible for a novice to train, far from it!! Some day i will get off this fence and decide which breed i think is really the best!! Sorry i'm not much help but really as a good allrounder a springer is hard to beat no doubt about it!!!

I'm going to spend the day looking after my wifes freinds Springer just to see how the family get on but it definatley looks like thats the route I'll be going... As I said before, I've always favoured the Springer since I was a lad so it makes sense to pull the trigger... Just wish I'd done it sooner. If anyone knows of any in the South please let me know :good: