An evening to remember

sussex lad

I got an invite to shoot from a good friend last night.

We met up and 7pm with the intention to take a few rabbits and then try to clear a few fox cubs from the many dens he has on his land.

First of we set out with the rimfire's me my .22 and him his.17hmr.

It wasnt long before we had a good few in the bag and as the light was starting to go, we nipped back to the cars to grab a coffee and the centrefires both 6.5x55's :rolleyes:

We baited up a few area's with the rabbit we had shot and moved onto the other end of his permission to start working our way back into the wind.

As we rounded a small copse we saw a roe buck a good 400 yards infront with his head down feeding.

We quickly covered the first 100 yards using the cover we had and then very cautiously covererd the next 100 yards until he lifted his head and started to move so i dropped myself to the floor and got my crosshairs on him.

Almost straight away he gave me the perfect broadside shot so i took it...BANG.

He took one stumble/step and collapsed on the floor.I reloaded and waited, watching him through the scope for any movement.

Nothing! after a couple of minutes we took the long walk to where he was laying. The shot had hit him halfway up and just behind the front leg/shoulder.

We didnt have long before it would be dark so a quick gralloch and it was the long haul back to the cars with me carrying the buck...

A quick photo call before making our way home, me with a massive grin and my first Sussex Roe Buck in the bag :Nilly :Party

This morning i skinned him and removed the head and feet in preparation for my local butcher to butcher/pack it for me.

Didnt want to mess this up :good:???

The head looks ok to my novice eye so i'm going to mount it for the wall.

DSCN2886_edited-1.jpg

GEDC0098.jpg

GEDC0094.jpg

One very happy chappy B) :lol:

GEDC0097.jpg

And a massive thanks to Dan for the fantastic eveing and my first Sussex Roe Buck.

Nice one fella, you will never forget this one. Was it shot in sussex as it is very narrow in the width and this is typical of bucks from that area. A very nice trophy for your first roe buck, well done :rolleyes: .

Yes, it is a Sussex buck taken just outside Brighton.

Now searching the web to find the best and quickest way to clean and mount it.

Sounds like you had a great evening. Nice trophy too! I'm envoius but I prefer to shoot my deer with a camera (That does not mean that I am against shooting deer in any way) it's just my preference!

Well done mate! :good::good:

A sample of my "Deer Photos"

Edited by Frenchieboy