What would you do

Harrys Bird

IMO there are two questions, the first is should you shoot a pheasant with a .22 rifle and I think that would generally be considered "unsporting".

The second is, can you shoot pheasants that have been bred on neighbouring land and strayed onto land you have permission to shoot on.

If you have permission from the landowner, yes you can.

"I think you should ask your Farmer quite very clearly, if you have permission to shoot the pheasants.

A throwaway comment like, "you can shoot anything" is not good enough.

Farmers have to get on with their neighbours and are usually not keen to start unnecessary conflicts.

Don't find yourself "piggy in the middle" in a dispute, because you will be the one who loses out."

In a nutshell

I always filled in my FAC .22LR(when I had one) application with :FOR THE DESTRUCTION OF GROUND GAME AND VERMIN

One for the pot wont hurt and deads dead, rifle or shotgun.

Alan

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If it's an airgun, it's an absolute no no. You'll struggle to cleanly kill it.

Let me get this strait.....you think a .22 will struggle to penatrate a pheasent's skull and produce a cleen kill??? :good: Must be armour plated birds round your neck of the woods.....

More like, you are a snob (wanabe type) and think pheasents have some divine right to be driven :hmm:

If it's one for the pot, ask your farmer, "......can I shoot one for the pot?" IF he says "Yes" then, clunk one in the nut, be discreet and keep your mouth shut.......and ask the farmer if he wants one for himself(oven ready)

I seriously would not EVER shoot a pheasant if I was not on a driven shoot day.
:good:

What about a walked up rough shoot.

If you have permission i would take a bird or two for the pot, 22 rimfire we obviously do the job. Think about getting a shotgun and walking the hedgerows with the farmers son.

How does the keeper know if the birds are his, they could have been raised on your shoot by wild birds.

Do you think the keeper would be upset if birds from another shoot ended up on his game kart at the end of the day NO he would not give a monkeys.

walked up days are great for shooting pheasants and just as much fun as driven days however they are very different to waiting for them to stop so you can erradicate them like vermin with a rifle you don't have the correct conditions to use on them. A waste of a sporting bird,

ive shot a few with the rifles, and always for the pot. as much as i agree with the idea that its not sporting., my stomach says different. The birds i take must fly in from some distance, as i dont know of any close shoots. Just make sure you take it for the right reasons when doing so.

:oops: id rather see someone kill a pheasant cleanly and humanely for the pot than some of those "sporting" shots which ive seen and everyone is so fond of talking about

have to agree have seen ouite a few pheasants shot with a shotgun and still able to fly on to probably suffer a slow death,

don.t think to many would fly on after being shot with a .22 rimfire, although i am sure some one will come on to say different :good:

thanks for all your opinions etc but if the opportunity arises i will take 1 or 2 pheasants for the pot :good:

Fill your boots was gonna be my shout :good: ...and remember you can't shoot them 1 hr after dark,(59 minutes being ok of course :good: ).

Joking aside; what actual conditions would pheasants come under on your firearms cert. that would enable you to shoot them with a .22 rimfire ect, (an example and actual wording would be good).

ATB CZ452

Fill your boots was gonna be my shout :good: ...and remember you can't shoot them 1 hr after dark,(59 minutes being ok of course :good: ).

Joking aside; what actual conditions would pheasants come under on your firearms cert. that would enable you to shoot them with a .22 rimfire ect, (an example and actual wording would be good).

ATB CZ452

Game birds perhaps or "other legal quarry".

Id say its a NO NO. Also by the sounds of the gamekeeper I wouldnt, just picture shooting a pheasant with a .22... wounding it which then is picked up by the keeper.... From being a keeper myself I know for a fact that every dead pheasant found laying about gets a post mortem.

You do the math.

Alex

a well placed .22lr shot will drop one far better than a shotgun will

Id say its a NO NO. Also by the sounds of the gamekeeper I wouldnt, just picture shooting a pheasant with a .22... wounding it which then is picked up by the keeper.... From being a keeper myself I know for a fact that every dead pheasant found laying about gets a post mortem.

You do the math.

Alex

Funny thing is though most keepers i no after the season is all but over say shoot the sod's as they are the pricked birds or one's that will not fly :hmm:

And they don't want them around next year as they pull the young birds away ;)

The lads after one for the pot on land he has permission on where is the harm in that ?

Sounds like someone should learn some manners. Maybe you have a chip on your shoulder about your self-perceived 'class status'?

Manners are reserved for those who are due them, that excludes you Huxley. As for chip's on shoulders and class, well, I have no chip and you have no class........dose that make us even?

Hm, i use a SB 12G, SB .410 and a .22 air rifle for different purposes, however on my permissions there are various quarry, and the surrounding land is owned by 1 person but has several tenant farmers. whilst all the farmers see eye to eye most of the time they like any competing businesses have their clashes.

I gained my permissions through a contact who introduced me to the land, then the farmers etc, etc. After 18 months i have direct permissions, however i asked specific questions of each permission giver as to what i could & couldnt shoot.

Generally i can shoot whatever LEGAL game appears in front of me at the time of the shoot, for this i offered them free labour or driving etc as well as free services from my own trade. This seems to keep all happy & i never rock the boat or take sides with the neighbouring farmers. We also keep a watch over the land for fly tipping, fires, unauthorised users etc for the various farmers.

We have good permissions & in return we try to give a good return etc, seems to keep all happy, i never lose sight of the fact that it only takes 1 muck up to lose a permission either.

All areas & permissions are different with different landowners, tenants, keepers and so on,

i suppose its a variable for us all.

Best of luck

Robbie