do pigeons eat potato seeds

decoying mad

• 5 years later...

I have potato plants in two fields on my permission they are about 6 inches high

I haven't seen any pigeons on them yet.

They look green enough to be attractive to pigeons after all they seem to like young green sprouts/ Kale/ rape etc

Has any one had experience of decoying potatoes?

I have potato plants in two fields on my permission they are about 6 inches high

I haven't seen any pigeons on them yet.

They look green enough to be attractive to pigeons after all they seem to like young green sprouts/ Kale/ rape etc

Has any one had experience of decoying potatoes?

Not many on this forum will have decoyed potatoes.

As already said the only time you are likely to shoot any on a potato field is if they start feeding on weeds on the headland or once they are lifted if the field is left long enough to get a few frosts on them to soften them up and there is little other option for them , while they may be more attractive to geese and ducks don't get too excited , there are 1000s of acres of potato's grown around here and while some fields get a few geese on in the winter most have none .

We have shot birds in the winter when they are lifted and the frost starts to make them soft. It's a bit like sugar beet the size of the pieces they pick up can be huge and fill the crops.

same here shot birds on rotten spuds many times in the past not huge bags but a bit of shooting

I shoot over spuds. December onwards once the frost hits them. However, this happens because there is no rape grown in this part of the world worth talking about. Im not so sure how productive it would be in a rape area, but i guess the only way to find out is to keep watching it through the winter. If the birds really get settled, good bags can be taken off a spud field.

Oh! And no they dont bother with seed potatoes.

Edited by Dr D