wildfowling gloves?

kiffy

hi folks, i started wildfowling last year and love it, cant wait for september to get tits deep in mud again :)

got my gear sorted last year and am ok apart from one thing... gloves. i have a pair of deerunter ones which are comfortable and waterproof. apart from them not being warm they do have one failing in that when i take them off to do something my hands invariably get wet or at the very least damp and when i put the gloves back on i struggle as the inner liner is loose and my damp hands stick to the liner making them ill fitting and i end up messing around with the fit and take my eyes of the sky when im doing it

i know theres no such thing as the perfect glove (or perfect anything else for that matter) and compromises always have to be made but in an ideal world id like a glove thats comfortable to wear all day, warm, waterproof easy to get on and off with damp hands and although i dont mind paying for the right thing.. id prefer not to spend a fortune if i can avoid it... dont want much do i? :)

so im wondering what you chaps and guys would reccomend?

I like yourself, struggle with cold hands, and struggle to keep them warm, I've not done my hands any favours as I have Boxed for many years and not looked after my hands properly and now suffer quite bad in winter / damp weather so I have done a bit of research on various sites including extreme weather sports and everyone says that when it comes to keeping your hands warm "mittens" are by far the best!...cold air circulates individual wrapped fingers ie gloved ones and prevents them warming, where as, when they are placed inside a mitten this cannot happen, if you look at skiers, Artic explorers and the like you'll see that they all have mittens on usually connected around their neck with some cord so when you pull them off you dont end up dropping them...even rock climbers put their hands back inside mittens when they want to warm them back up!...so this season I'll take their advice and thats what I'm going to try, its easy enough just to pull the right hand mitten off to fire and then put it back on, hope this helps others.

best wishes....Dale.

I like yourself, struggle with cold hands, and struggle to keep them warm, I've not done my hands any favours as I have Boxed for many years and not looked after my hands properly and now suffer quite bad in winter / damp weather so I have done a bit of research on various sites including extreme weather sports and everyone says that when it comes to keeping your hands warm "mittens" are by far the best!...cold air circulates individual wrapped fingers ie gloved ones and prevents them warming, where as, when they are placed inside a mitten this cannot happen, if you look at skiers, Artic explorers and the like you'll see that they all have mittens on usually connected around their neck with some cord so when you pull them off you dont end up dropping them...even rock climbers put their hands back inside mittens when they want to warm them back up!...so this season I'll take their advice and thats what I'm going to try, its easy enough just to pull the right hand mitten off to fire and then put it back on, hope this helps others.

best wishes....Dale.

I just use thinsulate gloves with the fold back mitten area. They are cheap (obviously not waterproof) and do a good job of keeping my hands warm.

Agree totally, you just cannot shoot with gloves on. Hands in pockets with the hand warmers until something happens.

Where's the difference in pulling your hand out of a pocket or pulling it out of a mitten...milleseconds?...I have a couple of zippo hand warmers and I was told a useful tip last year by a hiking enthusiast!...he told me to extend the cord on the hand- warmer bag and hang it around your neck and down the front of your clothes next to your skin, that way you get all the advantage of the heat it generates and it never cools, where as, when its in your pocket the heat is lost until you put your hand back in, and constantly putting your hand in and out makes the pocket get cold each time, I did try it and it keeps you warm as toast in the coldest of conditions, I bought the second warmer to combat my hand problem.

best wishes...Dale.

I couldn't shoot evening flight on the flashes with my hands in my pockets, when the chance comes its often fleeting. I wear sealskin full fingered or Wool fingerless, the deerhunter ones are ok but I have gotten them stuck in the semi loading before now. I cant use full fingered loves with a double trigger gun

It depends on what wildfowling you are doing. If as Kent said you are evening flighting for Duck, the best you can do is gortex gloves that you can wear and trigger or put up with the cold. Sod's law anything else you will miss the shot.

However on a morning geese flight, I wear and have done for many years ex army tank Crew mittens. I wax mine and have had them for over 20 years. Almost everyone that has shot with me ends up getting a pair. When the geese are coming take them off. When you are waiting in the creek wear them they are very warm.

I couldn't shoot evening flight on the flashes with my hands in my pockets, when the chance comes its often fleeting. I wear sealskin full fingered or Wool fingerless, the deerhunter ones are ok but I have gotten them stuck in the semi loading before now. I cant use full fingered loves with a double trigger gun

i more often than not just sit with cold hands unless its really steady. my main gripe with wool fingerless is once their wet, your hands get even colder.

i more often than not just sit with cold hands unless its really steady. my main gripe with wool fingerless is once their wet, your hands get even colder.

actually true of acrylic but not real wool that gives off more heat when wet, I am all for a bit of muff though

Edited by kent

now thats a good idea.

Use seal skinz myself or fleece mitts depending on what am doing

When it's really cold and your sat around in gloves trying to remove one with your teeth I the heat of the moment is bloody painful when you bite your own fingers as you can't feel them properly.

The S-Boston hand warmer for me this season as last, it's just like the peacock or zippo one but has batteries to ignite it so can keep switching on and off as required.

Figgy

i bought a zippo near the end of last season, although i tested it out when i bought it and was impressed i never got around to using it but am pretty sure it'll see some use this year.. love the idea of a similar one that can be turned on and off, wish id seen it first