The great wellington debate

Tedex

Help needed , after owning 4 pairs of le chams in 2 years 2 pars of furry lined and 2 pairs of leather lined I'm giving them up, can any one recommend any good ones that have served them well, I do like the ones with a full length side zip as I'm getting a little tubbey round the middle for bending over fighting with wellys, I've been looking on the web all afternoon and I just don't know what to get.

Cheers all

Strange but I had the same problem with Le Cameaux and bought as above but I think it was Balmorals from Hunter - have really served me well for 4/5 years now and still going strong. Full length side gusset locked with a top clip so easier to get into and out of. Something like £90 when new.

The Le Chameaux ankle kept turning over on rough or frosty ground and gave me a few real problems - they are also floppy and bend at the ankle and are therefore a pain to put on - Hunters stand up on their own even after years of use, simple to get into and clip on.

Edit - The ones I have are neoprene lined and really quite warm but not 'broiling'.

Edited by Kes

They are a consumable item, forget brands. Frankly a Pair of wellie aint no complicated thing. I find a pair of neos from the Yorkshire trading company last just as long as chams , hunters etc. They all tear or puncture or big thorns and barbed wire

Edited by kent

They are a consumable item, forget brands. Frankly a Pair of wellie aint no complicated thing. I find a pair of neos from the Yorkshire trading company last just as long as chams , hunters etc. They all tear or puncture or big thorns and barbed wire

Sorry but despite your comment - they do all differ and at £100 or so consumable is a relative term - frankly I would rather not waste a £100 or maybe £200 (Le Chameaux) to consign them to the term 'consumable item' when its easy enough to find as brand that suits, as I did.

Stay clear of Muckboots for they are good but heavy and after a day in the field they weigh a ton.

I tend to use ex-military walking boots with chaps for dry days and for wet days Hunters. Be aware though Hunters have a mixed review as some of the newer ones are made in China and are ****.

Edited by NickB65

Sorry but despite your comment - they do all differ and at £100 or so consumable is a relative term - frankly I would rather not waste a £100 or maybe £200 (Le Chameaux) to consign them to the term 'consumable item' when its easy enough to find as brand that suits, as I did.

You think they last twice as long? because I wear them daily and no I am not getting fleased no more by branding on such things, this is the main reason they cost more, no real extra technology involved. My wife has had her neo hunters years but then again I bought a pair at the same time and mine lasted about two seasons like normal (hers only get worn odd times)

I've never owned Le Chameau wellies but have had Aigle which were very good; the contoured ankle can make them nice and snug. I have had a pair of Hunter Balmorals with neoprene lining for 4 seasons now (on special offer at J. Norris') and despite the lining wearing through at the achilles heel they are fine.

I don't wear wellies that much but have a pair of Aigle they are ok but the pile of the lining seems to go the wrong way and they pull my socks off :sad1: ! so i got some muck boots last winter as it was a bit damp and they have been great but could be a bit heavy for a long day walking about.

Thanks guys for all your input I leaving until the weekend then make a purchase , I used to live in my wellys but these days I do tend to wear alt berg walking boots and they are top gear , I was looking on bay last night and there was a brand that looked very much like le chameau called gumtree for £145 but I can't find any reviews as yet , we'll we have to let the debate run and see

Cheers guys

Strange but I had the same problem with Le Cameaux and bought as above but I think it was Balmorals from Hunter - have really served me well for 4/5 years now and still going strong. Full length side gusset locked with a top clip so easier to get into and out of. Something like £90 when new.

The Le Chameaux ankle kept turning over on rough or frosty ground and gave me a few real problems - they are also floppy and bend at the ankle and are therefore a pain to put on - Hunters stand up on their own even after years of use, simple to get into and clip on.

Edit - The ones I have are neoprene lined and really quite warm but not 'broiling'.

I wear hunters all the time now and normally get 2 to 3 seasons out of them, I do quite a lot of fowling on the marsh and with the neo lining in even in the snow and ice my feet never get cold...well worth the money at around £90.

Hunters Balmoral lasted 7 months before cracking around the ankles. £100+ wet feet, worn most days.

Seeland Camo's lasted 4 months before splitting at the crease where the foot bends above the toes.£60 ish wet feet, worn most days.

Dunlop green basic wellies £9 dry feet, still going 1 year on, not the most comfortable though, worn most days. (wear these with neoprene socks, £6)

Edited by Bazooka

Hunters Balmoral lasted 7 months before cracking around the ankles. £100+ wet feet, worn most days.

Seeland Camo's lasted 4 months before splitting at the crease where the foot bends above the toes.£60 ish wet feet, worn most days.

Dunlop green basic wellies £9 dry feet, still going 1 year on, not the most comfortable though, worn most days. (wear these with neoprene socks, £6)

I had the same problems with one pair of Balmorals I bought , the soles came away on both of them , I had them for 10 months and Uttings of Norwich changed them with no hassell .One of the longest lasting pairs I had were from the council the only downside was I couldn't really go on a shoot wearing them as they were bright Yellow .

Had my Aigle Prestige for a couple of years now, very comfortable, light, good grip on the sole and the ankle area feels good where as I found other boots were very loose around the ankle.

The rubber so far with reasonable care looks as good as new, supple and soft, and the leather lining is also still looking like new. I do use Zipeeze (spelling) but the zip has worked faultlessly, feels very sturdy yet super smooth when opening and closing.

For me these were the most comfortable of all the higher end boots I tried, though I did not try on the Le Cham's..... And though I don't know about the others, these are still hand made which hopefully means the quality will be better. I can't say how long they will last as these are the first pair I have owned, but so far looking very promising.

Cos

Edited by Cosd

• 4 weeks later...

After owning lots of different wellies upto the £50/£60 price bracket over the years and hardly getting a season out of any of them I finally bit the bullet and treated myself to a a more expensive pair last year.

I bought myself some aigle, very comfy, warm and still going strong, I don't think I will ever buy any other wellie in future.

Would definatly recomend Aigle to anyone want wellies.

You think they last twice as long? because I wear them daily and no I am not getting fleased no more by branding on such things, this is the main reason they cost more, no real extra technology involved. My wife has had her neo hunters years but then again I bought a pair at the same time and mine lasted about two seasons like normal (hers only get worn odd times)

We all speak from our experiences I'm sure. For Kent's sake only, My current Hunters are very solid, dont turn your ankles, cost less, and provide a better service. They cost half the price of my last pair of Chameaux and are the best wellies, including utilitarian I have ever had. I dont wear them everyday but who does ? Was it Foggy or Clegg or someone else in LoTSW?

Brands are all the same according to Kent but I would personally recommend Hunters.

For as long as I can remember I've never had a pair of wellies that cost more than £20. My current pair, roughly 3 years old, cost a tenner. I did splash out and buy a thermal lining though. When these go I'll get myself another pair of Derri boots. If I were to wear them everyday, all day, then I might consider splashing out but for the hour a day walking the dogs and the odd shoot they do me fine. I agree that they premium branded wellies might be more comfortable but I can get a good pair of Altberg boots that fit my needs for a similar price.