South Africa - professional hunting

spartan7510

You really have opened a can of worms ! i would imagine the majority of the hunters are from the good old USA , if they are not shooting something to hang on the wall

they are shooting each other. Just look at there hunting DVDs all hipe no respect for the quarry. its all macho.

Actually he has many EU clients as well, particularly from Finland, Germany, France....

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have no problem with legitimate shooting any species as long as they are not endangered and it is carried out humanely. I'm not sure if a bow on a hippo fits this criteria. However what I do find a bit obscene is the morons smiling for the photos with their so called trophy kill, I find that really bad taste and even naff. I can relate to a sportsman holding his silver trophy aloft and smiling from ear to ear and proud, so he should be because he has beaten others with similar skills and on that day is the best. But to pose over a dead animal you have just despatched I just don't get and feel there must be something seriously missing in that persons life, that he feels he has to prove himself. IMHO

So would the people that are showing concern over this thread shoot a big cat that was killing locals?

Personally? yes. And would hate to do it. But that is not sport hunting, that's necessary control. 4 bolts to kill a hippo is abhorrent and the difference between this and killing foxes is huge - as has already been pointed out. The IUCN listed lion as being 'vulnerable', due to steady population of 30% over the past 2 decades.Shooting them for a mantelpiece is not going to help that decrease. If it's all about proving your manhood, tell me why are they shooting lions? shouldn't they be shooting hippos only? and seriously, a giraffe? many people killed by giraffes these days?

I've worked in Namibia with big cats - mostly leopards and cheetahs - and the idea of killing such animals when there is no need is never going to appeal.

I have no problem with legitimate shooting any species as long as they are not endangered and it is carried out humanely. I'm not sure if a bow on a hippo fits this criteria. However what I do find a bit obscene is the morons smiling for the photos with their so called trophy kill, I find that really bad taste and even naff. I can relate to a sportsman holding his silver trophy aloft and smiling from ear to ear and proud, so he should be because he has beaten others with similar skills and on that day is the best. But to pose over a dead animal you have just despatched I just don't get and feel there must be something seriously missing in that persons life, that he feels he has to prove himself. IMHO

It's just a memento of an event. we do it every day in Sporting Pictures. Do you seriously believe that someone like pigeon controller who posts trophy pics prolifically has something wrong with him? I think he is just sharing great memories with people who can relate to it. This is no different.

It's just a memento of an event. we do it every day in Sporting Pictures. Do you seriously believe that someone like pigeon controller who posts trophy pics prolifically has something wrong with him? I think he is just sharing great memories with people who can relate to it. This is no different.

I get your point but I do think it is slightly different. In saying that sometimes I do find some of the photos on Pigeon Watch completely self indulgent. If someone posts a photo of their bag to show us what they have done, then that's up to them but to me not really necessary. I think having respect for our quarry is quite important and having them staged for self gratified photos is not really on.

How anyone can compare deer stalking or pigeon shooting to what these people are doing is beyond me. For a start I have never heard of anyone skinning and taking a deers head and leaving the carcass to waste. Also there are regulations in place regarding caliber to ensure a fast humane kill. Shooting a hippo 4 time with a bow is not humane in my eyes it's sick.

I get your point but I do think it is slightly different. In saying that sometimes I do find some of the photos on Pigeon Watch completely self indulgent. If someone posts a photo of their bag to show us what they have done, then that's up to them but to me not really necessary. I think having respect for our quarry is quite important and having them staged for self gratified photos is not really on.

I doubt the quarry cares much for respect when its life has just been extinguished. I find some replies on this thread very hypocritical but I suppose that's just PW through and through.

How anyone can compare deer stalking or pigeon shooting to what these people are doing is beyond me. For a start I have never heard of anyone skinning and taking a deers head and leaving the carcass to waste. Also there are regulations in place regarding caliber to ensure a fast humane kill. Shooting a hippo 4 time with a bow is not humane in my eyes it's sick.

The bow hunting is questionably humane in this instance, I have seen an elephant taken with one arrow, and sad to say another event where it took nearly 9 hits from 458win mags.....deployed by inexperienced national parks staff!

I just wanted to get something straight. .. it is Africa. ...I promise you, nothing is shot for trophy parts and the rest of the carcass meat just left. That entire animal is used, either by local communities, or by the hunting outfit who regularly supply local butcheries.

I have seen people assaulting each other with axes and knives in an effort to get meat off the site at downed big game.

There will be nothing left of that hippo, unless the PH decides to use some offal as croc bait!

The bow hunting is questionably humane in this instance, I have seen an elephant taken with one arrow, and sad to say another event where it took nearly 9 hits from 458win mags.....deployed by inexperienced national parks staff!

I just wanted to get something straight. .. it is Africa. ...I promise you, nothing is shot for trophy parts and the rest of the carcass meat just left. That entire animal is used, either by local communities, or by the hunting outfit who regularly supply local butcheries.

I have seen people assaulting each other with axes and knives in an effort to get meat off the site at downed big game.

There will be nothing left of that hippo, unless the PH decides to use some offal as croc bait!

Do they eat lion out there?

I assumed you were making a point that shooting lions was unreasonable because the meat wasn't consumed but if someone has paid good money to shoot it I would say it has realised as good a value as any other quarry.

It is not something I would participate in but each to there own. As for eating lion, it was a genuine question.

I guess the OP was making a sales pitch for a friend, so photos are going to appeal to the kind of person who wishes to shoot those animals. If it is legal, then it comes down to personal choice.

I choose to shoot certain animals in the UK.

I also choose ( on the whole) not to post photos of anything I have shot. In general, I see no point.

I shoot foxes but like to see a photo of a live fox and to watch them hunting, I am not that keen on seeing them as trophy shots. I admire them. For reasons I find hard to explain, photos of shot big cats pulls the heart-strings. I've worked in 4 African countries and know things are very different there. Perhaps I suffer from selective sentimentality syndrome, but that is my choice.

I guess the OP was making a sales pitch for a friend, so photos are going to appeal to the kind of person who wishes to shoot those animals. If it is legal, then it comes down to personal choice.

I choose to shoot certain animals in the UK.

I also choose ( on the whole) not to post photos of anything I have shot. In general, I see no point.

I shoot foxes but like to see a photo of a live fox and to watch them hunting, I am not that keen on seeing them as trophy shots. I admire them. For reasons I find hard to explain, photos of shot big cats pulls the heart-strings. I've worked in 4 African countries and know things are very different there. Perhaps I suffer from selective sentimentality syndrome, but that is my choice.

If you do you are not on your own. And I agree 100% with your view on posting photos. I don't either.

Do they eat lion out there?

Lion is eaten by several African tribes that I know of, and the famous African hunter F.C. Selous also ate it.

I never ate it, and am comfortable with the fact, the only ones that met their demise at my hands were livestock killers and potentially a man-eater in one case.