5 grand

fat_jay

Need a second car, looking to spend around 5 grand, I'm swaying toward a soft roader rav, vitara kind of thing, but what would you go for? Will do about 40 miles a day, so would be nice to get a reasonable MPG. Are they all at the higher end of road tax? How about a freelander? I know the older ones have reliability issues, is this right through the range??

What to do!

Guest Mick.j

May be you should make a list of NEED and not NEED. That would at least give you an idea of what YOU need. Thus would eliminate the ones NOT suitable. You could then narrow the ones left down to a select few, and go from there. Everyone will give the - i've got xyz its brilliant

Have you considered The Suzuki grand vitara 1.9 DDIS Approx 38 -40 mpg

decent off road[/quote

Go for the old shape with the pug engine,the new shape is Renault I was told and it's rubbish according to a mate who had one.He got shot as it cost him £3k in 12 mths ,Loads of the new shape about cheap for a reason.

Edited by Davyo

Jay ,you should go and have a look at East Anglian car auctions at Wyndham . You will be surprised what you can buy for five grand .

Harnser

damn right ...a lot of stuff there are "snatch backs"........mate of mine in Lingwood has had a couple of real bargins there,,,kept them for a year and sold em for more than he paid for them at the auction !!

damn right ...a lot of stuff there are "snatch backs"........mate of mine in Lingwood has had a couple of real bargins there,,,kept them for a year and sold em for more than he paid for them at the auction !!

Very true I bought a Ransomes triple cutter ride from the last machinery sale, only done 1000 hours runs like a dream only cost me £950

Have you considered The Suzuki grand vitara 1.9 DDIS Approx 38 -40 mpg

decent off road[/quote

Go for the old shape with the pug engine,the new shape is Renault I was told and it's rubbish according to a mate who had one.He got shot as it cost him £3k in 12 mths ,Loads of the new shape about cheap for a reason.

Theres a very old saying and it goes like this "believe half of what you hear all all of what you see"

Having been in one used by a north wales hill farmer it goes anywhere up hill and through anything ,previously used a terrano which was abused and a toyota hilux which was seriously abused and rotted .I trust the farmers opinion as he kills 4x4s

Theres a very old saying and it goes like this "believe half of what you hear all all of what you see"

Having been in one used by a north wales hill farmer it goes anywhere up hill and through anything ,previously used a terrano which was abused and a toyota hilux which was seriously abused and rotted .I trust the farmers opinion as he kills 4x4s

"believe half of what you hear all all of what you see" :hmm: my mate always says don't believe anything you hear and only half what you see :lol:

Harnser

Tut tut--- living in good old Naaaarfuk you should know it's Wymondham although your spelling is more true to it's pronunciation.

Sorry, couldn't see this injustice to my old stomping ground go unaddressed !!!!

Well it's not far from cossy .

Harnser

Twas the summer of 1980 when we moved up from the South.

Blinking heck, what was the builder saying about the ruf and the spark going on about the Loights!!!

Soon picked the lingo up...... It's the place we wish to move back too when/ if we sell our current place

• 2 weeks later...

Do you really need a 4x4? If so, save up and buy a real one. If not you will get much more for your dosh buying a normal car. Don't know why folks buy softroaders.

If you need a posy alley wheeled beast to prove your man hood or pull a van then spend the dosh on that otherwise get a decent on roader and buy a shooting truck that you can love but no enough to run it down a track with branches scratching down the sides. I am a recent convert to the 'extra motor' brigade as a mate was selling his old rav4, 99 plate but fully serviced and mot'd for £500 quid. I put some decent tyres on it and so far its amazed me were it will go and doubles as a luxury compartment of a pigeon hide, deer collection vehicle and general place of escape. On the other hand a mate has just sold his old disco, we had loads of fun in that and there was usually deer blood running out of the back, the windows would go up and down on their own as apparently a mouse had chewed some of the wiring then he had a mid life crisis and bought a brand spanking top of the range ford ranger. Now he won't even go far enough away from it in case a bird dumps on it let alone go off road, its even been rumoured that he just stares through Sainsbury's window checking its not hit by a stray trolley while his missus does the shopping.

I've been running a Mk1 (1999) CRV for the last 11 years. Over that time it's had nothing done to it other than servicing and consumables such as tyres, exhaust, battery, bushes. I've never even put any oil in it as it just doesn't use any between services.

Off-road ability is limited by the part-time 4 wheel drive system and by lack of ground clearance so don't try following a Defender, it'll go most places but you have to think about how to get it there.

Biggest downside is thirst - mine's an auto and typical mpg is 27 or 28. I think I've only ever achieved 30mpg twice.

I've been running a Mk1 (1999) CRV for the last 11 years. Over that time it's had nothing done to it other than servicing and consumables such as tyres, exhaust, battery, bushes. I've never even put any oil in it as it just doesn't use any between services.

Off-road ability is limited by the part-time 4 wheel drive system and by lack of ground clearance so don't try following a Defender, it'll go most places but you have to think about how to get it there.

Biggest downside is thirst - mine's an auto and typical mpg is 27 or 28. I think I've only ever achieved 30mpg twice.

Hmm, interesting. Thanks for the info, how many miles have you done in it out of interest?