Rooks.

snarepeg

Did the rooks today, finished up with about a 100, between 3 of us using 22 rim fire.

That's good going mate well done :good: Was you shooting branchers ?

Im out myself Monday/Tuesday,Farmer has been on the phone reporting big numbers now he's drilled his fields :yes: so fingers crossed its a good day :good: BB

First light start with the .410 Hushpower,then changing over to the 12g semi :good: just to keep the local residents happy :good: BB

Edited by Bluebarrels

Went out today hoping for a good day as i've seen the numbers building on some peas that were sown in a narrow field last week. I arrived to find about 100 too 150 feeding and a camp site had sprung up over night along side the peas, so no shooting for me :no:

I hope not fruity - firing a .22rf up into trees is asking for trouble.

I did wonder that myself :rolleyes: but did not like to ask :whistling: BB

Normally the flighting adult birds (parents) are shot using a shotgun and the Branchers taken using a normal powered air rifle :good: BB

Edited by Bluebarrels

They were indeed .....in the 1880's and were out of use by 1945. If you think it's wise to shoot .22lr upwards then be my guest, but in a modern world where much of the countryside has been built on it cannot be too often that you can be sure no one is within range of the diminutive .22 as it falls from the sky.

Been shooting this rookery 50 years with rim fire, branches only.

There is a lot of open space around and the rounds are falling onto farmland that we shoot.

Appreciate your concern for local rookerys / churchyard stuff etc but this one is good to go on rim fire.

Been shooting this rookery 50 years with rim fire, branches only.

There is a lot of open space around and the rounds are falling onto farmland that we shoot.

Appreciate your concern for local rookerys / churchyard stuff etc but this one is good to go on rim fire.

Good for you; that's how we do it also. We had a go at thinning numbers locally last week, but due to criticism from some PW'ers I no longer post about it.

If the location is ok for it, there's plenty of low energy rounds available for the .22, I've even used the CB caps with a 16 grain bullet @ around 28 ft lbs. similar to fac air, but not as accurate beyond twenty yards or so, but that's enough in trees usually anyway.

Good for you; that's how we do it also. We had a go at thinning numbers locally last week, but due to criticism from some PW'ers I no longer post about it.

[/quote

Agreed, everyone to their own. Never shot branches with shot gun, don't intend starting now.

37 this morning in a very difficult rookery of Scots Pine trees with a bottom canopy of 10ft high plus elder trees just coming into leaf. Very difficult to get a clear shot and equally difficult to get a clear shot and a steady on a tree trunk. Still the farmer was pleased and even although I was shooting with .22 rimfire he gave me a couple of boxes of 12 bore cartridges.

Blackpowder

37 this morning in a very difficult rookery of Scots Pine trees with a bottom canopy of 10ft high plus elder trees just coming into leaf. Very difficult to get a clear shot and equally difficult to get a clear shot and a steady on a tree trunk. Still the farmer was pleased and even although I was shooting with .22 rimfire he gave me a couple of boxes of 12 bore cartridges.

Blackpowder

:good:

Just the thought of shooting a .22LR upwards scares the life out of me!! Do you have 1 mile clear all round? Of course there are .22 shorts and "quiet" subsonic (710 ft/sec) rounds available which would reduce the problem but I have found that if something CAN go wrong, eventually it will!!

Take care Gents!!

I think the view that .22LR should never be fired into trees is flawed. It all depends on the wood, the angles, the location etc. My view is we're Section 1 FAC holders and should take that repsonsiblity very seriously, if we don't we can kill someone, damage property and give shooting a bad name, let alone put their certificate at risk.

It's up to the holder to make sure they follow the safety protocols at all times an never think a unsafe shot is the right thing to do.

Jim

I just can't see why we need to use a 22lr to shoot rooks. Local to me someone uses a hmr too.

I use an air rifle and have done for 20 years in the same rookery . 20-80 a time we take with no worries.

I have most calibers of gun and still pick the air rifle as I've yet to shoot over 40 yards in a rookery .

I'm finding now that most farmers are asking me to leave the rooks alone