Dog chews for cleaning teeth

Royboy

Hello, I've had my dog to the vet for a check up and he's said my sprinters teeth arnt the best and gums a bit swollen and she will have to have them cleansed at the vet , now I find this hard to believe because last year he said they was in perfect condition. Before going to extreme levels I would like to try a good chew that will help clean them ? Cheers

Get gammon haugh, strip gammon off raw bones, use gammon for split pea and ham soup, give raw bones to dog.

Teeth cleaned and large pot of soup for less than a £5.

Shop bought chews are worthless in the scheme of things.

A raw bone once a fortnight will keep teeth clean however any remaining plaque can be removed with dentists pick by levering it off at edges just as a dentist does to you.

Edited by Stonepark

Get gammon haugh, strip gammon off raw bones, use gammon for split pea and ham soup, give raw bones to dog.

Teeth cleaned and large pot of soup for less than a £5.

Shop bought chews are worthless in the scheme of things.

A raw bone once a fortnight will keep teeth clean however any remaining plaque can be removed with dentists pick by levering it off at edges just as a dentist does to you.

Cheers mate, I'll try a bone, is it chicken bones they can get splinters off ?

Cheers mate, I'll try a bone, is it chicken bones they can get splinters off ?

Chicken bones only splinter only if they are cooked. I never give cooked or smoked bones from any animal to my dog.

Ideally (They say) you shouldn't give a dog a weight bearing bone from a animal larger than itself as the bone is more dense and can cause fractures of teeth etc...

I tend to give my dog 'flat bones' rather than 'long bones' - being that their surface is more pitted and weird shapes, they often hold a little meat - making it more fun for my dog.

I buy all my meat from the butcher and he'll often give me a bag of bones which he would otherwise bin, I usually get beef vertebrae, (Lola loves these as they have some meat in places and a funny shape), lamb/beef ribs. He doesn't charge me for these if I am buying something in the shop so this is good for me.

Edited by Mentalmac

Avoid all cooked bones and larger bird bones (main leg and wing bones as they can split into razor shards) and large limb beef bones as too big/dense.

My springer takes about 10-15 min to consume a stripped hough bone and needs poops about 4 hours later and 8 hours later (solid poop which also exercises anal glands) as it passes through.

I have tried all sorts of different dental chews without much success in keeping the teeth clean. Got a few Vet Dental bills at £300 a go.

I buy frozen raw beef leg bones from our local butcher now at £150 a pack of 3.

I defrost them and cook them on at 150C in the oven low heat for a couple of hours, as fed raw they go off very quickly.

Ours have got beautiful clean teeth now. :)

Bones....nope not a good idea can make the dog very sick indeed!!....do them yourself or try the denti stick from pedigree sort my bitch rite out there the ones with antiseptic stuff in them!

Mine were on Denti Sticks when I got 2 lots of £300 Vets Dental bill to clean the plaque off their teeth.

Another good tooth cleaner I have used in the past was a powder you mixed in the food called " Plaque Off ".

Don't know how it works but it does and keeps their teeth clean if you don't want to use bones.

I use Plaque Off and both mine have never had any need for cleaning at the vet. It's a powdered seaweed that creates an enzyme in their mouth that acts against plaque. They also get 1/2 a large dentastix at night, but that's a treat more than anything else, given how quickly they eat them i dont believe it does much good, but they enjoy it.

AB

Bones....nope not a good idea can make the dog very sick indeed!!....do them yourself or try the denti stick from pedigree sort my bitch rite out there the ones with antiseptic stuff in them!

How is a dog eating its natural diet {meat offal and bones) and that they are evolved to eat, not a good idea?

Yet feeding a dog non-natural wheat based food and manmade chemicals (antiseptic) is a good idea?

Hello, I've had my dog to the vet for a check up and he's said my sprinters teeth arnt the best and gums a bit swollen and she will have to have them cleansed at the vet , now I find this hard to believe because last year he said they was in perfect condition. Before going to extreme levels I would like to try a good chew that will help clean them ? Cheers

Try fish skin cubes for dogs off of the net, teeth clean and lots of Omega 3.

• 2 months later...

• if you want your dogs to have a long and healthy life you should feed them on raw meat and bones its there natural diet and one which there stomach is designed for, stonepark is spot on and raw bones will keep teeth clean and healthy (wild dogs and wolves have never get cancer)..

I've often thought about feeding raw but not sure if id have space to store it or the time to go out every day and get it.

How do you go about it and what do you feed them ?