Metropolitan Police - Woman Commissioner

kaunda

If we see the same personal arguments that the same members keep sparking up on every thread relating to the police, the easiest solution for everybody will be some enforced time away from the forum for those involved.

Those concerned were asked, asked again and then told to take the personal issues to personal messages on the last thread that got locked because of it.

We arent going to do any more asking or telling. Fair warning.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't envy her the job, its going to be 1% policing and 99% accountancy. She will have to implement massive cuts when there is nothing left to cut and morale is through the floor. She's going to need a magic wand and a good one.

She is on a lose/lose ticket, what she has to do can't be done and when it fails she will get the blame

Personally I wouldn't want it whatever the salary. To be honest I would think there weren't many candidates fighting over the job, it really is a poison chalice.

A bit like being England Manager, you are just on a hiding to nothing.

She is always going to be tainted by the C de M episode, she knows that. Either she has a very thick skin or a massive ego. How very politically correct of our labour mayor to appoint a woman, and a lesbian to boot, I hope this is not just box ticking for her sake.

I really don't think she realises what she has taken on

Edited by Vince Green

when i see people openly smoking dope at notting hill carnival, putting garlands over the police, and dancing with them and generally seeing them get belittled, on the advice of their superiors, then I know the show is being run by a load of non-experts.

I would be looking at ex-military to take on these big posts,

So how would you police the Notting Hill Carnival?

2 Para, Royal Artillery and drone strikes?

Personally I prefer things run by women.

These are mainly generalisations but I find that Companies run by women seem to be more considerate to employees on many issues, Mrs May is doing a much better job with Brexit than "call me Dave" ever would, women are generally better pilots, and my house / finances / kids / general wellbeing etc are all far better off than they would be if I was running them.

I'm regularly informed by SWMBO that my cricket bat solution to many issues is not good in politics or many other scenarios. Shame.

So how would you police the Notting Hill Carnival?

2 Para, Royal Artillery and drone strikes?

I wouldn't police it, I would have banned it years ago, the police detest it, its an embarrassment to London.

It is also a total nightmare for the residents.

p.s I dident know she was lesbian until I read one of the posts above, not that I am bothered.

Edited by wandringstar

I wouldn't police it, I would have banned it years ago, the police detest it, its an embarrassment to London.

It is also a total nightmare for the residents.

p.s I dident know she was lesbian until I read one of the posts above, not that I am bothered.

I'm sure the police 'detest' football matches too, would you ban them? What about Glastonbury, which has over double the amount of arrests pro rata? Ban it?

Should we ban everything we don't like, just because it may be difficult to police... should we ban Trumps visit 'cos that's going to be a massive police operation?

Why does her being a lesbian make any difference?

Personally I prefer things run by women.

These are mainly generalisations but I find that Companies run by women seem to be more considerate to employees on many issues, Mrs May is doing a much better job with Brexit than "call me Dave" ever would, women are generally better pilots, and my house / finances / kids / general wellbeing etc are all far better off than they would be if I was running them.

I'm regularly informed by SWMBO that my cricket bat solution to many issues is not good in politics or many other scenarios. Shame.

:lol::lol: And have to agree!

It outgrew London 30 years ago, cant remember the last time people were stabbed at Glastonbury, its in the middle of a field away from residents, a football match is a few hours, football is policed correctly and trouble is seldom nowadays, and the revenue it generates for the services it requires is phenomenal, it also pays its own police bill.

The notting hill carnival is over 3 days, as I say I look at it and see an embarrassment.

Regarding trump, I would say hosting the leader of the free world and its associated cost, is one million times more important than a crime infested fancy dress party that costs millions and has many casualties.

In the mid 1990's a man called Sir John Harvey-Jones was asked as part of a TV series to look into the management of South Yorkshire Police. He had been head of ICI a massive multi-national company so he knew a thing or two about policing. His findings are published in a book that I still have. One of his recommendations was the criminal files should not be prepared by the police officers who the public expect to be out on the beat or investigating other offences. He argued that a skilled beat officer or detective shouldn't be typing the same details on fifteen or sixteen pages required to put a file together or typing out long statements and summaries. That was around 1993.

Jut before I retired in 2011 the same force had just brought out an automated file completion system that inserted those details in the ever increasing number of pieces or paper required for a criminal file. Why the delay? Because the police don't have the budget that private companies have and so cannot invest in such things. Add to that the complexity of having to install systems and computer programs that have to be 100% secure yet easily accessible to staff and the enormous diversity of policing from PSCOs visiting schools to armed response units, dogs, horses, vehicles, buildings, helicopters, etc, etc and you by now ought to be able to see that being in charge of a police force isn't the cake walk that you might have thought that it was. Especially now as the recent cuts in civilian staff mean that many of the mundane, non front line jobs are again being done by police officers.

I am the first to agree that the people currently in charge of British police forces aren't up to the job. A lot of that is down to the nepotism in the police in respect of promotion. But putting an ex-military person or a politician in charge ain't the answer. What the police need are business people running the organisation and senior police officers purely dealing with the law side of things.

Scary how many women in top jobs now - what was all that carp about gender inequality?? I don't see an issue with her salary - it's one hell of a job policing that box of frogs and compare her money to top sportsmen and indeed banking leaders. Some take home more in a week than she earns in a year. I suspect also she puts in a few hours. She will also be watched and criticised for every action or decision she makes. Did I read also she has responsibility for all the 999 services?

Why does her being a lesbian make any difference?

:lol::lol: And have to agree!

I am not bothered about her sexuality it was a dig at the labour party's apparent policy of promoting equality by unduly favouring any sort of minority to the detriment of other considerations.

You always have to wonder

Edited by Vince Green

In the mid 1990's a man called Sir John Harvey-Jones was asked as part of a TV series to look into the management of South Yorkshire Police. He had been head of ICI a massive multi-national company so he knew a thing or two about policing. His findings are published in a book that I still have. One of his recommendations was the criminal files should not be prepared by the police officers who the public expect to be out on the beat or investigating other offences. He argued that a skilled beat officer or detective shouldn't be typing the same details on fifteen or sixteen pages required to put a file together or typing out long statements and summaries. That was around 1993.

Jut before I retired in 2011 the same force had just brought out an automated file completion system that inserted those details in the ever increasing number of pieces or paper required for a criminal file. Why the delay? Because the police don't have the budget that private companies have and so cannot invest in such things. Add to that the complexity of having to install systems and computer programs that have to be 100% secure yet easily accessible to staff and the enormous diversity of policing from PSCOs visiting schools to armed response units, dogs, horses, vehicles, buildings, helicopters, etc, etc and you by now ought to be able to see that being in charge of a police force isn't the cake walk that you might have thought that it was. Especially now as the recent cuts in civilian staff mean that many of the mundane, non front line jobs are again being done by police officers.

I am the first to agree that the people currently in charge of British police forces aren't up to the job. A lot of that is down to the nepotism in the police in respect of promotion. But putting an ex-military person or a politician in charge ain't the answer. What the police need are business people running the organisation and senior police officers purely dealing with the law side of things.

well you put it better than me, I like your idea about business people running things, you are essentially saying, privatise aspects of the force, and let police do what they were meant to do as Robert peeler intended. :good:

Scary how many women in top jobs now - what was all that carp about gender inequality?? I don't see an issue with her salary - it's one hell of a job policing that box of frogs and compare her money to top sportsmen and indeed banking leaders. Some take home more in a week than she earns in a year. I suspect also she puts in a few hours. She will also be watched and criticised for every action or decision she makes. Did I read also she has responsibility for all the 999 services?

Norfolk dumpling, do you feel she should be on more than the prime minister? I certainly don't.

I am not bothered about her sexuality it was a dig at the labour party's apparent policy of promoting equality by unduly favouring any sort of minority to the detriment of other considerations.

i agree on that, all female shortlists etc, Maggie didn't need one when she was elected. Don't start me on Harriet Harperson..

Before you complain about "all those women in top jobs", take a look at the actual proportion as a whole - in 2015, only 20% of directors of FTSE 100 companies were women and only 2.4% were CEO of a FTSE 500 company. For a woman to be appointed, she generally has to be significantly better than any of the men who are considered.

It's called "positive discrimination" and is used throughout the public sector, it's an equality numbers game, achieved by promoting "underrepresented groups" irrespective of ability to do the job........a numbers game, designed to demonstrate the public sector are an "equal opportunities employer"

I don't envy her the job, its going to be 1% policing and 99% accountancy. She will have to implement massive cuts when there is nothing left to cut and morale is through the floor. She's going to need a magic wand and a good one.

She is on a lose/lose ticket, what she has to do can't be done and when it fails she will get the blame

Personally I wouldn't want it whatever the salary. To be honest I would think there weren't many candidates fighting over the job, it really is a poison chalice.

A bit like being England Manager, you are just on a hiding to nothing.

She is always going to be tainted by the C de M episode, she knows that. Either she has a very thick skin or a massive ego. How very politically correct of our labour mayor to appoint a woman, and a lesbian to boot, I hope this is not just box ticking for her sake.

I really don't think she realises what she has taken on

If we really believe these people care about "doing the job" I think we are deluded, it will be just another stepping stone to personal wealth, power and prevelige......whether she is effective or useless she will still get a very substantial salary every month plus perks, and if useless, after a couple of years she will undoutedly retire on a massive, probably "final salary" pension...and in due course, be elevated to the House of Lords, picking up £300 per day (plus other benefits/perks) for signing an attendance book!

If we really believe these people care about "doing the job" I think we are deluded, it will be just another stepping stone to personal wealth, power and prevelige......

There are very few of those people about. Sadly, the above quote is all too accurate.

I don't think anyone in public office should earn more than the Prime Minister. Before anyone says that the best people will jump ship and go into the private sector, where they could earn more - I would point out that the current salaries haven't necessarily given us the best people in the job.

As for man or woman - why should that be a factor - best person for the job every time.

As for man or woman - why should that be a factor - best person for the job every time.

As long as its not a factor that's OK, I still remember Blair's Babes and the all woman shortlists.

I remember my oldest son being told at a careers fair that the Met Police were only considering applications from members of ethnic minorities at that time.

I also remember Brent Council's bizarre positive discrimination policies in the 80s.

you have to admit, they have form

There are very few of those people about. Sadly, the above quote is all too accurate.

I don't think anyone in public office should earn more than the Prime Minister. Before anyone says that the best people will jump ship and go into the private sector, where they could earn more - I would point out that the current salaries haven't necessarily given us the best people in the job.

Would agree with this,gay, straight, male, female, trans, who cares as long as it's the right person for the job.

In my experience a high proportion of the people in high public office have been promoted beyond their abilities, through patronage, or some other way unconnected to being the best person for the job!

As for them leaving for a job in the private sector?.........they wouldn't last five minutes if they had to do a proper job and be accountable for their performance!

Management in the public sector is filled with frightened, over-promoted, incompetent bullies, senior managers promote people from below not on ability to "do the job" but those who are no threat to them, will do anything (with a capital A) they are instructed, and will take the flack for their boss when anything goes wrong!......anyone with integrity, and half a brain will never "get on" it's the same in politics....it is perpetual problem that will never change because they run the country and/or are in control, and will always protect themselves, their power and their own interests.

Vince - I cannot and will not argue that it goes on, unless someone can convince me that Diane Abbott is as brilliant as she appears to think she is.

She is definitely the best example of somebody who has made a career out of being the token black woman in the Labour Party.

A good friend of mine for many years was just about the first black man in the Met Police, he wasn't the first to join but he was the first to stay. He hated it because whenever anything ceremonial was going on he was always put right in the middle of the front row. For example, he was put on the steps of the cathederal when Charles and Di got married.

He knew the score and despised them for it. He was actually a very clever and capable officer but he never sought promotion because he knew how it would be seen if he got it

Edited by Vince Green

London fire brigade recently appointed their first female chief officer as well.

Funny, we have one too?

And, FWIW my very personal opinion as to why Positive Discrimination is so wrong is that we do not get the best of the whole crop, just a small proportion of the politically desired targeted crop?

Not truly giving the best of all availability?

Edited by old man

Vince - I cannot and will not argue that it goes on, unless someone can convince me that Diane Abbott is as brilliant as she appears to think she is.

I'd take a lot of convincing on that subject, there isn't enough convincing in the world that would make me believe that. She talks in circles and is a hypocrite.