GWP NEEDS FATTING UP ?

Bakers complete ,but he will only eat so much of that(around what i normally give him) and then doesn't want anymore ,i just want to know what things people feed there dogs to get a good bit of weight on them ie anything? ,the reason being he is a kenneled dog and he hasn't been eating properly since he got his bite and has been in the house the past two weeks ,so before i put him back outside i want to help him gain weight, one so i know he will be ok in the cold and two so i can get him out the bloody house!!!

If you put yourself in the position of the animal and you were suffering from an injury and you felt really ill. Would you (A) like the same food for every meal ? And (B) would you choose to be inside in the warm with a bit of comfort or would you choose to be out in a kennel outside in the cold & damp with the wind blowing? I know all of the dogs that I have had have liked to get in around the fire and with the spate of dog napping that is so common now my spaniels are inside out of harms way.

In answer to the question about food, a varied diet with plenty of Protein rich food and not so much of the cereal based dry food. Some veg in amongst it wouldn’t go amiss.

If you put yourself in the position of the animal and you were suffering from an injury and you felt really ill. Would you (A) like the same food for every meal ? And (B) would you choose to be inside in the warm with a bit of comfort or would you choose to be out in a kennel outside in the cold & damp with the wind blowing? I know all of the dogs that I have had have liked to get in around the fire and with the spate of dog napping that is so common now my spaniels are inside out of harms way.

In answer to the question about food, a varied diet with plenty of Protein rich food and not so much of the cereal based dry food. Some veg in amongst it wouldn’t go amiss.

No kennel a dog will be in should ever be cold . damp or windy so why even say it when you know its untrue ? :/

You need to look at this in context, the OP was wanting to put the dog out again once recoverd. The critisism he then got was totaly unjustified. It is not kinder to keep working dogs indoors its just the owners feel better about it, reason is they phyically adapt to the conditions they re mostly kept in. Kenneled dogs need not and should not be exposed to the eliments as you describe.

Keeping a sick dog indoors is no bad thing as calories are used more at lower tempratures

Vary the food and try some wet food with it. Mine is on dr johns gold and does well on it. Kenneled or not is all down to owners choice, mine is sprawled in front of the log burner at the moment and contrary to some opinions won't bat an eyelid about being outside beating all day tomorrow

you do not love your dog like you should do you? Out the bloody house!! Take a look at yourself!!

Get a grip he is a kenneled working dog that's what he serves his purpose for nothing else HE IS NOT A PET !!!!! ALSO DON'T TELL ME WHAT I SHOULD AND SHOULDN'T DO OK :mad: ,also it is not good to keep him indoors because he has always been outside and he doesn't like the central heating he is far too warm ,so if anything i am looking after his welfare more than what YOU think !!!! :mad: :mad:. ANYHOW CAN YOU ANSWER THE QUESTION :sneaky2:

Try donner kebabs. Work for my ex. Ohh,that kind of dog

:good: :good: :good:

You saying anyone who keeps a dog outside doesn't love their animals?

I KNOW WHAT AN IDIOT EHH :good:

CSJ CP XTRA mixed with CP 21 at 50% ratio, fed twice a day - I have just used it on 2 rescue GWPs that came in to me and they have put weight on in a nice steady controlled way - both now look really good.

Mike

:good: :good:

You need to look at this in context, the OP was wanting to put the dog out again once recoverd. The critisism he then got was totaly unjustified. It is not kinder to keep working dogs indoors its just the owners feel better about it, reason is they phyically adapt to the conditions they re mostly kept in. Kenneled dogs need not and should not be exposed to the eliments as you describe.

Keeping a sick dog indoors is no bad thing as calories are used more at lower tempratures

Thank you for your well justified comment some people just don't get it :good: :good:

Vary the food and try some wet food with it. Mine is on dr johns gold and does well on it. Kenneled or not is all down to owners choice, mine is sprawled in front of the log burner at the moment and contrary to some opinions won't bat an eyelid about being outside beating all day tomorrow

lol :good: :good: each to there own its what they are used to ,i certainly don't have a problem with people who keep there dogs inside my dad has kept his springes in his house all there life's but my house is just not big enough for a GWP :lol: he would be trying to retrieve the dining table :oops: but he does have a 6x 2and a half meter kennel lol that he loves and is very happy in his warm insulated bed ,thanks for the food advice :good:

CSJ CP XTRA mixed with CP 21 at 50% ratio, fed twice a day - I have just used it on 2 rescue GWPs that came in to me and they have put weight on in a nice steady controlled way - both now look really good.

Mike

Am abit lost to what these are could you simplify please,sorry if that sounds daft :)

Mike (MiLisCer) will be spot on once you decipher the science behind his post :lol:

Back to your original question, Baker's IMO is not a good food. Get some decent quality dry - FWIW I use Arden Grange and buy it from Berriewood Wholesale online, it is not overly expensive. But I have 2 dogs that don't carry much weight, they get some Nature's Diet wet meat in with one feed a day and that fattens them up. More, good quality, wet food should do the trick.

And BTW I am in agreement with you, if your dog is kenneled then fine take him in if he is ill, but get him back outside as soon as his condition permits. Kent sometimes talk sense :lol:;)

Edited by WGD

Am abit lost to what these are could you simplify please,sorry if that sounds daft :)

Not as hard as it sounds honest!

www.csjk9.com

Then you want one bag of CP Xtra - http://www.csjk9.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=54&idcategory=5

One bag of CP 21 - http://www.csjk9.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=45&idcategory=5

Mix them together at a rate of 50% CP Xtra and 50% CP21 for each feed - so put a BIG scoop of CP Xtra in his bowl and add a big scoop of CP21 on top of it - feed him this twice a day.

Mike

Mike (MiLisCer) will be spot on once you decipher the science behind his post :lol:

Back to your original question, Baker's IMO is not a good food. Get some decent quality dry - FWIW I use Arden Grange and buy it from Berriewood Wholesale online, it is not overly expensive. But I have 2 dogs that don't carry much weight, they get some Nature's Diet wet meat in with one feed a day and that fattens them up. More, good quality, wet food should do the trick.

And BTW I am in agreement with you, if your dog is kenneled then fine take him in if he is ill, but get him back outside as soon as his condition permits. Kent sometimes talk sense :lol:;)

lol cheers i will get him off that and try the other stuff :good: