Dont buy a Nissan

monkeyjaimz

Had my Navara from new for just over two years, done 40k miles, had it serviced with dixons nissan every 6 months on the nose.

Last monday morning, a conrod on the 4th cylinder dropped into a piston or something and the end result was a massive hole in my engine.

Still, not to worry - its still under warranty right? WRONG!

apparantly I've done more miles than they say I should in between my 6 month services (last service was a major one 2 weeks before this happened) and therefore my warranty is void! B)

Been on the phone with nissan 'customer services' all morning - no joy whatsoever.

Also have a nissan van which have had from new for 6 yrs and been serviced with dixons nissan every 6 months just the same, doesnt make any differance to them though.

Whats the point in being a loyal customer and paying a premium for service that when you need it, it simply isnt there :good:

Im told it needs a whole new engine - £8-9k

In short - do not buy a nissan vehicle if you expect any kind of service from them in the future :D

Mate that is shocking, but they have you by the curlies cause it will say service interval every xx,000 miles or 6 months whichever comes sooner.

Still **** tho, and to think was only looking at the Navara the other day thinking might like to get one.

Thanks for helping me decide and sorry to hear your news :good:

Thats what they said, it's actually 6k miles or 6 months. Which would be fine, but I didnt know that. Apparantly neither did the nissan dealership who's been servicing it for the past 2 and a bit years - as they never mentioned it after each service.

My gf has a ford, when she takes that in for a service, they pre book the next one for her and / or tell her roughly when the next one is due, the same is true of my dads grand cherokee.

The watchword here for me is SERVICE, dont mean to shout but im rather pi**ed off about the situation :good:

Thats what they said, it's actually 6k miles or 6 months. Which would be fine, but I didnt know that. Apparantly neither did the nissan dealership who's been servicing it for the past 2 and a bit years - as they never mentioned it after each service.

My gf has a ford, when she takes that in for a service, they pre book the next one for her and / or tell her roughly when the next one is due, the same is true of my dads grand cherokee.

The watchword here for me is SERVICE, dont mean to shout but im rather pi**ed off about the situation :good:

Fair enough mate, I would be ****** off too. had a similar situation a while back.

Had a car under warranty, Clutch release bearing failed, waited a reasonable amount of time for them to come and get it and fix but no show. Phoned them told them giving it to my mechanic to fix, they said OK. Anyway he fixes and keeps the knackered bearing for 2 weeks. Then bin time comes so he launches it in the bin. That day they send an assessor to look at the part. The conversation went as follows:

My mech: "well mate kept the part on the shelf for 2 weeks you didnt show so lobbed it in the bin this morning with a load of other stuff, you can get it out the bin if you want?"

Assessor - "no thanks mate its ok"

And off he goes.

Long story short they wont pay for it cause he did not see the part, no amount of explaining he could have done etc worked.

I footed the bill.

Renault are just as ****e mate B)

Good grief, conrod failure at 40K??.

I thought these things were supposed to be rugged outdoor go anywhere anytime type vehicles??.

Even if the mileage was over you would have thought with todays top spec oils etc it would have lasted till the next visit.

Still with names like warrior, bandit and thunder out there maybe there's a hint that these really are no more than pumped up plastic wannabe 'trucks'

Good grief, conrod failure at 40K??.

I thought these things were supposed to be rugged outdoor go anywhere anytime type vehicles??.

Still with names like warrior, bandit and thunder out there maybe there's a hint that these really are no more than pumped up plastic wannabe 'trucks'

You've hit the nail on the head there mate. I've been looking around for recon engines etc. and during my searches I've discovered that it's a very common fault.

I spoke to a workshop in london about it and the owner said "if i had 20 navara engines on monday morning, i'd have sold them all by tuesday - it's that common"

Legal action is your best bet, basically vehicles have to be fit for purpose. You have done everything possible your dealership hasn't advisesd you any differently so best thing is get some legal advice either citizens advice bureau or solicitor and start threatening them. They will back down as its a very well known problem.

Oh Oh look out the barrack room lawyers are at it again! :good:

This is standard **** from most large companies these days it's called 'customer service' B) and I'm sorry to say but you haven't a hope in hell. Nissan aren't the only ones, I've had it happen with Land Rover TWICE, 30000 miles on a disco and the timing chain failed but not their problem bought a demo model disco from a main dealer that they'd put a new engine in without altering the log book details or telling me not their problem and a Mercedes 50000 miles and the rear suspension failed but again not their problem. It's like insurance companies if they can find a way to invalidate your policy/warranty they will.

At the end of the day it's the consumer who pays every time :D

Oh Oh look out the barrack room lawyers are at it again! :good:

This is standard **** from most large companies these days it's called 'customer service' :D and I'm sorry to say but you haven't a hope in hell. Nissan aren't the only ones, I've had it happen with Land Rover TWICE, 30000 miles on a disco and the timing chain failed but not their problem bought a demo model disco from a main dealer that they'd put a new engine in without altering the log book details or telling me not their problem and a Mercedes 50000 miles and the rear suspension failed but again not their problem. It's like insurance companies if they can find a way to invalidate your policy/warranty they will.

At the end of the day it's the consumer who pays every time :lol:

B)

Run a peugeot 407 diesel estate for work, and to be fair everything thats gone wrong or fallen off has been put right, no questions asked.

This is a hard working car in use everyday on A roads and motorways banging up some fair old miles in the last two years. But even after all my considerate driving :good: , to date they've replaced the cat, gearbox, engine mounts and air con compresor as well as a nearside wheel bearing, always with a smile and courtesy car and quick turnaround. Serviced on the button as near to the shedule as time will allow, furthest over was 3K miles.

Sounds as though Nissan are sitting tight on a known problem.

Watchdog give 'em a ring and see if you can contact any other poor **** they're trying to stitch up.

Legal action is your best bet, basically vehicles have to be fit for purpose. You have done everything possible your dealership hasn't advisesd you any differently so best thing is get some legal advice either citizens advice bureau or solicitor and start threatening them. They will back down as its a very well known problem

But forget the citizens advice go for the solicitor it will cost you a few pennies but you should get that back when they back down and also don`t forget any other expences.

It's hard to fathom how a buyer of a new car doesn't know his service intervals, and you have almost doubled the mileage the manufacturer states the car should be serviced at not once - but four times. :good:

Please don't take this as a personal attack, but surely there must be a darn good reason why Nissan would specify a much shorter than usual milage when most of their competitors have 10k mileages. Perhaps they know the oil or filter wont survive 10k miles in that engine? B)

And for the Nissan dealer to claim they didn't know the intervals sounds utter tosh. I truly hope it gets done for you but I wouldn't hold my breath for it to happen mate.

I've been looking around for recon engines etc. and during my searches I've discovered that it's a very common fault.

I spoke to a workshop in london about it and the owner said "if i had 20 navara engines on monday morning, i'd have sold them all by tuesday - it's that common"

Sorry to hear about your troubles Mate :yes:

Thanks for sharing your problems though. I was seriously considering chopping in my Disco for a Navarra. That plan has been well and truly kicked into touch.

Oh Oh look out the barrack room lawyers are at it again! :yes:

This is standard **** from most large companies these days it's called 'customer service' :lol: and I'm sorry to say but you haven't a hope in hell. Nissan aren't the only ones, I've had it happen with Land Rover TWICE, 30000 miles on a disco and the timing chain failed but not their problem bought a demo model disco from a main dealer that they'd put a new engine in without altering the log book details or telling me not their problem and a Mercedes 50000 miles and the rear suspension failed but again not their problem. It's like insurance companies if they can find a way to invalidate your policy/warranty they will.

At the end of the day it's the consumer who pays every time :lol:

Right barrack room lawyer maybe but the points to bear in mind are the vehicle has been dealer serviced from new, the dealer hasn't pointed out the service interval ok the owner should know but when you pay for dealer servicing with the intention of keeping to the terms of the warranty then you do expect them to give you a clue.

Fit for purpose means pretty much how long you should expect an engine to last and it is far more than 40K that is ridiculous. The CAB will confirm it all and Nissan are having an absolute laugh charging 8K for an engine when you can buy a new navara for twice that, at the very least they should be contributing heavily to it. What you have to do is fight the CAB will explain the best way. I've a mate just won a case against Peugeot after a cam belt broke after 20K that they had changed he had to take it to court and went through hell over it after threat after threat from them about invalidating the warranty in numerous ways but in the end it was found in his favour and they payed far more than if they had repaired the failure.

These days the law is far more on the consumers side so don't sit back take some advice keep a log of all dealings with Nissan and keep pushing them.

It's hard to fathom how a buyer of a new car doesn't know his service intervals, and you have almost doubled the mileage the manufacturer states the car should be serviced at not once - but four times. :yes:

Please don't take this as a personal attack, but surely there must be a darn good reason why Nissan would specify a much shorter than usual milage when most of their competitors have 10k mileages. Perhaps they know the oil or filter wont survive 10k miles in that engine? :lol:

And for the Nissan dealer to claim they didn't know the intervals sounds utter tosh. I truly hope it gets done for you but I wouldn't hold my breath for it to happen mate.

Like I said at the start of the thread, I thought I was right getting it serviced every 6 months as thats what I was led to beleive when I aquired the vehicle.

If I didnt think I was servicing it in accordance with the warrenty conditions etc why would I bother taking it to a Nissan dealer to have it serviced when I could get it done far cheaper locally?

If I had been told It needed servicing at more regular intervals, that would have been fine, but I wasnt. Nor when I took it in for a service was was I given a tap on the shoulder and told it was doing too many miles.

After doing my research and discovering that it is a common problem, I now beleive that they knew it wasnt being serviced at the correct intervals and purposefully said nothing to correct the situation to save having to pay out for an expensive repair when the time inevitably came.

I'm just thankful that I was only travelling on a minor road a mile or so from work when it happened and not doing 70mph down the M62 like I could have been :lol: could've been a very differant outcome in that situation.

At the end of the day, Nissan have washed their hands of it and the truck is sat with the engine in the back on a forecourt.

There is still quite a bit of money owing on it, and it's going to cost more than its worth to repair - hence my opinion of Nissan as a company is that they are moraly reprehensable and if they continue on this same track, wont have very many loyal customers like I have been for the last 6 years :lol:

These days the law is far more on the consumers side so don't sit back take some advice keep a log of all dealings with Nissan and keep pushing them.

Cheers mate, willl look into it :lol:

I'm just in the process of buying a Nissan Navara Aventura so been asking the question. Never come across that problem say the dealers (maybe I should get that on tape :yes: ) but the stated service intervals are every 2 years OR every 18000 miles whichever comes first!