Shotgun length

scrob

Hi guys

Further to my prior post about changing my gun to a side by side, I have another question. I have my eye on a couple of AYA No.2's in local shops, one in 25" (which is immaculate and quite cheap at £1k) and the other is 26" and a bit more expensive.

My question is, what length should I go for? The trend seems to be that people prefer 28" length; I have asked the shops and they say that a shorter gun will shoot the same distance but it is slightly more difficult to shoot as it loses momentum quicker when being swung following the target.

Any thoughts??

Hi guys

Further to my prior post about changing my gun to a side by side, I have another question. I have my eye on a couple of AYA No.2's in local shops, one in 25" (which is immaculate and quite cheap at £1k) and the other is 26" and a bit more expensive.

My question is, what length should I go for? The trend seems to be that people prefer 28" length; I have asked the shops and they say that a shorter gun will shoot the same distance but it is slightly more difficult to shoot as it loses momentum quicker when being swung following the target.

Any thoughts??

sounds like you answered it pal :whistling: if it feels comfortable go for it i am not bothered about trends its what suits you mate :good:

Well I was really just hoping to see what some other people's experiences had been - I won't get a chance to shoot before I buy other than swinging them around in the shop.

The 25" gun is £1,050 and the 26" is £1,500, so I don't want to make the wrong decision! I would really like to buy the cheaper gun, but not if it will be harder to shoot with and harder to sell down the line..

Well I was really just hoping to see what some other people's experiences had been - I won't get a chance to shoot before I buy other than swinging them around in the shop.

The 25" gun is £1,050 and the 26" is £1,500, so I don't want to make the wrong decision! I would really like to buy the cheaper gun, but not if it will be harder to shoot with and harder to sell down the line..

Is 1" of steel going to make £450 worth of difference to your shooting? ( well 2" if you count each barrel )

I think its generally accepted that a longer barrel does follow through easier than a shorter barrel.

However, there are a lot of other factors involved, including the physique of the shooter and the weight of the gun.

Its probable that the two guns you are looking at will be fixed chokes, which is something else you should consider for whatever shooting you intend to do with them.

If most of your shooting experience is with a 28" barrel, then you really should try to test fire a 26" barrel gun, especially if you are thinking of spending £1000+ on one.

Scrob, hi,

Lots of good advice so far. As is the norm for AYA these models (if standard and not special order) were choked 1/4 by 1/2. I would suggest that you have them both checked to make sure that they haven't been "got at". If all is well, pick the one that you feel most comfortable with. AYAs in good condition will always sell if you ever wanted to move on.

Good luck

i bought a new gun last year and had the same prob. 28 or 30 inch. in the end i went for 28 with multi choke. i thought the shorter gun would be more suitable for moving around in the hide and swinging under brances when roosting. prob not the best advise but it made my mind up.

hi there! not much difference in barrel lengths there [ they're both short] it all depends on your shooting style, if you tend to line up the barrel and follow through with the shot then neither of these guns is ideal. If your chosen style is "poke and hope" then either one will suffice as quick snap shots will be a doddle once you've mastered it, what you may find is that the target will be aquired quicker, but you may find it hard to stay on target if you delay taking the shot. the choice is yours, but you may want to consider a longer barrel [28"]

first, or just try one before you buy cos they ain't cheap are they.

hope this helps...

I shot a 26 inch skeet-gun for many,many years for all my game and pigeon shooting . It was a fabulous gun to use and was a fast moving gun . I keep reading all these posts about barrel length and wonder if its a gunmakers con to keep telling us that longer is better ,so that we keep buying more guns . As most of you know I have been shooting for many years ,and I will tell you now that I carnt tell the difference between a 26 inch barrelled gun and a 28 inch barrelled gun as far as performance is concerned . Next thing you know the gunmakers will bring out 50 inch barrel and we will all want one .

Harnser .

I am with you harnser i shoot with a 25.5 inch beretta that was a 28 inch beretta i touched the bottom barrel down in some mud while crawling through a blackthorn hedge,somebody shouted that some birds were coming back i put 2 cartridges in and bang went the bottom barrel.I got it repaired and have shot with it for the last 8 yrs, i have used it on every thing including geese and foxes and i love it and i have killed some high birds with it.So if it fits and you like it,buy it.

Geordie

I haqd the same problemlast ,omth when I bought my AYA No2 I found a 25 and 28 inch I like both I got to shoot both and could not tell the difference in swing.

I'm 6'4 and bit of a lump so that may have helped.

I had 2 options a 25" with nicer wood but slightly srcuffier or a 28" great condition but very plain wood.

I bought the 28" as it looks better prepotioned to me.

I was also told that the guns from the late 70's early 80's are better than the earlier guns and the 25" like the AYA XXV are cheaper at the mo as the fashion is for longer barrels.

Good luck I love mine.

Some great advice here guys, keeping the options open in both directions! I am seriously tempted by the 25" as it is nearby, great condition and a lot cheaper than most, however the thought of higher recoil might put me off a bit. I'll see if the shop is able to let me try it out alongside my current 31" Browning and see how it feels!

Keep the comments flowing - I'm going gun shopping this Saturday.

Edited by scrob

Here's my thoughts for what its worth. I have shot 28" guns and the longest is my silenced ones 34"?. I think weight distribution affects swing more than length. If a short gun is weighted forward of the leading hand it will swing slower and if a long gun is weighted at the butt it will swing quick. Thats what I have found its all about balance points having said that most long guns will have a balance point more forwards hence the tendency to swing slower. Inertia I think.

It might be worth remembering that the 25" barreled gun is, in all probability one of AYA`s copies of the Churchill xxv, a style of gun made popular by the aforementioned maker in the late 1920`s or 30`s.

If it is, it will be fitted with a narrow,raised "quick sighting"rib intended to cause the shot charge to be thrown slightly higher than the more conventionally ribbed guns of today which shoot relatively flat.

Churchill developed the gun, which is designed to be very fast handling, to be complimented by his own style of using it to best effect. The aptly named "Churchill method".

You`ll have to look up more about his method elsewhere but in essence, it is a very quick and instinctive style of shooting which relies on a subconscious application of lead by virtue of the speed of the mount and fast handling of the gun.

If you do not already use this shooting method or cannot adapt to it, you may well find the xxv is not for you.

Churchills xxv gun enjoyed a brief burst of popularity when it first appeared but soon fell from general favour. Although it remained in Churchills sales catalogue until they went out of business, relatively few were actually made in later years.

The xxv idea was never patented by Churchill but almost no other maker elected to follow his lead, preferring to stick with the more conventionally shootable barrel lengths.

Just to quantify mudpatten's "brief burst of popularity", out of all Churchill guns sold the percentage being XXV peaked between 1930 to 1934 at 93%. It did drop but in 1965 to 1969 it was still 61% and although the total number of guns sold dropped in the 1970s, the figure still remained well over 50%. Brief?

Cheers

Forget about the recoil. If really is a problem, use a softer cartidge or a smaller load. if you are on target, it will still kill.

I shoot a silver pigeon 20G with 32 grammes on occasions and the recoil is not a problem.

(It's the mounting... stupid.)

FG

Recoil is cumulative and does hurt you :good:

A bad mount just makes it worse.

Mudpatten, hi,

No, mate, that was a good post and you were right as Scrob confirmed. I just wanted to pick up on "brief". AYA still think that it's worthwhile producing their version and it makes you wonder what we'd be shooting if the British makers had adopted the new manufacturing technology as did AYA, Beretta, etc instead of ignoring it and consequently going to the wall. Everyone to their own which is as it should be but for pigeon shooting from a hide where range is not really a factor I just think that 25" barrels come into their own.

Regards

Phil

Hi guys,

having read all the way throgh this thread and spoken to numerous local shops here in my quest for a no.2, reading between the lines I think I will hold out for a 28" barrell to give me a bit more flexibility with the gun.

Incidentally, I've been offered one with a semi pistol grip and factory optional 3" magnum chambers, but I think I'd prefer a "standard" spec, plus there isn't much colour hardening left which puts me off a bit too. I'm in no rush at all - the search continues :blink: